DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Legend
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had D* for less than a month and suddenly my second tuner is giving 771 and 0 signal for all satellites. I have RG6 cable going from the satellite to an RG6 flat cable to get around the door back to RG6 cable and then to the box. I have no multiswitches and not sure how I should best test this to know if it would be the outside RG6 cable, flat RG6 cable, inside RG6 cable or the BBC?

· Legend
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well I checked and it is not the flat RG6 cable or the outside cable. I can keep the same line going to any of the outside flat cables and still get signal but the other one never gets any... Likely RG6 bad cable or BBC? I guess I should swap the BBC and that should show me for sure.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Basic steps would be to:
  1. swap the cables at the tuner
  2. swap the BBCs
If it changes with BBCs then replace the bad BBC
If it isn't the BBC and changes with the cable, then try to remove the flat cable and jumper the two coax.
If it doesn't change with the cable swap then it might be the receiver but reset the receiver and see if/how long it will or will not work.

· Legend
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
really weird... I swapped the lines with BBC completely and it still shows I have signal for tuner 1 and tuner 2 has absolutely nothing... Could it simply be my HR21 box tuner 2 died somehow? I'm going to unplug it for like 20 minutes and replug it in and see if I get the same thing.

· Legend
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I restarted the receiver... immediately came up with 771 searching for signal but when I hit to record a show I could then see another show when I switched. Checked signal strength and then it was showing normal readings for both tuners so I kept it on that for a couple of minutes and checked all satellites for both tuners. Now suddenly both tuners work again.... Does anyone have any clue what this could be? Possible a receiver going bad or a heat issue somehow? I have the receiver completely ventilated and my apartment about 72 so I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Restarting maybe, but you may need to unplug the unit for several minutes before booting it back up. As a last resort, after rebooting, when the light goes out and comes back on, hit 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote and redownload the software.

If it happens to you a lot, I would suspect a lnb. Since the LNB is powered by the receiver, you would have to power off all receivers (and multiswitch if you have a powered multiswitch) in order to reset the lnb. Usually if its the LNB tho, it will not be the entire line, but every other transponder, or individual satellites.

Remember regardless of what the signal meter screen tells you, always check channels 480-494 to verify correct LNB and receiver switching first.

· Godfather
461 Posts
fikuserectus said:
I had the same issue. Directv moved my receiver to a better location. This seemed to resolve the issue. However, I suspect this issue can be caused by many things.
moved it because of the cables being bent? what was the reasoning to move it? heat? cables? just curious.

· Legend
268 Posts
I've had the 771 message on one receiver for the better part of 8-9 months...but haven't gotten up the energy/anger level to call D* yet....if only because I know it will involve a 20 minute or more phone call of "test this" "test that, "check this".

I've had this receiver in 2 different locations...and have seen the message in both locations (it's an hr20-x00...don't recall off the top of my head if it's -100 or -700)

I also have another 4 HR2x's on my dish that work perfectly fine. I have a powered Zinwell 6x16 multiswitch. I've swapped out the lines behind the receiver in question, switched BBC's as well as switching out ports on the Multi-switch to see if the issue lies there. Never changes anything. The 771 message comes and goes.

I usually see it manifest itself on either the newer MPEG-4 channels....or on the older MPEG-2 channels (70-79 area)...but lately I even started to see it on 299---the SD version...which I *believe* is a 101 satellite channel?

Interestingly, when I've seen the 771 lately, I've hit record on an MPEG-4 channel...say, 501...then I'm able to tune in 299 SD version and hit record on that...and BOTH channels will come in. Then I stop recording on 299, hit record on 504, then stop recording and hit 299 and record...and both tuners seem to record for 299--the channel in question.

So I don't know WTF is up...other than to narrow it down to the receiver...or the dish..but, again, I don't have any issues like this with the other 4 HD receivers I have.

But---I haven't thought to try those test channels when this happens to see if those tune in.

:nono:

· Godfather
501 Posts
Jared701 said:
So I restarted the receiver... immediately came up with 771 searching for signal but when I hit to record a show I could then see another show when I switched. Checked signal strength and then it was showing normal readings for both tuners so I kept it on that for a couple of minutes and checked all satellites for both tuners. Now suddenly both tuners work again.... Does anyone have any clue what this could be? Possible a receiver going bad or a heat issue somehow? I have the receiver completely ventilated and my apartment about 72 so I wouldn't think that would be an issue.
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Eventually, I lost the second tuner again. It turned out to be a bad compression fitting at the ground block. Replaced it and all has been well since.

· Legend
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jaspear said:
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Eventually, I lost the second tuner again. It turned out to be a bad compression fitting at the ground block. Replaced it and all has been well since.
Mine isn't grounded so I don't think mine could be the same issue as yours. I'll double check all connections including outside though incase somehow I missed a loose wire.

· Icon
523 Posts
We've been getting intermittent 771's for over a month - on BOTH of or receivers (HR20 & H20) ... It only happens on the LILs (2,4,5,7). It's very strange how it starts - and usually starts in the afternoon and can/will last anywhere from an hour to 8 hours. We've been thru all the "test this, test that" crap from DTV call center. Now they want to schedule an $80 visit by a tech; but of course it's intermittent. The problem seems to have calmed down over the last 3 days for whatEver reason -- we've changed nothing.

I'm STILL not convinced that there is something going on at DTV that is causing this problem, but of course they won't fess to anything. Our system was rock solid for over a year since they forced the upgrade on us for MPEG4.

We're in the SF Bay Area.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
cody21 said:
Does anyone know what these Test channels are SUPPOSED to display? Are they documented some place?
490 and 491 are for 101
492 and 493 are for 119
494 is 110
496 is for 72
480 and 481 are 103
482 and 483 are 99

they show a message that says test channel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.