DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I am waiting to see what restrictions are being placed on the networks. Their $10 billion total contracts include streaming each game they carry on each network's related streaming service. So say I subscribe to Paramount+ ... do I get all of the CBS Sunday afternoon games or just the one my local CBS affiliate carries in market? I am assuming I would not get games not broadcast in my market via Paramount+.
If you subscribe to Paramount+, you will get the feed of the local station in your area and whatever game(s) it is carrying.

· Godfather
868 Posts
True, but the savings and current watching habits outweigh continuing with D*, whether satellite or stream. Lastly, I suspect that YTTV would offer 'discounts' for subscribers or run promotions to lure new customers - similar to previous D* campaigns.
The only discount I am aware of is a $5 promotion through T-Mobile. T-Mobile also offers a Netflix promotion, covering the cost of the HD service, and has been giving away MLB.tv for the last few years.

I hope YTTV doesn’t follow the DirecTV promotion rabbit hole. I hated the annual call to see what they offered. I just want a low price all the time. Their whole business model seems different… a single package with the majority of cable networks, no real need for in-house customer service, everything is on the back end. They can go the “everyday low price” route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
The only discount I am aware of is a $5 promotion through T-Mobile. T-Mobile also offers a Netflix promotion, covering the cost of the HD service, and has been giving away MLB.tv for the last few years.

I hope YTTV doesn’t follow the DirecTV promotion rabbit hole. I hated the annual call to see what they offered. I just want a low price all the time. Their whole business model seems different… a single package with the majority of cable networks, no real need for in-house customer service, everything is on the back end. They can go the “everyday low price” route.
Google is laying off 12,000 people. I doubt that savings is going to go into "a low price all the time" for NFL Sunday Ticket.

· Registered
197 Posts
Don't count on it. YTTV's not currently making a lot of money and there's obviously little fat in their retail pricing as compared with DIRECTV.
You have no evidence of this, just like most of your posts about DirecTV, which you also do not have, you are just posting a opinion without facts.

It does make a profit, mostly because because it has no legacy costs as Traditional Providers do, install, equipment, which means it takes about 6-8 months to recoup those costs, so YTTV starts making money day one.

Second, advertising, they get roughly 2 minutes of ad time per program, Google makes a lot of money from Targeted Ads.

Then, if the posters at Reddit really work for Google/YTTV ( and they have posted things about the service that comes true shortly later), they make about $5 in profit from subscribers monthly bill, they were losing money on a lot of subscribers until they rid themselves of most of the RSNs like Ballys.

Then the other way they make money on YTTV, selling your data, Google’s bread and butter.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
Then, if the posters at Reddit really work for Google/YTTV ( and they have posted things about the service that comes true shortly later), they make about $5 in profit from subscribers monthly bill, they were losing money on a lot of subscribers until they rid themselves of most of the RSNs like Ballys.
Five years ago, YouTube TV was "losing" about $5/subscription. Since then they have significantly bulked up the offering including the addition of local channels. I don't think it is reasonable to assume that their costs haven't risen at least as fast as their pricing.

· Registered
197 Posts
Five years ago, YouTube TV was "losing" about $5/subscription. Since then they have significantly bulked up the offering including the addition of local channels. I don't think it is reasonable to assume that their costs haven't risen at least as fast as their pricing.
You did not write five years ago, you posted this-
YTTV's not currently making a lot of money
I have noticed that about a lot of your posts in my short time here, you keep posting incorrect things based on your opinions, which really do not matter since you do not use the services that you constantly criticize.

Of course they were losing money 5 years ago, YTTV did not even start up until 2017, name one business like this that became profitable after a year.

I believe it is doing quite well, in just 6 years, they should be over the 6 million sub count, that is only 1 million less then Dish and they have been around for more then 24 years.

26,462 Posts
Of course they were losing money 5 years ago, YTTV did not even start up until 2017, name one business like this that became profitable after a year.
Asserting that they're making money just because they're six years old and/or still in business seems nonsensical. Programming costs would seem to have outrun their price increases and it seems logical that any content owner support offered to get the service off the ground would have expired by now.

What is your reasoning or evidence to counter my claim?

· Registered
197 Posts
Asserting that they're making money just because they're six years old and/or still in business seems nonsensical. Programming costs would seem to have outrun their price increases and it seems logical that any content owner support offered to get the service off the ground would have expired by now.

What is your reasoning or evidence to counter my claim?
If you read my post, as I said , those on reddit who claim to work for Google/YTTV and have given very correct information are those who said it.

And if you do not believe YTTV, why then would you think Dish is?

For the 120 package ( same channels as YTTV, minus a few like History, A&E, etc)with locals is only 10 dollars more, YTTV has the advantage of no legacy cost, install, equipment, etc which takes Dish about 6-8 months to recoup.

