DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to only get this issue on one of my 3 HD DVRs, now I am getting it on all three. It also seems to be happening more frequently. Is there anything I can do on my end to help this? Fine tune the dish alignment, some sort of recorder reset, etc.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
jmoney said:
I used to only get this issue on one of my 3 HD DVRs, now I am getting it on all three. It also seems to be happening more frequently. Is there anything I can do on my end to help this? Fine tune the dish alignment, some sort of recorder reset, etc.
First, it is not your recorders. Something in the system leading up to the HRs is causing the problem. Quick guess: Some sort of problem with the dish. If you already have a Slimline, it might be alignment, or an LNB problem. If you don't have a Slimline, get one. Doubt if it is the multi-switch. Never really had a problem with them, although I would recommend the 6x16 rather than the 6x8. The 6x16 is powered by a separate power supply while the HRs power the 6x8 and thereby put more strain on the HRs.

Might be your cabling, depending on how old it is. Have you "snugged" up all your connections?

I would attack the dish first. That is probably where the problem lies. If you get a tech out to realign the dish and you still get the same problem have it realigned again and have the LNB changed.

I had this problem in the Spring. Got a new dish, switched the multi-switches to 6x16 and had recabling done. Had it realigned three times. Had a ground block installed. Had so many things done, I don't really know what caused the problem to go away. I only had the sig searching on one 21, my 20s were fine. The 21s seem to be a little more finicky.

Feel free to PM me if you think I can help.

Rich

· Registered
5,674 Posts
where its always tuner 2 on all 3 , and connections are good, I would suspect lnb based purely on my own experiences. however to accurately troubleshoot it you should bypass the switch (I know you lose 1 dvr) and see if the 2 remaining units still exhibit the issue. you can't rule something out if you don't take it out of the equation.
an alignment issue would, usually, show issues on both tuners. an lnb could, due to built in switch, cause issues on just 1 tuner. this is what I was dealing with 3 weeks ago. tuner 1 always worked, tuner 2 was a crapshoot as to whether it would work or not.
but you don't want to load the parts cannon and start throwing money at it without removing anything (switch, connections) that could affect it from the equation. as Rich said, he replaced a bunch of stuff and it worked, but did not know what the actual fix was.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ran basic system test on each reciever, here are the results...

HR21-700
tuner 1- ok, 79%
tuner 2- ok, 93%
LNB output - failed

HR21-700
tuner 1- ok, 0%
tuner 2- ok, 69%
LNB output- failed

HR20-700
tuner 1- ok, 81%
tuner 2- ok, 82%
LNB output- ok

Does this provide any further evidence of the possible problem?

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David MacLeod said:
I don't know if a bad switch would cause that lnb output error or not. if you bypass the switch, run straight to dish, does it give the same error?
At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm not quite sure what you mean by running straight from the dish. There are 4 cables coming from the dish into the multiswitch (on the input side). Are you saying that I can unplug any of those 4 then run it directly to my receiver?

· Registered
5,674 Posts
yes, use barrel connector if cable is not long enough. you can power 2 dvr's straight off the dish, if you hook right to the dish and the error goes away its a problem in the switch. you are sure its a wb616 switch right?

3 Posts
jmoney said:
ran basic system test on each reciever, here are the results...

HR21-700
tuner 1- ok, 79%
tuner 2- ok, 93%
LNB output - failed

HR21-700
tuner 1- ok, 0%
tuner 2- ok, 69%
LNB output- failed

HR20-700
tuner 1- ok, 81%
tuner 2- ok, 82%
LNB output- ok

Does this provide any further evidence of the possible problem?
I had a similar issue recently. One tuner would drop to all zeros and would take a RBR to come back. On the first visit, the tech replaced the multiswitch and realigned the dish. That didn't do the trick, same issue that night. On the second visit, the tech replaced the LNB. That has improved things dramatically. Only had a repeat of the problem once in three weeks as opposed to daily. I suggest you call in a tech and ask for a new LNB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.