DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 42" plasma was installed about 6 months ago, Dtv came a week later to put in the AT9 dish. Since that time this TV has only been used as a backup. You must understand- every other TV in the house has Tivo!

I installed my HR20 yesterday and today the wife and I watched an entire movie as well as 2/3 of a hockey game on this TV, both from my VOD! I don't think the HR20 holds a candle to Tivo, but what a relief compared to no DVR! Whew!

It was a long time coming, but what a relief that it's finally here.

I am Grossie, and I endorse this post.

·
Icon
600 Posts
Don't worry. In just a short matter of time, you'll find out what an ENORMOUS disappointment this boat anchor is! I have never been so thoroughly disgusted with a consumer electronics product in my life (and TiVo was the best C.E. product I ever purchased)!

You press the skip-back button and the picture freezes. Local channels freeze/stutter, audio drops out. Hitting the FF button results in it going BACKWARDS. You try to get back to live if you've hit the IR button (once it finally gets out of its freeze and you can actually watch what you IR'd to see in the first place) and you find it's impossible to ever get back to live (or at least know if you are back to live).

These are just a few of the MANY annoyances of this P.O.C.!

Enjoy!

·
DBSTalk Club Member
237 Posts
NFLnut said:
Don't worry. In just a short matter of time, you'll find out what an ENORMOUS disappointment this boat anchor is! I have never been so thoroughly disgusted with a consumer electronics product in my life (and TiVo was the best C.E. product I ever purchased)!

You press the skip-back button and the picture freezes. Local channels freeze/stutter, audio drops out. Hitting the FF button results in it going BACKWARDS. You try to get back to live if you've hit the IR button (once it finally gets out of its freeze and you can actually watch what you IR'd to see in the first place) and you find it's impossible to ever get back to live (or at least know if you are back to live).

Enjoy!
Wow! I've had a few bugs but for the most part the thing has been pretty solid. Only after the update before the current one did I have real issues. In a few months I believe you'll forget the shoddy start-uo.

·
Icon
600 Posts
Pardon me if I don't hold my breath!

These guys were so smug in their disposal of TiVo and promised us that this DVR would "be better than TiVo." So far, they have been rumblin', stumblin', and bumblin'! I would suggest they let "the adults" over at TiVo design their DVRs from now on!

I have even resorted to recording all SD on my trusty old DSR6000. At least I know that IT will WORK!! When I press an actual button, it doesn't lock up for 3-5 seconds.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
NFLnut is certainly entitled to his opinion and he's obviously had issues. Ours, however, is working great for both MPEG4 HD locals and MPEG2 HD nationals. PQ is great, the feature set is excellent and the UI, though it's definitely different than TiVo, is fast and it works.

There are a few remaining bugs that definitely need to be worked out, especially the padding feature and some glitchiness in FF/RW/skip-to-tick. But so far we've had a great experience.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
LameLefty said:
NFLnut is certainly entitled to his opinion and he's obviously had issues. Ours, however, is working great for both MPEG4 HD locals and MPEG2 HD nationals. PQ is great, the feature set is excellent and the UI, though it's definitely different than TiVo, is fast and it works.

There are a few remaining bugs that definitely need to be worked out, especially the padding feature and some glitchiness in FF/RW/skip-to-tick. But so far we've had a great experience.
I now have 2 HR20's. I have scheduled, recorded, and played back over 70 programs representing 180 hours of prgramming recorded - including MPEG4 locals, NFL Ticket games, and SD (a small few - I prefer HD). There have been 0 problems to date - not one with any aspect of HR20 operation here in either unit. Not one reset needed (all firmware updates worked so far without any intervention).

I have all R6 cabling, top quality inter-equipment cabling (including optical toslink, a 5LNB disk on a pole install with 90%+ signaling, HDMI to DVI connectivity to the Amp and HD front projector on one unit -- the same overall, except HDMI and 50" HDTV set on the other HR20. This seems to represent almost every configuration here.

Rather than whine about problems, perhaps some people might want to take the approach of diagnosing potential sources of the problem (and its rarely proven to be the HR20 itself).

Here are the top 5 reasons for problems with your HR20 DVR (based on the feedback of 4 different installers I know who ahve done about 200 of these:

1) Poor cabling or connectors (these impact the signal quality, macroblocking, and even proper reception altogether)

2) HMDI incompatibility (there are numerous generations and implimentations of HDMI in equipment out there, and depending on the manufacturer, some equipment has problems with connectivity to DVD players and other equipment, not just the HR20).

