DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to get my parent's 722 for free. Is it of any use to me if I don't have any dish network service? I currently have ota hd and googletv/internet. Even if it only let's me integrate the google tv with my ota it would awesome. But I would like to use the dvr for ota too.

I'm open to paying small monthly fee for guide or whatever may be useful, but not interested in any kind of pay tv service. (unless I can order just Speed/Fuel ;) )

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
:bangThey are NOT a good door stop. Too large when set flat. If you set them upright, they tip over.

They make a better paperweight!;)

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,425 Posts
Basalt said:
I have the opportunity to get my parent's 722 for free. Is it of any use to me if I don't have any dish network service? I currently have ota hd and googletv/internet. Even if it only let's me integrate the google tv with my ota it would awesome. But I would like to use the dvr for ota too.

I'm open to paying small monthly fee for guide or whatever may be useful, but not interested in any kind of pay tv service. (unless I can order just Speed/Fuel ;) )

Thanks
Is it 722 or 722k ? If later, is it have MT2 (OTA) module inserted ?

·
Legend
158 Posts
You can play ALL of the recorded content. No other real use.
So, if no content to play, sell the unit or rip out the HD and get an external usb enclosure for it & format for whatever OS you have on your PC. Use remaining case to throw at your neighbor's pet coyote that is howling!! :)

Basalt said:

Thanks

·
Legend
253 Posts
RVRambler said:
You can play ALL of the recorded content. No other real use.
So, if no content to play, sell the unit or rip out the HD and get an external usb enclosure for it & format for whatever OS you have on your PC. Use remaining case to throw at your neighbor's pet coyote that is howling!! :)
How big is the HD and is it really worth it for reuse?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts
Removing a hard drive from a DVR is like selling the motor out of your Lexus and throwing the rest away.

The receiver with the HD is more valuable than the HD alone and some of these drives will not spin up in a PC anyway because they have a special setting in software that spins it up - probably useless in a PC.

Sell the owned receiver and get a couple of hundred bucks back.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
And it is just as likely to be leased and the parents do not know they don't own it. They paid a fee for it so they must own it, Not.

I'd want to check with Dish to be sure it really is owned before doing anything to it.

·
Legend
253 Posts
So if it not owned or leased, it is a brick?
Is it usefuel for parts at all to anyone?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.