26,462 Posts
If you read my post, as I said , those on reddit who claim to work for Google/YTTV and have given very correct information are those who said it.
Vague and non-specific references aren't powerful support of anything. Citations of specific numbers by people whose job it is to track such things are what's asked for here.
And if you do not believe YTTV, why then would you think Dish is?
DISH formally reports their financial information where YTTV (and DIRECTV) does not.
For the 120 package ( same channels as YTTV, minus a few like History, A&E, etc)with locals is only 10 dollars more, YTTV has the advantage of no legacy cost, install, equipment, etc which takes Dish about 6-8 months to recoup.
DISH isn't installing a lot of new customers so that's not a major concern in the grand scheme. Their accounting and support departments probably aren't suffering an increasing burden and they have had a solid handle on account management for a long time.

Whether or not YTTV has achieved "most favored nation status" in terms of contract negotiations remains to be seen.

YouTube TV has added DVR service and other features that don't come for free at the cloud end.

· Registered
197 Posts
Vague and non-specific references aren't powerful support of anything. Citations of specific numbers by people whose job it is to track such things are what's asked for here.
DISH formally reports their financial information where YTTV (and DIRECTV) does not.
Google does quarterly reports also.

DISH isn't installing a lot of new customers so that's not a major concern in the grand scheme. Their accounting and support departments probably aren't suffering an increasing burden and they have had a solid handle on account management for a long time.
Dish adds customers and it is reported in the quarterly’s, it is just they are losing a lot more then adding, read the reports and you would see that instead of just giving your opinion.

Whether or not YTTV has achieved "most favored nation status" in terms of contract negotiations remains to be seen.
The only one that should be getting that type of per sub pricing is Comcast since they are still over 16 million video subs.

YouTube TV has added DVR service and other features that don't come for free at the cloud end.
Lot cheaper doing a Cloud DVR then building boxes.

26,462 Posts
Google does quarterly reports also.
Google doesn't do quarterly reports. Alphabet (GOOG) delivers quarterly reports that include Google along with other operations such as Nest.

YouTube TV is combined with a substantial number of other products under the heading of "Google Services".
Alphabet 10Q said:
Google Services includes products and services such as ads, Android, Chrome, hardware, Google Maps,
Google Play, Search, and YouTube. Google Services generates revenues primarily from advertising; sales
of apps and in-app purchases, digital content products, and hardware; and fees received for subscription-
based products such as YouTube Premium and YouTube TV.
Dish adds customers and it is reported in the quarterly’s, it is just they are losing a lot more then adding, read the reports and you would see that instead of just giving your opinion.
The specific number of additions is not detailed in the reports. A representative number can be derived by applying the reported "churn" percentage (1.53% in Q3 2022) giving a number of 116,307 customers lost. If you add the number of net additions to the customers lost, you get the number added which is not a lot. These numbers are not reported for YTTV (or DIRECTV) and are instead "estimated" by "analysts" such as Moffet-Nathanson.
The only one that should be getting that type of per sub pricing is Comcast since they are still over 16 million video subs.
Says who? There can be more than one "most favored nation".
Lot cheaper doing a Cloud DVR then building boxes.
While reasonable in principle, this sounds like it is reasoning as opposed to being supported by numbers.

· Mentor
36 Posts
We have had Comcast, Dish, DirectTv, Play Station Vue, FuboTV, and now YouTube TV. We also have most of the main Streaming services and get 33 OTA Atlanta Channels through a Tablo DVR with commercial skip. We get all of the services through a Wi-Fi connection to 4 TVs using the TV Wi-Fi, Roku Wi-Fi, and Fire Stick/Fire Cube Wi-Fi connections and the Picture Quality is essentially perfect with no buffering. We do have 900 Mips Comcast Internet plus an excellent router. With most streaming services the picture quality and presence/absence of buffering is likely dependent on your internet service and router.

· Registered
197 Posts
Google doesn't do quarterly reports. Alphabet (GOOG) delivers quarterly reports that include Google along with other operations such as Nest.
I know it is called Alphabet ( i do own stares/stocks for it) I just hate calling it that, same for Meta, it will always be Facebook for me.

Last time I talked to who handles my account, I kept calling it Facebook stocks and he kept correcting me also.

26,462 Posts
Last time I talked to who handles my account, I kept calling it Facebook stocks and he kept correcting me also.
In the grand scheme, Google<Alphabet and Facebook<Meta. How you like to think of them is your choice but it can be problematic. Fortunately your Investment Advisor can cover for your "alternative" choices.

My point is that to see YouTube TV subscriber data, you're probably going to have to dig a lot deeper than the information provided by Alphabet or Google proper.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
DISH isn't installing a lot of new customers so that's not a major concern in the grand scheme.
634 thousand million new customers installed last year. Unfortunately each customer is costing around $1,000. Fortunately DISH is still making billions of dollars in profit.

26,462 Posts
Got a decimal point off or something?
I assume that the units are actually thousands rather than millions. Financial reports often declare that all numbers are in a certain unit and footnote numbers that are in a different scale.

By the same token, some old-school investment types seem to espouse using M for thousands (based on Roman Numerals?) and MM for millions.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts