DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there's a FAQ, please point me to it so I don't waste anyone's time here.

I have a 921 that just died and DISH replaced it. Now I'm contemplating moving to the 622, but I have a few issues I want to iron out.

First, I actually own my 921. Has anyone done a numbers breakdown on buying the 622 versus leasing?

Second, I do not have a phone line in my house - we only use cell phones. I read somewhere about a $5/mo fee for not having a phone line. Can someone explain this lunacy to me? Is there a way to connect the 622 to a network to avoid this fee?

As far as I know, the 622 should be a drop-in replacement for the 921. Right? (we only have 1 TV connected and really have no nead for anything else).

Is there anything else I should be aware of? We're not really happy with the 921, but if moving to the 622 means a $20-40 increase in our bill, I'd rather just forget about it and wait to see what FIOS is going to have cooking up in our area this year (about 3/4rs of our city is already wired).

Thanks!

Paul

·
Godfather
300 Posts
From my limited experience with Dish's HD boxes I would recommend never buying but to lease only. In less than 2 months our household has had to replace both our 211 and 622 due to numerous picture freezes and outages.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Ok... The 622 should be a drop in replacement for the 921. You can go the splitter route or have two Dish cables feeding it. Depending on your connections to your TV you might need a DVI to HDMI adapter.

As for the $5 dollar no phone connection. Might want to do a search here. My understand is there would be a $5 buck additional charge but I am not sure if you can get it waived. As for doing it the Ethernet way, 622 does have a Ethernet port but it currently is not hot and there is no guarantee that this if it does go hot that it will be used for account verification.

Personally I would go the lease model... But I have not worked the numbers recently.

Hope this helps.. There is a 622 review on the sticky and a Tips link that might provide more info. If you have any more questions.. just fire away.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 921 has 2 cables coming into it with no switch (a Dish 500). I don't know if they'd need to change the cables or not - but if they do it'll be a real PITA since they run under my driveway and the installer wouldn't touch the job without "significant additional charges", so I had to do it myself.

So the deal would be: $199 for the 622, plus $5-6 a month lease plus $5 a month for not having a phone line, plus at least $50 a month for programming. Then, if I send back my 921 I get $100 back, plus they'll give me $10 off a month for 10 months.

Then I'm essentially paying $100 for the first 10 months over what I pay now, then I have a $10/mo increase in cost after that.

Is it true if you go to Platinum all those lease/phone fees are waived?

Thanks for the help!

Paul

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
paulrus said:
Is it true if you go to Platinum all those lease/phone fees are waived?
Lease fees are waived, but not the phone fees. I agree that the requirement to maintain a phone connection is anachronous. Hard-line phones will soon be a thing of the past.

Gregg

·
Legend
125 Posts
Also factor in that as a new customer there's a $200 rebate on the 622 (paid $20/months for 10 months) if you buy an HD package.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,818 Posts
paulrus said:
If there's a FAQ, please point me to it so I don't waste anyone's time here.
There is a toll free number for 921/942 upgraders, but I don't recall what it is.
First, I actually own my 921. Has anyone done a numbers breakdown on buying the 622 versus leasing?
How much you can save by purchasing outright depends on how many receivers you will have. The actual net lease entry price on a ViP622 ends up being $0 if you trade in the 921 ($100) and subscribe to a DishHD package (also $10/month for ten months) while purchasing only gives you access to the DishHD rebate. In all likelihood, you can do better selling the 921 outright.

Do you have any other receivers?
Second, I do not have a phone line in my house - we only use cell phones. I read somewhere about a $5/mo fee for not having a phone line.
This is true
Can someone explain this lunacy to me?
Yes, but not to your satisfaction; it is published policy.
Is there a way to connect the 622 to a network to avoid this fee?
No! You'll have to discuss the implications of not having a phone line with Dish; preferably with the upgrade people.
We're not really happy with the 921, but if moving to the 622 means a $20-40 increase in our bill, I'd rather just forget about it and wait to see what FIOS is going to have cooking up in our area this year (about 3/4rs of our city is already wired).
Whether the ViP622 is an improvement depends on a number of criteria. The price difference (if you subscribe to HD and Voom channels) is about $5 in monthly fees at the low end and possibly cheaper at the Platinum end.

TorinoCobra misspoke: Lease fees are lease fees. If you have only one receiver, there aren't any. The fee that is waived if you go Platinum is the DVR fee.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,818 Posts
TomH said:
Also factor in that as a new customer there's a $200 rebate on the 622 (paid $20/months for 10 months) if you buy an HD package.
The DishHD new subscriber rebate is $100, not $200.

·
Legend
125 Posts
harsh said:
The DishHD new subscriber rebate is $100, not $200.
Not according to the rebate form I'm about to send in. The existing subscriber rabte is $100. The new subscriber rebate is $200.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
There are two $100 rebates (and they can be combined).
There is $100 for someone that is new to DISH - a new sub.
There is $100 for someone that is new to DishHD - new or existing sub.
paulrus is an existing sub and would only qualify for DishHD $100.

For paulrus, there will be a $6/month lease fee that applies to the 622 if you get it as a receiver upgrade (no matter how many receivers you have on the account). You'd pay the same $6 if you purchase the 622 and had another receiver on your account. If the 622 would only be the only receiver on your account, you would save $6/month if you purchase it. Even with a monthly difference, you'd probably be better off with a $200 lease than a $500 purchase - that's a lot of months before break even.

If you think the $5 phone line is odd, how about the fact that if you only have the 921 now, it would be the same price each month to replace it with the 622 as it would be to keep the 921 active and add the 622 as a 2nd receiver. That really doesn't make sense.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CABill said:
If you think the $5 phone line is odd, how about the fact that if you only have the 921 now, it would be the same price each month to replace it with the 622 as it would be to keep the 921 active and add the 622 as a 2nd receiver. That really doesn't make sense.
So essentially I could tell them I'm getting the 622 as a 2nd receiver, then turn around and sell my 921 on ebay and I'd make out better than simply turning it in for the $100?

Thanks for all the advice!

Paul

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,818 Posts
TomH said:
Since you're the only one in this thread that may qualify as a new customer, you're muddying the waters. The fact that the OP has a 921 pretty much eliminates that possibility.

edit: Upon further reading of both of our messages, I must clarify what I said:

There is a rebate for existing subscribers who upgrade to DishHD for the first time. That rebate is $10 x 10.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
I don't know the going eBay price on a 921, but you can sell it for more than the $100 that DISH will give you. I'd think at least $200-250, maybe more?
You aren't REQUIRED to turn in the 921 for $100. Read the 1st post in http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=59333 for more info - including the possibility of the offer changing on Monday.

In post #5 of http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=727192, the guy wished he hadn't turned his 921 in for $100:
I sent it back to them for a $100 credit, which in retrospect wasn't such a good idea. 20-20 hindsight.​
Some hassle to sell it on your own, but the difference could make a lot of $5 phone line fees.

DISH could actually use the existing two coax lines and just replace the LNB with a DPP Twin to feed both the 921 and 622. You'd lose out whatever you could get selling the 921, but it would let you record a LOT more HD stuff. HD really eats up disk space. The monthly fee being the same for both receivers as just the 622 would lean me to keeping both. $250 cash might push me to sell the 921. Your call.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I guess there's no real way to keep my rate at the same level and move to the 622 in the long run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.