DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cool Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a DTV customer for about 18 years now and over the years have changed/upgraded my equipment a few times. Right now I have 1 genie and 2 DVRs for a total of 3 TVs. Originally I called ATT to review my bill and they tried to talk me into getting rid of the mini clients to replace my 2 DVRs as according to them, I will still have the exact same functionality. I argued with the CSR for probably 30 minutes explaining that with the 2 DVRs, I have a total of 9 (ok, there are 2 more in the Genie but they are for 4k) tuners that can all record. They said that the mini clients can also record and I had to explain that the mini clients use the tuners on the Genie and do not have any DVR capabilities built into them. Their CSRs have no idea what they are talking about.
Originally a month or so ago, I called about getting the mini 4k client. Long story short, I decided it was pointless for 2 4k channels so I cancelled the appointment. I never received the mini 4k client.
Right now my bill lists the following (I left out programming, taxes etc):
TV Access Fee$7 off 1st TV
$0.00
TV Access Fee
$7.00
TV Access Fee
$7.00
TV Access Fee
$7.00
TV Access Fee
$7.00
Advanced Receiver Service - DVR
$10.00
Advanced Receiver Service - HD
$10.00
Whole-Home DVR Service
$3.00

Because I have a total of 3 TVs, 1 Genie (TV 1) and 2 DVRs (TVs 2 and 3) , doesn't that seem like 1 "TV Access Fee" too many? Also, should I be charged for the "Advanced Receiver Service" and the "TV Access Fee" for each TV? It seems like it should be a "TV Access Fee" or "Advanced Receiver Service", but not both. I tried speaking with a CSR about this but ended up hanging up after explaining a minimum of 6 times that I only have 3 TVs.

As a side note and unrelated to this post, the customer service since the ATT takeover is atrocious. Every call I have with them is a minimum of 30 minutes (not including being on hold) and it almost always involves explaining the same thing over and over. I spent a total of 2 hours (not including being on hold) on one call just trying to get rid of my original Genie to upgrade/replace it with a 4k Genie. This ended up being a series of 5 calls total and about 7 hours total with multiple CSRs trying to describe what I wanted to do. I finally ended with with customer retention who took care of the whole thing in 30 minutes. It's no surprise they are losing customers but what is worse, they don't seem to care.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I've been a DTV customer for about 18 years now and over the years have changed/upgraded my equipment a few times. Right now I have 1 genie and 2 DVRs for a total of 3 TVs. Originally I called ATT to review my bill and they tried to talk me into getting rid of the mini clients to replace my 2 DVRs as according to them, I will still have the exact same functionality. I argued with the CSR for probably 30 minutes explaining that with the 2 DVRs, I have a total of 9 (ok, there are 2 more in the Genie but they are for 4k) tuners that can all record. They said that the mini clients can also record and I had to explain that the mini clients use the tuners on the Genie and do not have any DVR capabilities built into them. Their CSRs have no idea what they are talking about.
Originally a month or so ago, I called about getting the mini 4k client. Long story short, I decided it was pointless for 2 4k channels so I cancelled the appointment. I never received the mini 4k client.
Right now my bill lists the following (I left out programming, taxes etc):
TV Access Fee$7 off 1st TV
$0.00
TV Access Fee
$7.00
TV Access Fee
$7.00
TV Access Fee
$7.00
TV Access Fee
$7.00
Advanced Receiver Service - DVR
$10.00
Advanced Receiver Service - HD
$10.00
Whole-Home DVR Service
$3.00

Because I have a total of 3 TVs, 1 Genie (TV 1) and 2 DVRs (TVs 2 and 3) , doesn't that seem like 1 "TV Access Fee" too many? Also, should I be charged for the "Advanced Receiver Service" and the "TV Access Fee" for each TV? It seems like it should be a "TV Access Fee" or "Advanced Receiver Service", but not both. I tried speaking with a CSR about this but ended up hanging up after explaining a minimum of 6 times that I only have 3 TVs.

