DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way you can add Cinemax HD to our lineup prior to the Star Wars HD marathon, November 10th? If DirecTV cannot provide this HD Event, it truly would be a sad day for DTV HD and DTV's customers.

From my point of view, turn off HBO HD or ShowTime HD and turn on Cinemax HD for this special showing.

On the the other hand, why not turn off the dozens of SD feeds you foist on us simply because some home shopping or religious channel pays you to carry their signal. How about you step up to the plate and make this happen for your loyal HD customers? Show us you care.

·
4 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Is there any way you can add Cinemax HD to our lineup prior to the Star Wars HD marathon, November 10th? If DirecTV cannot provide this HD Event, it truly would be a sad day for DTV HD and DTV's customers.

From my point of view, turn off HBO HD or ShowTime HD and turn on Cinemax HD for this special showing.

On the the other hand, why not turn off the dozens of SD feeds you foist on us simply because some home shopping or religious channel pays you to carry their signal. How about you step up to the plate and make this happen for your loyal HD customers? Show us you care.
On the OTHER HAND!Maybe some of us subscribe to Directv for Standard def channels?I happened to subscribe to Directv because of the many CHRISTIAN channels plus other STANDARD DEF. Channels.There is nothing wrong with you wanting more HD. But....Taking away sd channels for people who can't afford an HD TV and such is very greedy at best!

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Direction75 said:
On the OTHER HAND!Maybe some of us subscribe to Directv for Standard def channels?I happened to subscribe to Directv because of the many CHRISTIAN channels plus other STANDARD DEF. Channels.There is nothing wrong with you wanting more HD. But....Taking away sd channels for people who can't afford an HD TV and such is very greedy at best!
Wasn't my first option turning off HBO HD or ShowTime HD? The SD options I listed was secondary.

If you don't mind, how often and what SD religious channels do you watch? How often and what home shopping SD channels do you watch? I'm curious.

There are many SD channels that have limited viewership. But again that was my second recommendation. Lately HBO and ShowTime haven't been impressing me with their programming so I'd give them both up for a month to get the Star Wars marathon in HD on Cinemax.

To end, I don't see anything that I stated as being greedy. I suggested taking away two existing HD channels so I could get one.

·
Godfather
306 Posts
no doubt. That Star Wars Marathon (in HD) has been promoted since at least July (that's when I got D*), and I kept figuring that they would add Cinemax HD before then.

This is ridiculous now.

I am personally already tired of seeing D* make claims about having the capability for 500+ SD and 100 HD channels , and then rolling out junk like Reelz and God TV.

I can't get excited about that:nono2:

Until you have everything that is ALREADY out there as far as HD content goes, then don't make "100 HD channels" claims.:nono2:

I can't afford everything, but you should get at least 1 HD per premium package (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz!, RSNs).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
Before adding Cinemax HD why don't they add all the other Cinemax networks that we are missing out on: Action Max, Thriller Max, 5 Max, W Max, Outer Max, @ Max. I would rather have more of these added before the HD feed.

·
Icon
3,493 Posts
what about that new sat they launched a few weeks ago. doesn't that increase there bandwidth for SD feeds?? with this new sat cout D* and the other premium networks.???

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
dtv757 said:
what about that new sat they launched a few weeks ago. doesn't that increase there bandwidth for SD feeds?? with this new sat cout D* and the other premium networks.???
9S is a backup for sats already up there which are near end of life and will fail soon. There is only so much physical bandwidth/transponders. Adding more sats at existing locations (101/110/119) isn't going to add any more bandwidth. Thus why the new spaceways at 99 and 103 are where the new bandwidth for HD is coming from. The problem is that the spaceways are spot beam sats only. Thus why they keep saying mid 2007 for more national HD after they launch the next 2 sats which will give them CONUS bandwidth at 99 and 103. It's been the plan all along.