3) HR20 configuration (loose nut behind the keyboard syndrome - you may be surprised to find just how much 1 wrong setting on the HR20 can screw up its functionality)

4) User errors in setup, connections, or operation (its estimated only about 10% even read the manual, especially the former Tivo-based owners)

5) Poor installation - badly installed cables, multiswitches, and dishes.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
I must agree, it's worked well for me. The issues that make it untrustworthly I think are the padding issues (so I don't pad, just record the following shows for sports) and the FF, skip to tick work much better with the last release. From what I read, a lot of the problems are operator failure to understand exactly what they are doing, and trying HDMI.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
There are issues, some much worse than others for a minority of HR20 owners. If you don't have MPEG-4/HD-Locals, your chances are better for fewer minor problems. There is at least one person who is having great success, even with MPEG-4/HD-Locals, as well.

I've had mine a month and have had none of the issues that have caused such acrimony from a small minority of users. The people that have major issues, REALLY seem to have them. No doubt, there are legitimate bugs and design problems (not being able to watch a previously recorded show if you have lost satellite signal in the present is a DISASTEROUS ERROR IN CODING), but there are MANY of us with few and only minor problems.

I'm VERY happy with mine and would never describe it as a POS or POC. It's done its job quite well. It needs development (NFL-SD/SPORTS recording bugs, etc). It needs (for me OTA, really badly!) As selfish as my interests are for OTA, I want them to fix the major problems that plague others first.

Enjoy your HR20 until you can't (by that I mean until and unless it fails to perform to such an extent that it is not possible to enjoy it). then, if you reach that point, be patient, there is a LOT of development going on and updates are frequent. We expect there to be a significant update this week (although not OTA). We have had 3 updates so far. Some things get fixed and somethings may get broken by an update. This is common to any piece of equipment with an active update program. My OPPO971H upconverting DVD player went through precisely this pattern. It is now STELLAR. (but admittedly, a much less complex device than the HR20)

Hang in there, don't let the "nattering nabobs of negativity" spoil your potential enjoyment of what, in my experience, is a fine product, with great potential at the cost of early development woes.

·
Banned
48 Posts
NFLnut said:

Enjoy!
sounds like you have a defective unit. mine has worked great so far. no missed recordings or lockups and my remote works normally. have you thought about just getting rid of it? if i were you i wouldnt waste anymore time dealing with such a p.o.c as you call it.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I had the HR20 installed on 9/16 and for the most part it has functioned pretty well. The problem with that statement is that a product like this should work 100% of the time; not just most times.

This product was under development for a very long time; the release date was delayed a number of times; and the expectations for the unit were very high. I think most of us can deal with an occasional glitch or anomoly; but I can understand why it gets pretty nerve wracking when basic commands don't work or recordings that are set don't record or are unviewable. Such things like caller id not working and dolby digital being on when set to off are things that we all know will be fixed soon. However, if the unit can not be trusted to do what you tell it to do when you tell it; then it can not be deemed a success.

I for one am in favor of DTV holding back any enhancements and just focusing on all the STABILITY issues. Once they get it where we can turn on our home theaters and expect to watch live TV or a recorded show without any glitches; that's when enhancements should be rolled out.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I agree with you, Vinny. Stability first and then enhancements (particularly dual buffers before next year's NFL season starts). I can't complain too much. My HR20 is in my office for a reason. I've set up my series links (Season Passes) the same way I did on my HR10s to see how it would do. I'm giving it an 85% so far because of the buggy issues I've had the past few days.

Any ideas on when the next update is coming?

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
NFLnut said:

Enjoy!
NFLnut,

Have you considered that maybe D* has singled out you and 100 of your friends to torment? D* seems to like the rest of us and has given us great HR-20's that work.

Maybe consider HDTiVo at $800 a unit and only $13 per month per unit. Add in the low cost of cable and it will only be about $50 extra a month. Looking at the TiVo forums, it appears that they have already found their 100 people to torment.

Got to go. Too much to watch...

- Craig

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
God must love me. Just like select athletes that are allowed to win (because He has plenty of time to worry about millionaire athletes), He has graced me with a near flawless HR20. Thank you thank you!!

Sarcasm off. My HR20 has been rock solid and a very welcome addition to my entertainment mix.

