DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mentor
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting the 771 error off and on. It usually goes away in a short time or I reset the receiver. I know the dish is not out of line because we have had 45 mph wind lately and it is ok. I have checked all the connections. The Direct rep had me do the system check. It showed no problem. She told me to call when the problem occurred again. I told her the problem would probably go away before I could call in and get thru to a rep. What really ticks me off they will not sent a tech even though I have the protection plan. I think the receiver is bad. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? Sorry I have been so long. Thanks for any help.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
The first question is, which 771 error are you getting? Is it 771 Searching for Satellite, 771A or 771B?

Info on your setup may also help. What dish do you have, which LNB, do you have SWM, receiver model, maybe signal strengths.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
westview said:
I have gotten the searching for signal and the 771A
What is the SWM Power Inserter plugged into? The PI don't like power strips. They need to be plug into a normal outlet.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Drucifer said:
What is the SWM Power Inserter plugged into? The PI don't like power strips. They need to be plug into a normal outlet.
Not true. However, DirecTv CSRs and techs are instructed to plug directly into the wall outlet to help reduce the chance of the PI getting shut off if the power strip gets shut off.

·
Problem Solver
1,916 Posts
My gut is pointing to a loose or corroded connector or severed cabling.

Wild guess. But those are the obvious things I look for first.

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
To the OP .... I had this same issue a few weeks ago: intermittent 771 and blockiness, etc. If I went to the Sat Signal Strength screen I would see all even transponders were 0 then a short time later everything would work again. Following advice given from some knowledgeable folks here, I swapped cables on the SWM to try to isolate whether the issue was with the SWM or in the path from the dish to the SWM. Basically I moved the 0 signals from the even to the odd transponders, proving the SWM was good. I called DIRECTV when I had the 771, went through all the motions and unplugged, plugged in, ran the test, and they finally agreed to a service call. I thought it was going to be the LNB on the dish, but it turned out to be the connections at the grounding block - they were all corroded, causing intermittent signal issues. The tech replaced the grounding blocks and put on new connections and it's been fine since.

Hopefully you get a hold of DIRECTV when you have the 771 again ...

·
Legend
106 Posts
I would be very tempted to tell them that I had the problem even when I didn't, just to get a tech out. You are paying for the service and for the insurance, so they need to make sure it is working properly.

I had a 771 a few weeks ago that, as it turned out, came from water inside the cable running from the dish to my home (when I upgraded to the newest dish so I could get HD, the installer used the same cabling that I had connected to my first dish, that was put up in 1995--I wasn't happy). With the protection plan, D* sent someone out the next day and the problem was fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.