DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 722 DVR that is on it's last legs. Dish sent a new 722. I was going to buy an external hard drive to transfer the old programming, but a Dish tech support said only their external hard drive will work, $99. Is it possible to use the old 722 as an external hard drive? Thank you.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,268 Posts
Yes, it will works regardless the dish CSR push.
If you mean pull HDD from old 722 and use it as external for new 722, then no.
Just connect USB EHD to old DVR, download your recordings to the EHD and use it with new 722; prepare to long run for the process,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P Smith, thank you for your reply. I don't know anything about EHD. I need an EHD that is single with it's own power supply and I don't know what that means. Also a 2.0 USB cable. The descriptions on Amazon are not user friendly for a non tech person. Is connecting the EHD to the old DVR and downloading the recordings easy?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Suitable hard drives (self-powered and <=2TB in size) aren't easy to find anymore. The single spindle criteria hasn't been a concern for quite a few years.

Some have had success using 2.5" drives with a self-powered USB hub (and even a couple without a hub). Sometimes the Q&A on an Amazon offering will specifically mention DISH compatibility.

If you aren't willing to research, there are suitable drives available for ridiculous prices on Amazon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suitable hard drives (self-powered and <=2TB in size) aren't easy to find anymore. The single spindle criteria hasn't been a concern for quite a few years.

Some have had success using 2.5" drives with a self-powered USB hub (and even a couple without a hub). Sometimes the Q&A on an Amazon offering will specifically mention DISH compatibility.

If you aren't willing to research, there are suitable drives available for ridiculous prices on Amazon.
Thank you for your reply. I didn’t understand most of your comment. I would like to do the research but I don’t even know where to begin.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
The DISH requirements are pretty comprehensive:
  • USB 2.0 compatible -- this means it must be USB 2.0 or higher (not USB C)
  • 50GB to 2TB -- you'll want 500GB or greater to save a full ViP722
  • a single disk drive (not flash memory or a combination of disk drives) -- single spindle
The reference standard is probably the Western Digital My Book in 1TB or 2TB form. You need to find something that either meets the criteria set forth above or can be made to act like it.

I've also used Seagate Expansion series drives but again, finding drives 2TB and under can be problematic.

Devices that feature 3.5" drives are perhaps more likely to be successful.

Using the search terms "EHD" and "DVR expander" can be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you for your reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts