DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WASHINGTON, Oct 16 (Reuters) - Media giant News Corp. would probably win approval from U.S. regulators if it revives its bid for satellite television provider Hughes Electronics Corp., according to antitrust attorneys.

Some consumer groups are already objecting to the idea, saying it could be as anti-competitive as the current bid from EchoStar Communications Corp., which has run into opposition from government agencies.

Consumer advocates say News Corp. could combine its vast array of TV programming with purchase of Hughes' DirecTV to force EchoStar and cable TV providers to pay more for content.

But antitrust experts say a bid by News Corp. for Hughes probably would not encounter the same objections that have plagued EchoStar.

"I think he has a pretty good chance of getting the deal approved," said Washington, D.C., antitrust attorney Donald Baker. "On balance it seems to me has a good shot."

http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2002/10/16/rtr754076.html

·
Godfather
258 Posts
The lesser of two evils?

Perhaps it is perceived that News Corp. would have a better chance at combining with Hughes because Echostar (i.e. Charlie) would be able to keep him in check. For how long, though?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
There goes any chance at getting more HDTV. Murdoch just loves his 480p "High Resolution Wide Screen". that doesn't even come close to a good DVD in PQ.

·
Icon
701 Posts
Originally posted by John Corn
WASHINGTON, Oct 16 (Reuters) - Media giant News Corp. would probably win approval from U.S. regulators if it revives its bid for satellite television provider Hughes Electronics Corp., according to antitrust attorneys.

Some consumer groups are already objecting to the idea, saying it could be as anti-competitive as the current bid from EchoStar Communications Corp., which has run into opposition from government agencies.

Consumer advocates say News Corp. could combine its vast array of TV programming with purchase of Hughes' DirecTV to force EchoStar and cable TV providers to pay more for content.

But antitrust experts say a bid by News Corp. for Hughes probably would not encounter the same objections that have plagued EchoStar.

"I think he has a pretty good chance of getting the deal approved," said Washington, D.C., antitrust attorney Donald Baker. "On balance it seems to me has a good shot."

http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2002/10/16/rtr754076.html
I just don't get it a News Corp buyout would be even worse in terms of mergers as this company would be vertically integrated. This would mean that the combined entity could require much more in terms of retransmission agreements because of its integration, effectively holding a gun to the head of EVERY Multi-Channel Household subscriber in the entire US regardless of them being a cable or Satellite subscriber.

John

·
Icon
880 Posts
It's simple. Rupert has bought the regulators once again.

I really, REALLY hope all those folks who screamed about Charlie getting DirecTV like the News Corp. version of that company.

1. 480i....period.
2. It'll have an exclusive on FoxSports....with a price to match.
3. compression, compression, compression....and you thought Charlie packed the channels on each transponder..
4. CNN? Who needs it? You've got Fox News...so impartial we have to SCREAM how impartial we are!

Face it people....the DC goons have given DirecTV to Murdoch in exchange for who-knows-what. Me...I'm headed back to Charlie on the first day this amoral man-without-a-county takes the helm.

Oh, what the heck, people. We were all there for they heyday of satellite TV. It was great while it lasted.

Mike Nassour:shrug:

G

·
The FCC and DOJ have history of approving vertical integration so Rupert should have no problems - unless the hacking charges against NDS can be made to stick.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
It is simple, what we have here is a bunch of short sited government bureaucrats with blinders on. These bureaucrats can only see the past and only see side to side competition, they are not business people with any sort of vision of what is likely to happen in the future.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Hey Im all for Murdoch if thats what happens.....at least D* as opposed to E* can be pretty guarenteed of always having sports pkgs and the like......as opposed to Charlie who still doesnt seem to get it.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.