DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Icon
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current promo for an 8PSK "Enhanced HD" Module for $49 or FREE with an annual subscription to Discovery HD Theater officially ends 8/29.

Starting 8/30 the module will be $99.

So E* 6000 users who have been sitting on the fence regarding DiscHD have a week to make up their minds if they want to take advantage of the promotion.

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Why would someone pay $99 for a module when the channel you are watching almost cost the same price. That makes Discovery HD almost $200 a year just because Dish Network wanted to change encoding technology. I don't get it.

G

·
Instead of saying.."if you want to take advantage of the promotion" maybe it should be... "if you want to be taken advantage of"... ;)

Nah, I dunno either Scott. The only way it even begins to make sense is if they do indeed have some other new HD channels on the way. Not sure what they'd be though unless perhaps it's the 3 new HD channels from HDNet slated to debut later in the year. I have seen where it's been referenced that those channels will be made available to cable co's and so if thats the case one would hope they'd be made available to Dish also.

Regardless, at that cost they're going to have to bring some other stuff to the table.

· Icon
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Why would someone pay $99 for a module when the channel you are watching almost cost the same price. That makes Discovery HD almost $200 a year just because Dish Network wanted to change encoding technology. I don't get it.
The only way it even begins to make sense is if they do indeed have some other new HD channels on the way. Not sure what they'd be though unless perhaps it's the 3 new HD channels from HDNet slated to debut later in the year.
Well DP1 has the answer. Future HD content will be 8PSK and most likely the next package will be HDNet. Wouldn't be surprised if they have some kind of promo if & when that happens.

But I don't think many people will be signing up for Disc HD after 8/30 until more HD Chs are available. I just wanted people thinking about it now to know it was "last call" for the time being.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
HDnet would probably be a big seller of the 8PSK module. As nice as the picture is on DHDT, it is still a hard sell at this time. I subscribed mainly as a show of support for HDTV. The channel needs serious work to charge $100/year to essentially watch the same shows over and over again...

I keep hoping they quickly expand their catalog this year from the 100 hours of programming that I have seen every minute of. If they were smart they would do all their shows in HDTV now and make DHDT a best of the best shows from all the channels they have in HDTV.

G

·
Well according to HDNets home page www.hd.net the 3 new offerings will be made available to all domestic cable and satellite companies so that certainly opens the door for Dish if they choose. Theres a pop up window available on that page for people to list their provider and then have their desire to receive the channels forwarded to the provider.

· Icon
708 Posts
For $99 for the adapter after the fact, Discover HD becomes a better deal to sub to now for one year and get the adapter for free. That makes Discovery HD come out free for one year.

G

·
Yeah, we've talked about this before. When you look at it like that, it's too bad they dont say that the module will be costing 150.00 instead of 99.00, that way one could say they werent just getting Discovery HD for free, but actually being paid to have it. ;)

· Godfather
432 Posts
I don't have the 6000, but think it is B.S. that Dish wants to charge the customer more for their receiver to work with a certain channel, the customer has already invested a lot in this new technology.
Can't imagine what they will charge me for the keyboard for my 721..

· Icon
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Bill D
I don't have the 6000, but think it is B.S. that Dish wants to charge the customer more for their receiver to work with a certain channel, the customer has already invested a lot in this new technology.
Can't imagine what they will charge me for the keyboard for my 721..
It's not just for one channel but for all future HD channels. In fact, the module is what will allow them to have more HD channels in the future then they could have otherwise.

The DP keyboard was $49.95. The PVR version is a lot nicer but I doubt it will cost much more if any more at all.

G

·
as i understand it, eventually even the current hd channels will soon be requiring the enhanced hd module

· Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
I'm cheap, I will hold out until they have something to watch with the new module (HDNET) or wait till they have to give it to us for free. I'm glad I didn't bite on HD Discovery, it sounds like everyone is complaining that it is all reruns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.