DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Legend
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem and was wondering if anyone could provide advice. For the last few days, since recieving 0xFA, I have been intermittently been getting the 771 error on the MPEG2 HD channels. When this happens, I get no picture on the effected channels. Also, if I check signal strength, I have no signal on Sats 110, 99and signal on only 3 transponders on 119. 103 and 101 are fine.

I have checked all the inside connections to make sure they are tight. I have "reset" and "reset everything" on the HR20 as well as unplugging, waiting and replugging the box. Nothing helps. I first thought this was a problem with the latest firmware update but am beggining to suspect either a bad LNB or faulty multiswitch. The strange thing is is this comes and goes. It seeems like I lose the channels during the day but they return in the evening. Our weather has been warm (low - mid 70's) during the day and clear. No wind or cloud cover to speak of.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is likley causing this?

Thanks,

·
Legend
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, re-downloaded 0xFA and now all is working. Not usre if it is related to SW or just coincidence. Has anyone else had this problem??

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
jovac said:
Okay, re-downloaded 0xFA and now all is working. Not usre if it is related to SW or just coincidence. Has anyone else had this problem??
Part of the redownload is a reset, so you may have been able to solve the problem with a red button reset and not having to redownload the firmware. Try that next time (if there is a next time), before redownloading.

If the redownload of the firmware doesn't help, do a full format before giving up.

·
Legend
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hasan said:
Part of the redownload is a reset, so you may have been able to solve the problem with a red button reset and not having to redownload the firmware. Try that next time (if there is a next time), before redownloading.

If the redownload of the firmware doesn't help, do a full format before giving up.
Thanks Hasan but I already did a reset, a reformat and an unplug re-plug. Nothing has resoved the problem. Re-downloading 0xFA was a last resort as I can't think of anything else to try. As I said, it seems to have fixed it for now but I am not sure if it was coincidental or not. I will know if the problem reappears I guess.

Thank you,

·
Legend
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed a pattern with this problem. For the last few days, I have lost my channels and gotten the 771 error only during the day. The channels return and error goes away every evening. Any thoughts why this would be?

·
Mentor
32 Posts
jovac said:
I have noticed a pattern with this problem. For the last few days, I have lost my channels and gotten the 771 error only during the day. The channels return and error goes away every evening. Any thoughts why this would be?
This pattern would suggest moisture in the LNB assembly, or a bad connection (again due to moisture) between the sidecar and the main LNB assembly.

To validate, look at the signal strength on the problem LNB every hour and note the progression. If it is slowly rising during the day, then it's clear the fog in the lens is evaporating and letting that LNB see the sat again.

I have a similar problem after big rainstorms, my 103 LNB fogs up and I lose my HD locals.

Getting a new LNB assembly or a new slimline Dish seems to be the answer.

If you get just the LNB, then ensure it's weather-sealed with silicone at critical joints before it's installed.

·
AllStar
107 Posts
JonFo said:
This pattern would suggest moisture in the LNB assembly, or a bad connection (again due to moisture) between the sidecar and the main LNB assembly.

To validate, look at the signal strength on the problem LNB every hour and note the progression. If it is slowly rising during the day, then it's clear the fog in the lens is evaporating and letting that LNB see the sat again.

I have a similar problem after big rainstorms, my 103 LNB fogs up and I lose my HD locals.

Getting a new LNB assembly or a new slimline Dish seems to be the answer.

If you get just the LNB, then ensure it's weather-sealed with silicone at critical joints before it's installed.
I have the opposite problem. I lose the signal (101 sat) in the evenings and on Sundays.

·
5 Posts
jovac said:
I have been having this same issue with the 110 satellite, also for the past few days.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
How much does your temperature, humidity (fog, if any) etc swing during these times? Any dew on the dish assembly, cables, etc?

·
Legend
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meklos said:
How much does your temperature, humidity (fog, if any) etc swing during these times? Any dew on the dish assembly, cables, etc?
Temperatures in St. Louis have been warm of late. Getting into high 60's low 70's during the day. 40's at night. Usually there is a bit of moisture in the air.

I have a tech coming out tomorrow. Hopefully he/she will figure it out. I will post if they find the culprit.

Thanks for all the help, it seems as if a problem with the Dish/LNB's is the concensous most likely problem.

Thanks again,

·
Legend
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. The tech just left and it was a bad (cracked) connector on the cable which connects the sidecar LNB's to the dish. They replaced and hopefully all is well.

Thanks again,

·
Legend
169 Posts
Well,

I had an installer come out yesterday...installed new Slimline Dish and added the HR20-700 to my extensive DVR system (1-HR10-250, 3 DSR7000s).

Everything seemed to work fine when he left lastnight...then my HR20 stated that it needed to do the 0xFA download. After downloading it reset and I didn't noticed anything...well, today when I got home from work...all my receivers only receive the EVEN transponders.

I've re-set the receivers and no go...pissed me off because now I don't get OLN so I couldn't record the Sharks game :(

What pissed me off more is that I had to take a day off work so I could be home for the installer yesterday...and now this. I called DirecTV and they're sending someone out Sat morning...but 3 days w/o 1/2 my channels is bogus!

My guess is that it is the multi-switch...anyone else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.