·
Godfather
432 Posts
bonscott87 said:
9S Thus why they keep saying mid 2007 for more national HD after they launch the next 2 sats which will give them CONUS bandwidth at 99 and 103. It's been the plan all along.
THAT is the one thing they ARE good at; promises. More HD in the future, software fixes for the R15 (and now for the HR20).:lol: :nono:

·
Godfather
306 Posts
ansky said:
Before adding Cinemax HD why don't they add all the other Cinemax networks that we are missing out on: Action Max, Thriller Max, 5 Max, W Max, Outer Max, @ Max. I would rather have more of these added before the HD feed.
I agree, there are a couple HBOs (Comedy and Zone) we don't get (that DISH does), and a couple STARZ! channels, too.
I don't see how these channels aren't already available. Would D* actually contract to broadcast only some of the premium channels offered. This doesn't make sense.

I think some would like to see MAX HD added soon, since they will be showing the Star Wars movies in HD.

·
Legend
224 Posts
while I have my fingers crossed that we get Cinemax HD, HBO has stated that they will air the Star Wars movies after the first of the year.

·
4 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Wasn't my first option turning off HBO HD or ShowTime HD? The SD options I listed was secondary.

If you don't mind, how often and what SD religious channels do you watch? How often and what home shopping SD channels do you watch? I'm curious.

There are many SD channels that have limited viewership. But again that was my second recommendation. Lately HBO and ShowTime haven't been impressing me with their programming so I'd give them both up for a month to get the Star Wars marathon in HD on Cinemax.

To end, I don't see anything that I stated as being greedy. I suggestedtwo existing HD channels so I could get one.
You shouldnt take away any channels either HD or SD.What if someone wanted to watch something on one of those channels you took away?Not everyone likes Star Wars.I subscribed to Directv just for the Church channel it is unavailable with cable here and Dish does not carry it.I also watch others as well like every day.The shopping channels I dont watch but someone probaly does.Im just saying be fair to everyone.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Direction75 said:
You shouldnt take away any channels either HD or SD.What if someone wanted to watch something on one of those channels you took away?Not everyone likes Star Wars.I subscribed to Directv just for the Church channel it is unavailable with cable here and Dish does not carry it.I also watch others as well like every day.The shopping channels I dont watch but someone probaly does.Im just saying be fair to everyone.
I understand your point.

·
Godfather
385 Posts
Has there been a response?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Wolffpack said:

To end, I don't see anything that I stated as being greedy. I suggested taking away two existing HD channels so I could get one.
Believe it or not, which I didn't. I talked to DTV and they told me they have alot of customers just because the of the church channels. :confused:

·
9,809 Posts
Blitz68 said:
Believe it or not, which I didn't. I talked to DTV and they told me they have alot of customers just because the of the church channels. :confused:
I don't doubt that at all. My wife's family is pretty religious and they did a lot of research on which service offered the most/best church channels. They went with Sky Angel and Dish. And all the people they know do the same thing when looking at sat/cable providers. So there is a decent sized segment of the population that want those type of channels. If there wasn't they wouldn't be there. Plus some of them fulfill the FCC mandate of X% of channels for the "public good" or whatever they call it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,411 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Unless they pull some national bandwidth on the spaceways it's ain't gonna happen. They already shut down a channel each Sunday for Sunday Ticket, they just don't have the bandwidth for another HD channel.
I think that if you look closely, you'll find no CONUS bandwidth on the Spaceways. They can simulate CONUS, but that's a whole lot of material being uplinked.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,411 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Adding more sats at existing locations (101/110/119) isn't going to add any more bandwidth.
Unless someone else is clogging the Ka band at those slots, there's a whole lot more room available.

·
9,809 Posts
harsh said:
Unless someone else is clogging the Ka band at those slots, there's a whole lot more room available.
I was talking the current KU fleet which is what was being asked. They have lots of bandwidth available at 99 and 103 on KA band, they just need to get the sats up there.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
jimbo09 said:
I am personally already tired of seeing D* make claims about having the capability for 500+ SD and 100 HD channels , and then rolling out junk like Reelz and God TV.
You've seen such a claim for current capabilities? The only claim I have seen/heard is for 1500+ SD and 150+ HD next year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.