DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my install was scheduled for today, 1-5pm. Guy calls at 310 to get directions, shows up before 330. Spends about 30-40 minutes going over all aspects of the installation, looking through the house and the outside. I was quite pleased with the tech and he was very friendly and informative, altho much of what he explained I already knew from my prior research on these forums on others.

Anyways, apparently he doesn't recommend roof installs for the AT-9 at all, and would rather do mine on the brick of the townhouse, around 5 feet or so off the ground, toward the back south corner. Luckily we live on the end unit. Anyways, he was not thrilled about me ordering extra boxes to hook up and use for NFLST, said all these extra runs were not covered in the professional installation. I said I had heard about that, and was prepared for extra costs. What I wasn't prepared for was the $250+ price he quoted. I realize one of the runs is somewhat unusual, since he would have to run a cable from the Dish, to the switch in the basement, then from the switch through the basement, up through the garage, then through the ceiling of the garage into the bedroom. I can see how this is somewhat difficult, but I'm worried this price is somewhat excessive, considering I am having 6 boxes installed, and 5 of those are in 2 different rooms, so there is no way the 120 ft or whatever of cable is getting used for those. I know I am allowed that amount for EACH box. I knew wall fishing was extra, but this just seems really expensive.

Anyways, he said he would put my order on hold, so it wouldn't get canceled and I wouldn't lose out on the NFLST promo. I have 2 weeks to decide if I want him to come back and do the install. I told him I had to check with the actual owner of the unit, altho I'm really not too sure I want to spend that much money, especially since it is still possible our association puts the smackdown on the dish....

Any suggestions or thoughts? If I call Retention and tell them I think I have to cancel my order, any chance they would take the hit on the wall fishing, etc? I'm prepared to have 6 boxes in service and hold the Premier package, I would think they would want to keep my business. Let me know what you think. I don't want to go back to Comcrap.

·
Godfather
415 Posts
$250 may not be excessive, depending on the severity of the install. You may be able to offer someone a little less to come in and do it on the side, or try to run the lines yourself if you can. It's hard to know without seeing if the areas are finished or tight to get into, etc. Running cable can be very time consuming depending on the job. I ran my own lines (bought a good compression tool/fittings and 100' of RG6 from Menards) to make my install as painless as possible for the installer. Total cost for the supplies was around $45. It took me several hours to get it done right, but I'm pretty anal about stuff like that. Also installed my own OTA antenna and coax for that as well.

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize it is probably a reasonable price. It just isn't really in the range I would like to pay, especially with the threat of possibly getting it shut down by the association.

The guy quoted a rate of $70/hr for labor, is that about right? If so, the ~$250 I can understand I guess.

Unfortunately I have no experience or clue how to run anything myself, I am farely useless when it comes to non-computer hardware stuff.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
aphoward said:
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize it is probably a reasonable price. It just isn't really in the range I would like to pay, especially with the threat of possibly getting it shut down by the association.

The guy quoted a rate of $70/hr for labor, is that about right? If so, the ~$250 I can understand I guess.

Unfortunately I have no experience or clue how to run anything myself, I am farely useless when it comes to non-computer hardware stuff.
$70/hr is probably pretty reasonable. And, based on your initial impressions, this guy sounds like he'll do a good job.

Why are you worried about your association? Have you reviewed the FCC rules that give you the right to install a dish/antenna less than 1-meter in size? Your association can't legally stop you as long as the dish is installed on your own space.

·
Icon
914 Posts
I'd have to agree, $70 is pretty reasonable. Especially considering some of the gear you use to fish walls can get expensive. Of course you could fish the wires yourself, you don't have to put any ends on the cables, I'm sure the installer will do that for little of nothing.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,579 Posts
litzdog911 said:
$70/hr is probably pretty reasonable. And, based on your initial impressions, this guy sounds like he'll do a good job.

Why are you worried about your association? Have you reviewed the FCC rules that give you the right to install a dish/antenna less than 1-meter in size? Your association can't legally stop you as long as the dish is installed on your own space.
Usually the exterior of the buildings are not owned by the individual. It is maintained by the association and needs permission for installation in most cases.:)

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
He is probably not sure that he wants to spend $250 plus to perhaps end up with a legal battle, either.

·
Icon
832 Posts
While home owners associations can't stop the installation of a dish they can put some restrictions in place. For instance, I can get equally good reception from a number of locations on my property and installation would cost, more or less, the same for each location. The HOA can demand that I use the least obtrusive of the locations.

·
Icon
914 Posts
HOA are one reason we live in the middle of the country where there are no neighboors in site. Heck, my mower's been broken for 3 weeks and my lawn is at my knees, nobody cares out here. (As a bonus, I don't have to buy straw to put down after I lay some grass seed now!)

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The association is able to stop me from putting up the dish, as they are not restricted by the FCC regulations, since those rules only apply to exclusive use areas (which for a condo association, doesn't include any outside area except our driveway and patio). So that's why I'm worried about spending the $$ installation, and then being told a week later to take it down. When we bought the place a month ago, the seller/builder told us that satellites are "no problem", but now we are waiting on the association to "approve" our request.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Running cable inside walls can get pretty intense. I did a few runs in my house myself and $250 seems resonable for several runs. Was that an official price? You can ask the guy how much he personally would charge.
You can also try to call a few electricians for quotes.

·
Godfather
415 Posts
mangust said:
Running cable inside walls can get pretty intense.
Agreed. It all depends on how much finished space you have to go thru, and impeding ductwork or wiring, etc. I've run both coax and speaker wire thru both unfinished and finished areas and it can be very time- and patience-consuming (resulting in alcohol consuming).

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI, I just got the word today that after some strong arming, the association has agreed to let us put the dish up. So now hopefully my installer can be back out soon.

I have been told that if I call and talk to Retention after the fact, they may indeed give me some credits to make up the extra costs of the installation.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
aphoward said:
FYI, I just got the word today that after some strong arming, the association has agreed to let us put the dish up. So now hopefully my installer can be back out soon.

I have been told that if I call and talk to Retention after the fact, they may indeed give me some credits to make up the extra costs of the installation.
Good to hear! Keep us posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.