As a side note and unrelated to this post, the customer service since the ATT takeover is atrocious. Every call I have with them is a minimum of 30 minutes (not including being on hold) and it almost always involves explaining the same thing over and over. I spent a total of 2 hours (not including being on hold) on one call just trying to get rid of my original Genie to upgrade/replace it with a 4k Genie. This ended up being a series of 5 calls total and about 7 hours total with multiple CSRs trying to describe what I wanted to do. I finally ended with with customer retention who took care of the whole thing in 30 minutes. It's no surprise they are losing customers but what is worse, they don't seem to care.
From what you listed you are being charged for 2 too many TVs. The First one is zero and then the next 2 for TVs 2 and 3. Then the 2 that do not belong on your bill.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes and I've also noticed it takes them about 5 minutes once they come on the phone, to get through pleasantries, confirm account and so forth. I hate to get snippy with them but it is like pulling teeth just to get to the reason you called.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
First, DIRECTV's customer service wasn't all that good before AT&T bought them.
Second -- your other charges are correct. One fee for HD, one for DVR and the $3 for whole home. Those are per account fee and cover all devices on your account. Note: New accounts get those three fees combined -- I think it is $25 per month.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
That's exactly how I feel and what I've gone thru. These ATT people don't have a clue.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
From what you listed you are being charged for 2 too many TVs. The First one is zero and then the next 2 for TVs 2 and 3. Then the 2 that do not belong on your bill.
You would not believe what happens when you try to make such a rational argument with the ATT CSRs. They are not rational.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Yes and I've also noticed it takes them about 5 minutes once they come on the phone, to get through pleasantries, confirm account and so forth. I hate to get snippy with them but it is like pulling teeth just to get to the reason you called.
Yeah, it's enough to gag a maggot. Not easy staying calm when dealing with these people.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
First, DIRECTV's customer service wasn't all that good before AT&T bought them.
Second -- your other charges are correct. One fee for HD, one for DVR and the $3 for whole home. Those are per account fee and cover all devices on your account. Note: New accounts get those three fees combined -- I think it is $25 per month.
It's a hell of lot worse than D*'s customer service ever was. Give them a call for anything, you will see what I mean.

Rich

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
It's a hell of lot worse than D*'s customer service ever was. Give them a call for anything, you will see what I mean.

Rich
Didn't say AT&T's was better/same than DIRECTV's. I said DIRECTV's "wasn't all that good" before AT&T.

"give them a call for anything".... I called to see about ST. Couldn't get ST, but got RZ for free and $60 credit for 12 months. No commitment required. Took less than 3 minutes. An almost enjoyable phone call.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Didn't say AT&T's was better/same than DIRECTV's. I said DIRECTV's "wasn't all that good" before AT&T.

"give them a call for anything".... I called to see about ST. Couldn't get ST, but got RZ for free and $60 credit for 12 months. No commitment required. Took less than 3 minutes. An almost enjoyable phone call.
5 days to get a 24 activated. Took less than 30 hours on the phone. Very enjoyable experience. I am thrilled. Make a call that entails some knowledge about how D* works and you'll see what I mean. I made the same call to get credits and got the ST and RedZone and another $60 credit and thought ATT was gonna be fine. I was wrong, as wrong as you are...make that call, you will see.

Rich

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
First you said call them about 'anything'. Now something 'that entails knowledge'. As even you have said before, if you want the correct answer, you come here.

You're better off finding that out here. Finding someone who has a clue at either ATT or D* is a crapshoot at best.

Rich
I don't ever call unless I must. I always get the wrong answer, they create a billing issue, or they erroneously change my programming. Or some combination of those.

And yes, I've had AT&T wireless, internet and landline in the past. Their poor customer service resulted in me dropping all three. It is why we have been exploring non-DIRECTV service for the future. It is just a matter of time before they will chase us away again.

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
That has been just as true since Murdock owned DIRECTV. Not all CSRs lie their way through every phone call ... that would be an absolute statement and one should never make absolute statements. But we have seen examples of bad CSRs just trying to get to the next call since DIRECTV did it's first install. It isn't new and it isn't the fault of AT&T.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
They are not knowledgeable and they lie about stuff.
The service is the worst it has ever been.
Not always true. I have been a DIRECTV customer for 23 years and have dealt with CSRs on several occasions. Some are not knowledgeable as you put it and are misinformed (it's a more polite way of putting it rather then saying they lie) and mostly rely on their scripts when giving customers answers. Others are very knowledgeable and do all they can to resolve the customer's issue. I once had a CSR who was a member of DBSTalk! In my opinion the Protection Plan CSRs are the best. My advice is when you get a CSR who's not knowledgeable politely terminate the conversation and try again. That's why we call it CSR Roulette.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Not always true. I have been a DIRECTV customer for 23 years and have dealt with CSRs on several occasions. Some are not knowledgeable as you put it and are misinformed (it's a more polite way of putting it rather then saying they lie) and mostly rely on their scripts when giving customers answers. Others are very knowledgeable and do all they can to resolve the customer's issue. I once had a CSR who was a member of DBSTalk! In my opinion the Protection Plan CSRs are the best. My advice is when you get a CSR who's not knowledgeable politely terminate the conversation and try again. That's why we call it CSR Roulette.
I get routed to Asurion, the insurance provider, every time I call the PP. How are you getting other CSRs?

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
When I called earlier this week to file a claim was told by the CSR that after the AT&T take over a lot of DIRECTV phone numbers were changed.
The number you supplied was the first D* number I've been able to use. Usually I get immediately transferred to an ATT number. It was a pleasure speaking to someone who knew what I was talking about.

Rich

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.