DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn for the dreaded 771A error. File this under better being the enemy of the good enough.

current setup.
SlimLine SWM DirecTV dish on roof
Single wire goes into basement to a SWM PI and then a BSF
From the BSF to a 8-way splitter
4 connections go to HR22's
1 connection goes to DECA/internet router
3 are terminated

Looks a lot like this except all DECA and HR22 and only 1 8-way splitter. Left side.

i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk205/Spanky_Partain/DecaCloud.jpg

Two weeks ago, all was working well w/o DECA except that my home network was slow and the HR22's were the culprit. Therefore, a week ago I converted my 4 DVR (HR22) MRV setup from being on my LAN to DECA (on each of 4 HR22's) with a 5th DECA going to my router. Inserted the BSF between the PI and the splitter and life was good, all was working. Green lights on all DECAs and great throughput.

A few days ago I started reading about how my splitter wasn't "green label" and how this could negatively affect performance. I bought an 8-way green label splitter and hooked everything up. Powered down PI and all DVRs and brought them up in that order. The PI is not on a switched AC and has good consistent power (power light is on). Got the 771A error. Have green lights on all DECAs and the PI.

Tried switching back to EXACTLY the same setup (with all RG6's snug) on the old splitter, and got a 771A. No signal on any tuner on any satellite.

Disconnected all but 1 DVR (3 DECAs/DRVs and internet DECA now disconnected) and terminated the rest, now I have a single connection going to the old splitter (the splitter that worked perfectly before) that goes to the living room DVR ... Powered everything down, brought up the PI and then the single tuner ... and get a 771A error.

I have a multi-tester but no other signal strength equipment. Ran Satellite Dish Setup and got "A satellite signal could not be detected. Please check your installation and retest". None of the signal strength screens have readings.

Again, this appears to be exactly the same setup as worked just this afternoon. Any idea what I might try next to clear this error? I plan to let the ether escape by leaving it all unplugged tonight, but beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

Should have left well enough alone ...

thanks
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
So you have:

SWiMLNB --> PI --> BSF --> 8-way --> DECA(s) --> DVR(s)

It worked fine until you upgraded to a green labeled 8-way [which was the correct thing as it reduces the DECA loss].

  1. The first thing is to make sure the PI "to SWM" connector actually goes to the dish. This connector has the red dielectric.
  2. Next would be to measure the voltage on this connector [center pin to shield] and see if it's 20-30 volts.
  3. If so, then connect: SWiMLNB --> PI --> DVR [remove the BSF, 8-way, & DECA on the DVR].
  4. If this doesn't work, I'd connect the coax from another DVR [don't need to remove the DECA this time] to the PI.
Post your results and we can go from there.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
Could this just be as simple as him needing to reset everything? Try unplugging the power cable on all of your receivers/DVRs, the Cinema Connection kit/broadband DECA, and you power inserter. Then plug the power inserter back in first, followed by the CCK, then all the receivers and see if that clears things up.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
Beerstalker said:
Could this just be as simple as him needing to reset?
If it hasn't been done [yet] then it should be, but I was figuring the easy stuff was already done.

I just changed out a SWiMLNB to a SWiM-16 and didn't have any problems.
I did re-run the SAT setup as I'm back to an SL5 LNB, but all receivers had a signal before.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, color me stupid.

I thought I had SWMLNB->PI->BSF->splitter->DECA->DVRs

Based on the the number of connections and the wire I assumed went to the SWM.

Turns out I had the alternate configuration.

SWMLNB->8 way center->DECA->DVRs

8 way power (red) -> PI (to SWM)

What confused me was that the "to IRD" from the PI had a wire that was different from the others that I thought went to the SWM. No idea where it goes or why the installer connected it, but I removed it and terminated for good measure. Maybe he used it for testing in a nearby room.

The problem occurred because I did not replace the cables to the splitter in exactly the same config, something that would not have mattered if it had been the config I thought I had. :). So the PI cable and the SWM cable were not in the powered slots. So nothing worked!

In any case, all working including using the BSF, DECA, and green label splitter.

Thanks all, esp VOS
 

· New Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
veryoldschool said:
At least you didn't connect the PI up backwards and send the voltage back to the receiver/DVR. :eek2: :eek2:
Was very close to doing so .... Well, close to sending voltage back down the path that goes nowhere .... But that should have gone to a receiver.

The fear of that is actually what got me challenging my initial assumptions. :confused:
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
icewiz said:
Was very close to doing so .... Well, close to sending voltage back down the path that goes nowhere .... But that should have gone to a receiver.

The fear of that is actually what got me challenging my initial assumptions. :confused:
This was why "first thing" was looking at the PI.
I think with a DECA on the receiver, the receiver would have been saved, but maybe not the DECA.

The PI is marked very well, but with coax connected, it's easy to mix the two and end up in trouble.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top