DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Legend/Supporter
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just me being dense, but I can't seem to find a CLEAR answer to this question...

...does the 721 record based on timeslot, ala 501 - or does it record and adapt to the show, ala Tivo?

Now I am not so concerned with "wishlists" and "suggestion"...maybe not even "season passes". Just if I want to record Alias, do I set up Sunday from 9 to 10 - or do I tell it "record Alias"

It just seems that every other attribute of the 721 is dicussed with gusto, except this one
Thanks kids

· Legend/Supporter
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am getting skeptical about this now - with all the touting of dual tuners, internet, record-2-while-watch-1...and NO mention of "show tracking"??
The identified features are great but the ability to follow a show, in my opinion, is one of THE best attributes of the Tivo

· Legend
123 Posts
Best attributes of TIVO, eh? Well, my 7100 Dishplayer also knew a few weeks ago when SURVIVOR had a special Wednesday show and automatically taped it and the subsequent Thursday show. Also, last night my 7100 recognized the Sunday finale for SURVIVOR and taped that two-hour episode as well.

Looking ahead in my PVR listings, Tuesday it automatically set itself to record two hours of BUFFY's season finale...

If the old 7100 Dishplayer can do this, I see no reason why the new 721 cannot...

· Legend/Supporter
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swampy, I only have a 501 and was using Tivo as an example. I really didn't know the DP could do this.
Since DP CAN track shows then I also would suspect that the 721 will also...except I guess I would have ALSO expected the 501 to have this capability.
I sure hope so...

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Hey Swamp,

If your 501 was set to tape Buffy every week at 9 pm, you will not get the second hour. I know, because mine is set this way, and after seeing your post yesterday I double checked and saw that it had automatically set itself to record the full two hour Buffy finale. But lo and behold, when I got home 20 minutes ago, I saw that my red recording light was not on. Sure enough, it had only recorded the first hour. Luckily I have the lifeline cable for my locals, and our Fox affiliate (yes Fox, probably because we don't have a UPN in our DMA) airs Buffy at 10 pm on Tuesdays. Looks like I'll be setting the VCR...

G

·
Originally posted by EvanS
...NO mention of "show tracking"??
The identified features are great but the ability to follow a show, in my opinion, is one of THE best attributes of the Tivo
I'll be very surprised if the 721 is much more (at least at first) than a dual tuner 501.

Of course I like the 501!

Assuming the 721 has a new EPG and works reliably it'd be a viable contender if priced under $350.

If you like TiVo's automation and enjoy watching everything timeshifted, TiVo's design specialty, nothing can beat it.

If you're not interested in watching everything timeshifted a la TiVo; UTV, Dishplayer, and the 501 are all worth considering in perhaps that order of descending automation. UTV and Dishplayer can follow a show.

But TiVo might be the best choice if automatically recording programs with the least amount of uncertainty is the most important feature for you.

G

·
I thought the 721 had a broadband connection that would allow streaming video and audio, already hooked up to your home theatre system. That's be cool if they'd implement it. Also, maybe the extra 15Gb or so is usable for MP3s in the future...

· Legend/Supporter
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it WILL be interesting to see the implementation of the USB connections.
Ya know, the JVC 8010 and 9010 A/V rcvrs have a USB port on the front of them. I don't have one so I don't know if it is in, out, or both...but there could be some posibilities here.

· Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
I double checked and saw that it had automatically set itself to record the full two hour Buffy finale
Unfortuneately, if the 501 has a recurring timer set for 1 hour, it will show the timer symbol for the whole 2 hour show but won't pick up the second hour. You need to go in and edit the timer manually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.