DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife asked her 89 yo dad what he wanted for Christmas. He said High Def. Was wondering what the deals were for someone who had been with Direct TV for over 15 yrs but wanted to upgrade to HD. Also I was wondering if I could call in his behalf and try to get him the deal. Any help out there would be appreciated.

·
Banned
63 Posts
keng52 said:
My wife asked her 89 yo dad what he wanted for Christmas. He said High Def. Was wondering what the deals were for someone who had been with Direct TV for over 15 yrs but wanted to upgrade to HD. Also I was wondering if I could call in his behalf and try to get him the deal. Any help out there would be appreciated.
Yes you can as a relative call on his behalf with his permission. I'm sure they will give him new upgrade for free with free HD package for 6 months or so.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I'm sure they will give him new upgrade for free with free HD package for 6 months or so.

Why are you so sure of that ?

I've been a DIRECTV customer for over 10 years and when I called to inquire about HDTV services they said - Sure, no problem for $300 you can have an HR20 and a new AT9 dish.

·
Banned
63 Posts
glennb said:
I'm sure they will give him new upgrade for free with free HD package for 6 months or so.

I've been a DIRECTV customer for over 10 years and when I called to inquire about HDTV services they said - Sure, no problem for $300 you can have an HR20 and a new AT9 dish.
It seem the educated consumer does much better with the deals and the longer term customers seem to get preference. Let the rep know that you are unwilling to invest in the receiver because it's so buggy and you have done much research to confirm it. It's reasonable for all not to want to pay for something that is not working up to specifications. You don't want to go with the HR10 because next year it will be obsolete. All HD is going to Ka/MPEG4 satellites 99 & 103. So the HR10 can only get OTA HD next year. You may have to pay something for the HR20 maybe $99.00, but many have been able to convince the rep to forgo the fee, or give you $10.00 credits per month for a year to offset it ($120).

Sorry but I'm not authorized to guarantee that you will get it absolutely free.

·
Legend
125 Posts
glennb said:

Yea you have to get the right person. They did that to me to, I called back and said should I be getting a discount on it, and I ended up paying shipping costs for the HR20 and got the HD package for 6 months free.

They credited my bill for the HR20 and I havent seen any charges yet for the HD package.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
newcs said:
It seem the educated consumer does much better with the deals and the longer term customers seem to get preference. Let the rep know that you are unwilling to invest in the receiver because it's so buggy and you have done much research to confirm it. It's reasonable for all not to want to pay for something that is not working up to specifications. You don't want to go with the HR10 because next year it will be obsolete. All HD is going to Ka/MPEG4 satellites 99 & 103. So the HR10 can only get OTA HD next year. You may have to pay something for the HR20 maybe $99.00, but many have been able to convince the rep to forgo the fee, or give you $10.00 credits per month for a year to offset it ($120).

Sorry but I'm not authorized to guarantee that you will get it absolutely free.
I've had one since the end of September or so and I haven't found it to be so buggy. I've had a few glitches I guess. Other peoples results may vary. OTA isn't enabled yet, but other than that it seems to be working up to specifications.

If this forum is where you've done your research to confirm the HR20 is buggy you are only looking at a small percentage of people that actually have an HR20 and post messages here. This forum doesn't confirm that every HR20 owner on the planet thinks the HR20 is buggy.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
I only had to pay the $19.99 shipping charge for the HR20 and had the AT-9/Zinwell installed in October and 6 months of the HD package included. I added Sunday Ticket and got the Superfan package for free this season at the time that I ordered the HR20. I have been with D* for 8 years.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
keng's 89yo father-in-law is my hero! Good to know I have at least 21 more years
of HDTV enjoyment to go. ;)

Incidentally, older folks often have diminished eyesight, and like large-print books,
a larger tv screen can make a big difference in their enjoyment of life.

At 68, my eyesight is still good, thank God, but I still enjoy watching large-screen
crystal-clear HD programming on my HDTVs.

·
Legend
192 Posts
mcbeevee said:
If all he needs is HD capability (H20) without the DVR (HR20), it should be a free upgrade. :flag:
Agreed....and call the retention number, not the regular phone number (don't have the number with me right now, do a search). The people at retention are much more responsive and willing to talk.

He should be able to upgrade to HD for free or at most a shipping charge of $15 - $20.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
There is no "retention number" any more...it has been discontinued...the only way to retention is through the front end CSR.

Yes, you should be able to get him an H20 for free, and depending on your bargaining skills, you might be able to get him an HR20 for nearly the same. He may or may not want the increased complexity (and potential early development problems) of the HR20. I'd think this through pretty carefully before getting him a box (Hr20) that about 25% of the users responding here are having issues with. (that affect their satisfaction)

While 75% of those responding reported being at least somewhat satisfied to very satisfied (325 respondents), that leaves 1 in 4 who are not...if your Grandad is one of the 1 in 4 (or cannot handle a few problems gracefully), then I would avoid the HR20 (DVR) and get the H20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.