·
1 Posts
"Rather than whine about problems, perhaps some people might want to take the approach of diagnosing potential sources of the problem (and its rarely proven to be the HR20 itself). Here are the top 5 reasons for problems with your HR20 DVR (based on the feedback of 4 different installers I know who ahve done about 200 of these:"

I've seen a few posts now from hdtvfan0001 criticizing other people for complaining about the quality of the HR20. Just because you have had a good experience with the machine doesn't mean other people are "crazy" or "whiners" or "uninformed" for having problems.

hdtvfan0001, you're completely missing the #1 reason for problems with the HR20 DVR: a defective unit. Making a Top 5 list without even mentioning the possibility of a problem with the actual box shows your prediliction for criticizing anyone who dares to criticize the HR20. This type of commentary is neither objective nor useful. Why you seem to take criticism of the unit personally is beyond me.

I'm a former satellite tech who got an HR20 three weeks ago. Read the manual, ensured everything was installed correct, used quite a bit of patience, and nonetheless:

- Machine has frozen over a dozen times, requiring complete reboot.
- Machine has recorded 10 or so programs that show up as completely black video when you play back.
- Every time we record & try to replay a PPV program, machine freezes with message "searching for authorized content."
- Lack of 30min buffer, ability to switch with 1 touch btwn tuners, inability to access guide by pressing 1 button are inexcusable from a user interface perspective.

I've read dozens of posts written by people who had to replace the machine 2-3 times before getting one that worked. We're now in the same boat.

Even if this machine doesn't freeze, the functionality is lackluster. That's not whining, it's an informed opinion.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
schrysco said:
"Rather than whine about problems, perhaps some people might want to take the approach of diagnosing potential sources of the problem (and its rarely proven to be the HR20 itself). Here are the top 5 reasons for problems with your HR20 DVR (based on the feedback of 4 different installers I know who ahve done about 200 of these:"

I've seen a few posts now from hdtvfan0001 criticizing other people for complaining about the quality of the HR20. Just because you have had a good experience with the machine doesn't mean other people are "crazy" or "whiners" or "uninformed" for having problems.

hdtvfan0001, you're completely missing the #1 reason for problems with the HR20 DVR: a defective unit. Making a Top 5 list without even mentioning the possibility of a problem with the actual box shows your prediliction for criticizing anyone who dares to criticize the HR20. This type of commentary is neither objective nor useful. Why you seem to take criticism of the unit personally is beyond me.

I'm a former satellite tech who got an HR20 three weeks ago. Read the manual, ensured everything was installed correct, used quite a bit of patience, and nonetheless:

- Machine has frozen over a dozen times, requiring complete reboot.
- Machine has recorded 10 or so programs that show up as completely black video when you play back.
- Every time we record & try to replay a PPV program, machine freezes with message "searching for authorized content."
- Lack of 30min buffer, ability to switch with 1 touch btwn tuners, inability to access guide by pressing 1 button are inexcusable from a user interface perspective.

I've read dozens of posts written by people who had to replace the machine 2-3 times before getting one that worked. We're now in the same boat.

Even if this machine doesn't freeze, the functionality is lackluster. That's not whining, it's an informed opinion.
Well stated. Everyone who has had serious problems with their HR20 is no doubt weary of HDTVfan and his completely uninformed, holier-than-thou commentaries. Sooner or later, if D* doesn't get this situation righted, this is gonna come out in the press. Maybe then we'll get some real numbers on the problem HR20s, not the "insiders" here who all claim to know that it's only a small percentage of users, etc.. but never really have any facts to back up their claims. No one having problems with their machines is making it up, why bother? It's real for everyone one of us, and while we have no idea what the real numbers are (or the real causes are), we have a sense that this isn't isolated to a few hundred people nationwide. Those with HR20s that work have yet to explain all the software downloads from D* so far. Upgrades, enhancements? No, they are fixes that so far have not alleviated the issues many people on this forum are having. Getting a new HR20 has not been the answer for many people posting here, as you noted.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Vinny said:
I had the HR20 installed on 9/16 and for the most part it has functioned pretty well. The problem with that statement is that a product like this should work 100% of the time; not just most times.

This product was under development for a very long time; the release date was delayed a number of times; and the expectations for the unit were very high. I think most of us can deal with an occasional glitch or anomoly; but I can understand why it gets pretty nerve wracking when basic commands don't work or recordings that are set don't record or are unviewable. Such things like caller id not working and dolby digital being on when set to off are things that we all know will be fixed soon. However, if the unit can not be trusted to do what you tell it to do when you tell it; then it can not be deemed a success.

I for one am in favor of DTV holding back any enhancements and just focusing on all the STABILITY issues. Once they get it where we can turn on our home theaters and expect to watch live TV or a recorded show without any glitches; that's when enhancements should be rolled out.

Thoughts?

100 percent in agreement.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.