DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to make the jump but had a few questions I wanted to clear up first.

I currently have

(1)HR23-700 DVR
(2) H21-200's
(1) H24-700

Swm 16 System

Can I just replace the HR23-700 with the Genie and the other HD boxes still work with the Genie as far as whole home? I am a little in the dark as to what boxes will work with Genie and which wont. Directv site made it sound like only newer boxes will communicate with it over whole home setups.

Other question is what monthly fees come along with the Genie other than the 8.00 advanced reciever fee and 3.00 whole home fee I pay now? 8.00 fee is included in my base package and I pay for three additional tv's as one is also included in the package.

Just trying to educate myself on the Genie setup but a search gives me hundreds of topics all over the place none really answering my questions.

Thanks in Advance

·
Godfather
433 Posts
The HR34 Genie acts just like the other DVRs just with more tuners. So it will replace any of the present ones and the whole home will operate on all the DVRs.

·
AllStar
172 Posts
Jerry is correct the HR34 is just like the HR23 you have in temrs of MRV useage. I would personaly swap out on of the H21's with the HR34 so you have gain 5 tuners and 200 hours rather than 100 hours and 3 tuners. The HD, DVR and MRV fee are not duplicated for second third fourth etc HDDVR's on your account so it's same monthly rate to have the HR34 replace a H21 or the HR23.

·
Legend
218 Posts
Why not keep the HR23 and replace one of the H21's? There's no difference in monthly cost.

Only downside that I can think of is that you can't use one DVR to schedule a recording on another DVR.

·
Banned
83 Posts
NR4P said:
When you get your Genie, remember it has five tuners and the max number of tuners on a SWM16 output is 8. So be sure you don't overload one of the SWM16 outputs.
Believe a SWM16 will support 16 tuners, a SWM 8 supports 8 tuners. That being said, there's no reason DTV would have installed a SWM 16 for the 4 tuners in the OP's configuration, especially with the cost of a SWM 16.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
SWM16 does support 16 total, but he's right. It supports 8 per output. True that the setup shouldn't currently have a SWM16, but there are several possibilities as to why he'd have one.

·
Legend
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys especially swapping an H21-200 and keeping my current HR-23-700. I can just move it downstairs.

I do have a reason for having overkill on my system and having a SWM 16. I installed it and networked everything myself with what I taught myself from all of you on this site. The main reason is that my SWM 16 has the legacy ports which I keep one H21-200 hooked to because it is also the box I take with me for tailgating purposes. It is much easier to setup away from home as a multiswitch. Also cost wise the SWM 16 was not much more than the SWM 8 and it leaves me plenty of room for expansion in the future.

When I get the Genie I will probably put it by itsself on SWM 1 and put the other boxes in the house out of SWM 2. Or I could keep it as it is now and have all upstairs on SWM 1 and downstairs on SWM 2

Now I just have to decide how to go about getting this from Directv :) I have been a customer for 4 years and have not had a contract for two years. I have also had the protection plan which I think has been used once. Surely im up for some upgrade!

·
Legend
218 Posts
Kev4Bama said:
Now I just have to decide how to go about getting this from Directv :) I have been a customer for 4 years and have not had a contract for two years. I have also had the protection plan which I think has been used once. Surely im up for some upgrade!
I presume you've been following this thread about HR34 pricing...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=201785

·
Legend
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you have more than one DVR can you select which DVR to record to such as when setting a recording from my iPhone or from the guide on a non DVR box in the house?

·
Legend
218 Posts
Kev4Bama said:
When you have more than one DVR can you select which DVR to record to such as when setting a recording from my iPhone or from the guide on a non DVR box in the house?
Don't know about the iPhone, but you can choose when using the online guide on the D* website. I think you can even set up a recurring recording (Series Link).

I also understand that when using non-DVR boxes, you can select which DVR you want to have do the recording. This functionality has been a much-requested feature for DVR-to-DVR scheduling.

·
AllStar
172 Posts
iPhone, Andriod and webpage all have remote DVR functions, Normaly i'd say just make sure you name your units on the webpage or confirm the names are correct, but as you will have differant models that shouldn't be a problem cause the model is displyed on the selection screen.
The Directv everywhere was intergrated in the iPhone, iPod touch, and Andriod apps a few months back so should see the options. (don't hold me to the iPod touch part)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.