DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been just over a week with the HR20 and I've got to say that I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected I would. I started with dvrs with a Directivo, then moved to a regular TiVo, then did the tandem setup with sd programs on TiVo and HD recordings on the Moto 6412 box. The UI on the Moto box is horrible and I was holding out hope that Comcast and Tivo would get their poop in a group and give a decent UI. My service got sold to Time Warner so that whole thing went out the window. My choices in my new house then became Directv with the new HR20 (bound to have bugs and problems), or sticking with the Time Warner Moto box (which sucks a lot). I decided that bugs could be worked out and the Moto box simply wasn't going to get any better. I'm really glad I made that call.

Here are my positives:

1) The picture. Oh My God the picture. The picture, whether it's sd, hd, mpeg2 or mpeg4, is awesome. It's not pixelated or grainy at all. I'm using the component cable that came with it, no DVI or HDMI at all.

2) The sound. My system is currently just hooked through the tv and not my surround sound yet, but the difference is night and day. Just hooked through the tv it sounds better than the TW/Comcast service through my THX 7.1 surround system.

3) The UI. Not that the Moto box's UI couldn't be improved on, but I think that I like it *better* than the TiVo UI. It's fast and intuitive. My wife (who is not technical at all) picked up the remote and started making Series Link recordings in seconds. I'm almost ashamed to say she figured it out faster than I did.

4) The mix channels. This is probably more a D* thing than an HR20 thing, but the mix channels are a very cool feature. I love to look up sports and/or kids programming and quickly find the program or channel that I need/want.

5) The 30 second slip is sweet. I like being able to quickly pass through the commercials and see how far I went past if I did go past.

The negatives:

1) The box did freeze up on me once. Not sure what the situation was with it, but I reset it and it's been fine since.

2) The remote will take some getting used to. It's different from Tivo and my universal remote that I haven't programmed yet. Shouldn't it be a law that remotes have to be backlit? :)

3) I can't figure out how to switch between the two tuners. I'm sure it's just a matter of RTM or RTF but I'm a guy and we never do that.

4) I could only purchase one at a time. Due to the demand they would only allow me to buy one. BestBuy didn't have any so getting the second one there wasn't an option.

5) The installer charged me $105 to run the dual coax to each room having a dvr and didn't want to install the multi-switch unless I leased a third receiver. (I got an R15 to tide me over until I can get a second HR20)

6) One feature I do miss is the jump back when you are fast forwarding. This is a TiVo thing and would hope that it's not patented. The quick way around it is the instant replay button on the remote. That jumps back enough usually.

It's only been a short time, so please keep the flames low as I'm sure I'll run into some issues in time, but so far I've been pleased.

· Legend
109 Posts
dhammis said:
3) I can't figure out how to switch between the two tuners. I'm sure it's just a matter of RTM or RTF but I'm a guy and we never do that.
The HR20 has dual tuners (meaning it can record 2 things at the same time) but only 1 buffer (meaning you only get to keep up to 90 minutes of 1 show at a time). So you didn't miss anything - you simply can't switch between the two tuners.

There are several workarounds for this, but many of us are hoping that DirecTv will add this feature in the future.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
For your:
Can't figure out: #3; The reason why you can't figure it out... as that feature doesn't exist. There are not dual buffers, so there is nothing to toggle between.

You can jump between two active recordings with the PREV button.

#4; Yah... that is part of the shortage issue right now.
#5; Yah... normall. They will only install the parts necessary for the current active equipment. The $105 though is dependent on the installer and if there where any special circumstances.
#6; It is a TiVo patent. You can come close by using the Instalnt replay to exit the FF motion

· Banned
686 Posts
I can't emphasize enough that anyone ordering a new install needs to clearly nail down every detail with D* before the install order is sent, and triple-check that all the details are recorded on your account. The only way to be sure of this is to call back to confirm.

Even then, they will screw up. I have two DVRs and a receiver, and they didn't bother to put a multiswitch on the order. They wanted me to go to Best Buy (while the installer was in my house!) and buy one myself.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
matto said:
I can't emphasize enough that anyone ordering a new install needs to clearly nail down every detail with D* before the install order is sent, and triple-check that all the details are recorded on your account. The only way to be sure of this is to call back to confirm.

Even then, they will screw up. I have two DVRs and a receiver, and they didn't bother to put a multiswitch on the order. They wanted me to go to Best Buy (while the installer was in my house!) and buy one myself.
You are spot on. In early Sept., when the HR20 installer called me to to get directions, I made sure he knew I needed a multiswitch, some extra lines run, and some other things D* retention promised in the install. He sais he didn't know anything about it, saying he was only given the info that it was a "service" call. I told him to stay home, called retention, and got a new work order, with everything on specified it. The new installer, the guy I had originally for my AL9/H20 install in August, was a gem. In fact, I specifically asked for him (his ID was on the original work order/receipt). He did a fantastic job, all new cable, etc. Be sure to be clear about what the guy is supposed to do ahead of time.

· Icon
550 Posts
For Item #5, don't stress. There are a lot of reputable sellers on eBay parting with the Zinwell WP68 multi-switch for about $25.

Otherwise, welcome to the club and forgive the occasional rants :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.