DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I know I am not the only one interested in the Olympics next month. I'm sure there are others who are out there that realize this but the most comprehensive coverage will be on Universal HD. Of course this means that those of us that don't want to waste our money on the silly $5 HD "extra pack" are out of luck....looks like I might have to subscribe for just a month what a pain! Let the protests begin!

· Registered
5,952 Posts
You can't have it both ways. When the package was announced there were plenty of people who said, "Nothing much in it, I'm not doing it."

Now, something shows up that they want and they complain because there is actually something lucrative in the package. Wonders never cease.

I paid for the package for what it already had, and have been happy with it. The extra Olympics coverage is a nice bonus.

If you are big into the Olympics, get the package...you never know when the next "nice bonus" might show up, or the occasional good show appears in the standard offerings.

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
hasan said:
You can't have it both ways. When the package was announced there were plenty of people who said, "Nothing much in it, I'm not doing it."

Now, something shows up that they want and they complain because there is actually something lucrative in the package. Wonders never cease.

I paid for the package for what it already had, and have been happy with it. The extra Olympics coverage is a nice bonus.

If you are big into the Olympics, get the package...you never know when the next "nice bonus" might show up, or the occasional good show appears in the standard offerings.
I understand what you're saying but who would have thought that UHD would carry so much of the Olympics.

I guess you could have guessed that since NBC was to carry the Olympics that you might want to keep the Extra pack but I don't think someone could have thought about all the future possibilities.

Just a thought... :)

Mike

· Registered
5,670 Posts
MicroBeta said:
I understand what you're saying but who would have thought that UHD would carry so much of the Olympics.

I guess you could have guessed that since NBC was to carry the Olympics that you might want to keep the Extra pack but I don't think someone could have thought about all the future possibilities.

Just a thought... :)

Mike
Well, considering that NBC used UHD in the past for Olympic coverage and HD is even more prevalent now, this is one of the main reasons I kept the HD Extra Pack once the free period ended. Now if only I could get a good premonition on the Powerball numbers....... :D

· Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
UHD had tons of Olympic coverage last time around and repeated the programming for months after the Olympics wrapped up.

And UHD has actually had better programming (IMO) as of late. I'm still having a hard time getting used to commercials, though.

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
As stupid as The HD Extra pack is, I don't believe it qualifies as a conspiracy when a package you don't subscribe to contains programming you want to see. My question is how much of Universal HD's Olympic coverage will be "original?" My guess is that more cable companies still carry that channel more than Bravo HD or CNBCHD(+). Will Universal HD simply be simulcasting or rebroadcasting programming DirecTV subscribers can find other places or will NBC treat it as it's own separate channel?

· Icon
968 Posts
QuickDrop said:
Will Universal HD simply be simulcasting or rebroadcasting programming DirecTV subscribers can find other places or will NBC treat it as it's own separate channel?
http://www.nbcolympics.com/newscenter/news/newsid=148556.html

UNIVERSAL HD
Universal HD, an NBC Universal Cable network launched in fourth quarter 2004, is currently available to more than 25 million homes in 100 percent 1080i HD. During the Beijing Games, Universal HD will offer 24-hour HD simulcasts and re-airs of coverage on CNBC and MSNBC, 379 hours in all.

· Registered
14,213 Posts
I subscribed to the HD Extra package when it first came out and have not regretted the decision. For $5 a month, I have access to hundreds of hours of HD not otherwise available. That's in the ballpark of a single gallon of gas or a Starbucks coffee or a Blockbuster movie rental, and to me, totally worth it.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Drew2k said:
I subscribed to the HD Extra package when it first came out and have not regretted the decision. For $5 a month, I have access to hundreds of hours of HD not otherwise available. That's in the ballpark of a single gallon of gas or a Starbucks coffee or a Blockbuster movie rental, and to me, totally worth it.
I didn't ponder the subscription for more than a few seconds, as it had channels that I already regarded as essential for minimal cost. Getting extra Olympic coverage is pure gravy. I have not regretted my initial decision.

(As a contrary example, I did debate canceling NFL-ST/SF for a few weeks before deciding I wouldn't miss them, so file-13...which was a big move for someone who has had NFL-ST since the BUD days.)

· Mentor
51 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,041 Posts
Ahemm....wink....wink....nudge....nudge. Have any of you tried to upgrade to HD Extra Pack recently. You might find a rather nice surprise that will quench your Olympics hankering in August as well as the other great programming on Extra Pack.

· Hall Of Fame
1,513 Posts
Satelliteracer said:
Ahemm....wink....wink....nudge....nudge. Have any of you tried to upgrade to HD Extra Pack recently. You might find a rather nice surprise that will quench your Olympics hankering in August as well as the other great programming on Extra Pack.
Mine says $4.99 for the 5 HD channels listed. Nothing different than before.

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
rposly said:
Absolutely none. It is all simulcasts and re-airs of what is on MSNBC and CNBC. Of course, that's enough to get me to subscribe for the month...

But the point is, you won't miss a thing if you don't get Universal HD. Some of it just won't be in HD.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/newscenter/news/newsid=148556.html#nbcs+complete+olympics
Since MSNBC does not have an HD channel, I would actually consider an HD simulcast of MSNBC programming to be "original." What I wondered was would Universal HD merely show simulcasts of other HD stations that the majority of cable subscribers might not be able to see otherwise. This appears to be the case with CNBC HD, though since their normal programming isn't truly HD who knows if their Olympic coverage will be.

· Hall Of Fame
3,862 Posts
Drew2k said:
And think about how it compares to the cost of a gallon of Starbucks coffee. :D

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.