DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to these bone-headed networks who insist on their programming runnig 1 hour and 1 minute, My wife has come to the conclusion that we need a new feature in our DVR's

The ability to start a recordng later then the schduled start time and the ability to end a recording earlier.

· Legend
150 Posts
fluffybear said:
Thanks to these bone-headed networks who insist on their programming runnig 1 hour and 1 minute, My wife has come to the conclusion that we need a new feature in our DVR's

The ability to start a recordng later then the schduled start time and the ability to end a recording earlier.
I TOTALLY agree!

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Whats soft padding and how does it work? I to have been wanting to know how to end a recording early without just having to manually set a time to record something.

· Registered
21,543 Posts
MIAMI1683 said:
Its called soft pad
Grentz said:
You guys do know this exists and is even automatic to a certain extent now with soft padding.

Or did I miss something :confused:
You both did. Read the first post again. :)

What the op's wife wants is this current Wish List request to be implemented:

"Negative padding" OPTION. The ability to schedule a recording to start late or end early by "N" minutes.

Such an option would allow Mrs. Fluffybear to end Dancing or Private Practice, e.g., one minute early, so the :01 stop times don't bump shows in the next hour. Or she could schedule the "bumped" shows to start one minute later. The wife and I have the same issues with our TODO list.

/steve

· Registered
24,401 Posts
We don't need negative padding, what we need is the unit to automatically start recording late if its within the first 10 mins of the start of a program...

Example...

2 shows start at 8pm. One ends at 10pm, the other at 9:01pm. You have a third show that is in the prioritizer that starts on a third channel at 9pm. The third program should start recording automatically at 9:01pm.

I believe Tivo has something like this now, and it determines which show to shorten based on its position in the prioritizer. I don't like that implementation. I think it should always be the begining of a show that is chopped off so that you can make sure viewers always get the end of their shows. Its almost always easier to miss the first couple minuets than the last couple of a program.

· Hall Of Fame
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not always!

There are some shows where the last few minutes is useless and I personally would really just as soon see that get chopped in favor of the beginning of another show. Let's think about what the last couple of minutes typically is? commercials, previews, credits, and sometimes the occasional contestants last words.

· Registered
21,543 Posts
fluffybear said:
Not always!

There are some shows where the last few minutes is useless and I personally would really just as soon see that get chopped in favor of the beginning of another show. Let's think about what the last couple of minutes typically is? commercials, previews, credits, and sometimes the occasional contestants last words.
Exactly. It's for that reason we chop off the last minute of Dancing, by doing a manual record so it ends on the hour. I'd much rather catch the "previously on" that often precedes the start of the next show.

/steve

· Icon
614 Posts
I totally agree with Inkahauts.

I think the softpadding helps. I used to add manual padding, but with that if there was a 1 minute overlap one show wouldn't record. I would prefer that the prioritizer determines which program is recorded fully and which is a partial, rather than which one records period.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
inkahauts said:
We don't need negative padding, what we need is the unit to automatically start recording late if its within the first 10 mins of the start of a program...
A question is whether or not the DVR can verify that it is getting the right program ID if it doesn't catch the first instant. How often is the program ID sent?

· Godfather
484 Posts
Grentz said:
You guys do know this exists and is even automatic to a certain extent now with soft padding.

Or did I miss something :confused:
Grentz said:
It is still being tweaked, but here are the release notes Re:Soft Padding from one of the recent releases:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1814985&postcount=1
You DO realize that that software is in "test mode only" now and has NOT been sent to all DVRs, right? :confused:

For everyone who is not running the CE software, the feature does NOT exist.

· Registered
21,543 Posts
MIKE0616 said:
You DO realize that that software is in "test mode only" now and has NOT been sent to all DVRs, right? :confused:

For everyone who is not running the CE software, the feature does NOT exist.
This is not the feature the OP is asking for (see post #7), so not to worry. :) /steve

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.