DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Cool Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day of the NFL Sunday Ticket HD and the problems begin...

I have a brand new (purchased myself from BB) HR21-100 with the latest firmware. While attempting to watch NFL HD today, I was confronted with a "771 searching for signal" error on all the game channels - all other HD channels (HBO/Show/ESPN etc) were fine. Also, I have another non-DVR receiver (H21-200) that receives the game channels fine.

Tried the usual with RBR, menu reset, swapping BBC's, etc with no joy. However, what I noticed is that if I was patient when tuning to a HD game channel and waited, the game would eventually come on. However, this would take almost 45-60 secs!

If I change game channels, I get the same 771 error for 45-60s and then it tunes fine. On my H21, there is also a delay, but it is more like 4-5sec. Changing from a game channel to some other HD (like ESPN) tunes in normally with any significant delay.

Any thoughts?

· Icon
551 Posts
Check your signal strength on 103c and 99c. If low, then low signal to noise ration may be causing the delay (more time to equalize).

Another possible problem is B band converted is changing frequencies slow, although that would likely show up only on one tuner. Might want to check connections to make sure things are tight.

· Cool Member
13 Posts
V'ger;1782322 said:
Check your signal strength on 103c and 99c. If low, then low signal to noise ration may be causing the delay (more time to equalize).

Another possible problem is B band converted is changing frequencies slow, although that would likely show up only on one tuner. Might want to check connections to make sure things are tight.
I am having the same problem, 771 searching for signal on all Superfan channels!!!!! Called into directv and they set up a service call! This is a bunch of crap!

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
K_cin said:
and it is only the NFL HD channels that are coming up 771......all other hd channels are fine
Could you verify your signal strengths on the 99(c) Sat? That is where the NFLST HD channels are being carried this year.

6 Posts
Experiencing long delays (45 sec) when switching between NFL Ticket channels and my local HD channel (Washington DC Metro). I can switch relatively quickly from local HD to local HD or from a Game on NFL Ticket HD to another Game on the NFL Ticket. The issue seems when switching between local and NFL Ticket.

Sure hope they get this fixed!

· Registered
8,035 Posts
K_cin said:
no signal on 99c at all......so is this a dish placement issue or possible cabling connection issue?
It could be LOS issue, cable/connector issue, LNB issue, a switch issue or a receiver issue. Without seeing the setup, it's hard to say.

· Cool Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just spent some time on the roof...

What I saw on 99c was that first viewing the signal meter on a particular transponder came up with no signal. If I sat for the 45-60s (like watching the game channels), the transponder showed signal (anywhere from 60's to 80's).

Changing to another transponder repeated this situation (seemed to be no different with even or odds), thus accounting for the 771 error every time I change the channel.

So, the dish is aligned to receive signal off 99c. But the unit isn't seeing it right away. Since my H21 isn't experiencing this delay (or it's a minor 4-5sec), it would seem to be something with the HR21.

I guess I'm glad I'm not alone with this problem...

· Godfather
467 Posts
I have had Sunday Ticket since it started and I had this problem last year too. They got so much of the interactive crap going on it its slowing stuff like basic channel changing down and hangs up other things too. It started when D* added all the interactive stuff. The Sunday Ticket package is an expensive package and one would think that basic channel changing would have been mastered by now. Please D* - keep your interactive crap - just give me a good picture and the ability to change channels in a reasonable amount of time.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
jjohns said:
I have had Sunday Ticket since it started and I had this problem last year too. They got so much of the interactive crap going on it its slowing stuff like basic channel changing down and hangs up other things too. It started when D* added all the interactive stuff. The Sunday Ticket package is an expensive package and one would think that basic channel changing would have been mastered by now. Please D* - keep your interactive crap - just give me a good picture and the ability to change channels in a reasonable amount of time.
I doubt that is the cause. The interactive layer loads *after* the channel is changed and tuned, not before. The interactive data is in the data stream itself.

· AllStar
60 Posts
I posted elsewhere, I've had 0 signal levels on 99(c) and 99(s) for over a week now, on both tuners. Have a service call scheduled for tomorrow (after signing up for the protection plan to get the service call for $20).

· Registered
53 Posts
ProntoMarco said:
Experiencing long delays (45 sec) when switching between NFL Ticket channels and my local HD channel (Washington DC Metro). I can switch relatively quickly from local HD to local HD or from a Game on NFL Ticket HD to another Game on the NFL Ticket. The issue seems when switching between local and NFL Ticket.

Sure hope they get this fixed!
I'm having exactly the same problem!

· Cool Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's what I eventually figured out...

After experiencing the long delays when first tuning to the NFL-HD channels, I noticed the same behavior when checking signal strengths on 99c. In fact, it made it darn difficult to try and fine tune my dish since I wanted to re-check alignment, I use the DVR signal meters and changing any of the transponders on 99c meant I would have to wait for up to a minute until a reading appeared.

Last week, I changed out my WB68 multiswitch for a SWM8 and problem solved. No more 771 errors when first changing to the NFL-HD channels, no more delays, and signal strengths on 99c in the 80-90's.

Maybe a problem with the Zinwell, BBC's, DVR, the combo - who knows. But now it's working :)

Give it a try -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.