DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HATE HATE HATE my 811. Is there any way for an existing customer to upgrade to a 622 without having to shell out $199? Other than hating the hardware, my wife and I both prefer Dish to cable, so I'm not in a big hurry to ditch dish to go back if I can get a tuner that doesn't remind me how inferior it is every time I turn the system on.
Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
No way to avoid the $199, also you have to upgrade to a metal package and this gives you $100 back (over a period of time). If you have a second receiver, you can take that on off your bill and save on the additional receiver charge. If you own the 811, you can sell on e-bay.

· Mentor/Supporter
134 Posts
Not to worry - the 622 makes it all worth it! Besides, DISH shareholders will appreciate the income!

--Doug

· Godfather/Supporter
1,437 Posts
You will also qualify for the 10$x10mo rebate as well for upgrading to the new HD package so that nocks the $199 down to $99 and if you own the 811 and ebay it your cash output will essentially be nill. You better hurry, I think the rebate expires at the end of the month.

· Mentor
31 Posts
ibglowin said:
You will also qualify for the 10$x10mo rebate as well for upgrading to the new HD package so that nocks the $199 down to $99 and if you own the 811 and ebay it your cash output will essentially be nill. You better hurry, I think the rebate expires at the end of the month.
I will appreciate learning if anyone manages to upgrade under the offer or any other mechanism.

Dish has over and over refused to let me upgrade my 811 in my kitchen despite the fact that I pay $118.07 a month in fees, including for all the high def channels.

Tonight I logged into dish and looked for upgrade and found a screen that said I was eligible to upgrade to a 622 for $199. The screen also said that the upgrade offer expired on November 1, 2006. I called the dish number provided and waited on hold nearly an hour. Finally got a technican (no way for me apparently to call dish it up direct). He said the offer had expired on Nov 1 and I could not upgrade my 811 even though I only get part of the channels I pay for. No upgrade route whatsoever. I did not know about the October offer because in prior calls Dish kept saying there is no way to upgrade the 811 and did not tell me about any such offer.

Even if I bought a 622 for $500, Dish would charge a $200 installation fee. I can't comprehend why dish site would tell me I was eligible for an upgrade and then take me to a screen that said the upgrade had expired.

I think what is going on is that Dish provides lower services to areas that do not have high def cable competition. My small town has only regular cable and probably will never have highdef because cable company is not interested in spending the money for high def.

· Super Moderator
10,091 Posts
The 200 is the upfront fee for lease. If you bought the receiver outright you shouldn't get charged this fee. If you needed a dish upgrade, I believe the standard dish install fee is $99.

Call back a couple more times, perhaps you will get a different answer.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,461 Posts
Gary Noonan said:
I will appreciate learning if anyone manages to upgrade under the offer or any other mechanism.
Don't be surprised if nothing shows up. Here's the basics:

1. Only one leased ViP622 (in practice, this may be more like one per year)
2. $10/month for ten months for first-time DishHD subscribers (obviously, this requires a ViP series receiver)
3. Upgrades are available exclusively from 921 and 942 receivers.

The terms and conditions are posted on www.dishnetwork.com under Dish'n it Up.

This is not D* where you might be able to browbeat a half dozen CSRs and threaten to quit to get a discount.

· Godfather/Supporter
1,437 Posts
What's really wierd here is that I was visiting my parents and "convinced" them they needed to get rid of their leased 811 with all its shortcomings alongwith dinosaur 3900 receiver and go with a single 622. I made one call, got right through to a CSR and with no problems at all I had him upgraded for the $199 fee and he will get the 10x10$ rebate on top of that. The install happened only 4 days later. I phoned Dish on 11/12! He even got $10 for returning the 3900 which is about what they are going for on ebay.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
ibglowin said:
I made one call, got right through to a CSR and with no problems at all I had him upgraded for the $199 fee and he will get the 10x10$ rebate on top of that.
That should be true of most people, but Gary already subscribes to DishHD and has a ViP receiver. At least that's how I read that his 811 doesn't get all the channels he pays for. Could be misreading of course.

Gary Noonan said:
He said the offer had expired on Nov 1 and I could not upgrade my 811 even though I only get part of the channels I pay for. No upgrade route whatsoever.
Any DISH'n It Up done in the last 12 months would prevent a DIU on the 811 to a 622. Leasing 2 more tuners on the 622 could take him over the 4 tuner limit on an account. I think Gary's situation is more complicated than your parents.

· Mentor
31 Posts
CABill said:
That should be true of most people, but Gary already subscribes to DishHD and has a ViP receiver. At least that's how I read that his 811 doesn't get all the channels he pays for. Could be misreading of course.

Any DISH'n It Up done in the last 12 months would prevent a DIU on the 811 to a 622. Leasing 2 more tuners on the 622 could take him over the 4 tuner limit on an account. I think Gary's situation is more complicated than your parents.
Yes it is complicated. Here is the entire story.
I do have a 622. But when I first signed up with Dish last year I took advantage of an offer that promised me 3 HighDef outlets. I currently have the 622 in the great room and the 811 in the kitchen. My understanding when I signed up was that I would be able to lease highdef units for the 3 outlets that I was promised and have (have 3rd outlet in great room). I would like to upgrade the 811 to a high def receiver so that I can see all the channels in the kitchen. I would like to have a second 622 because the current unit has a hard drive too tiny on which to store very many high def movies until I watch them.

Dish has put up one barrier after another to my getting any sort of upgrade. At one point I was ready to buy a 622 for $500. But then Dish said that I could not connect that second 622 unless I paid them $200 for an installation fee. The unused connection in the great room is supposed to be ready for a 622 according to what Dish tech have said. (Now I've used the $500 for something else and could not currently buy a unit even if Dish waived the $200 connection fee that I was not informed of before I signed up.)

Every time I talk to Dish I get a different set of reasons why they do not want me to use the third outlet. I wonder if it is functional. The initial installation was a total botch job. The installer showed up very late at night and then said his friend would be coming over to help him. His friend (also an installer) instead spent time watching my TV and playing pranks that hindered installation and looking over and over to see if he could get any adult channels--I don't subscribe to any. He used my home as a rec room. After the 2 idiots left, I found that I had only some of the Dish channels.

A second installer came out and said the first job was poorly done and installed a second dish and reworked other things. A few months ago I began dropping channels and a third installer came out and replaced switches and did not speak well about previous 2 installations.

A complicating factor in trying to work with Dish is that their staff are not often aware of Dish policies and the Dish web sites are badly outdated. For example, consider the site below which I got to yesterday from dish it up when looking for info on possible upgrade choices.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/search/existing/

The site promises that existing customers can upgrade to the "latest technology" 811! If I click on the word "here" toward the end of the paragraph quoted below, I am taken to a page telling me about the state of the art 942 DVDR.

"Qualified existing customers are eligible to lease new/additional receivers under our DISH'n It Up promotion. Eligible receivers feature the latest technology, including HD with the 811 model, with no equipment to buy and low up-front costs! Log on today to the My Account section of dishnetwork.com to see what offers we have available to you. The DISH 811 delivers DISH Network standard and high definition satellite programming and receives off-air analog and digital broadcast, where available. Click here for more information on upgrading to the 811 receiver. "

Yesterday I logged onto Dish account as suggested at the above site and clicked on menu choices about upgrading. I was taken to an obsolete site that provided information on upgrade offers for which I was not eligible and which had anyways expired as of November 1, 2006. I can't give the URL for the the latter confusing site because tonight all I get is a blank screen when I try clicking on the menu choices I used yesterday.

My basic complaint is that I was promised I would be able to lease up to date high def units for 3 outlets. There was no mention of up front fees in additon to monthly lease charge. When the 622 came out, I was astonished to find out about up front fees. After I got the 622 upgrade, Dish suddenly decided to allow me to use only 2 outlets and will not provide a receiver that gives me all the high def channels in the kitchen.

Dish people never mentioned I would have to live with obsolete units before I signed the contract but instead led me to believe I would always have current units. Dish has not kept the promise made to entice me to subscrible. I am trying to figure where to complain--possible the Better Business Bureau?

Before last summer I lived in Wisconsin where I had TimeWarner Cable. That company provided leased high def units, as many as a customer wanted to lease (absolutely no up front fees) and provided me with current units so I could get all high def channels--not just some. And I had and used 3 cable outlets. So I believed Dish promises made before I signed up.

Sorry for such a long post. Gary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.