DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks beautiful but our recording of "Dancing with the Stars" is nothing but the news channel normally broadcast on 11-3 instead of the normal 11-1.

Not seen a problem like this before. And we thought we wouldn't be able to get anything but the -1 channels :p

Called DirecTV Customer Service and they immediately escalated it to their "advanced technical department". I guess whoever leaned against the box either at the affiliate or the uplink facility (which just up the road at WUNC, our local PBS facility).

The customer service guy did ask me if I wanted to reboot my receiver. I asked him "do you really think that's going to do any thing to fix this problem?" "No sir, I dont, but I've got to ask." He knew it was stupid and sounded a little ashamed to ask the question which was enough for me.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,320 Posts
rtphokie said:
It looks beautiful but our recording of "Dancing with the Stars" is nothing but the news channel normally broadcast on 11-3 instead of the normal 11-1.

Not seen a problem like this before. And we thought we wouldn't be able to get anything but the -1 channels :p

Called DirecTV Customer Service and they immediately escalated it to their "advanced technical department". I guess whoever leaned against the box either at the affiliate or the uplink facility (which just up the road at WUNC, our local PBS facility).

The customer service guy did ask me if I wanted to reboot my receiver. I asked him "do you really think that's going to do any thing to fix this problem?" "No sir, I dont, but I've got to ask." He knew it was stupid and sounded a little ashamed to ask the question which was enough for me.
same on my machine so not likely a rcvr issue :) since the OTA on my RCA RCVR is showin normal programming on 11-1

·
Mentor
41 Posts
spidey said:
same on my machine so not likely a rcvr issue :) since the OTA on my RCA RCVR is showin normal programming on 11-1
I called D*TV this morning... they are telling me it's a Multiswitch problem and scheduled a service call! I think I wil call them back and tell them its not needed.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do on your side of the equation.

Something had to have happened in the uplink center.
Is it occuring right now?

What are the Call letters for that ABC affiliate, I will forward it on to the DirecTV tech guys.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

What are the Call letters for that ABC affiliate, I will forward it on to the DirecTV tech guys.
Speaking of Raleigh, any word when CBS and FOX will be available?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
msm96wolf said:
Speaking of Raleigh, any word when CBS and FOX will be available?
Nothing that I have heard of

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

WTVD-11

·
Mentor
41 Posts
I spoke with D*TV again... they tell me they don't really look into the problem until 5 calls have been made. I am at work and cannot tell if the issue is still happening. If so, anyone else in the Raleigh area having the same issue with the ABC WTVD-11 HD feed showing the wrong thing... please call in to D*TV and log the complaint so they can start looking into it.

:(

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I have both posted in the TechKnow forums at Forums.directv.com
And have directly emailed two of my contacts....

Either everyone is in a meeting, or they are working on it.
(But it still wouldn't hurt to call)

·
AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jgcox00 said:
I spoke with D*TV again... they tell me they don't really look into the problem until 5 calls have been made. I am at work and cannot tell if the issue is still happening. If so, anyone else in the Raleigh area having the same issue with the ABC WTVD-11 HD feed showing the wrong thing... please call in to D*TV and log the complaint so they can start looking into it.

:(
Good lord I hope this isn't true. Why in the world would a business assume the first 4 customers to complain are either lying or dumb, this is essentially what they'd be doing.

·
AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
I have both posted in the TechKnow forums at Forums.directv.com
And have directly emailed two of my contacts....

Either everyone is in a meeting, or they are working on it.
(But it still wouldn't hurt to call)
It appears to be fixed now. Thanks to all who complained. I guess we got 5 people after all :mad:

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
rtphokie said:
Good lord I hope this isn't true. Why in the world would a business assume the first 4 customers to complain are either lying or dumb, this is essentially what they'd be doing.
In a case like this, the policy doesn't work. But in a normal case, where someone is complaining about a complete loss of a channel for example, they need to make sure that it's not just confined to a specific receiver before they have the engineers at DirecTV go looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
PHEW, glad my electric company don't have the same policy!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,320 Posts
rtphokie said:

Problem Fixed

·
AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeremy W said:
In a case like this, the policy doesn't work. But in a normal case, where someone is complaining about a complete loss of a channel for example, they need to make sure that it's not just confined to a specific receiver before they have the engineers at DirecTV go looking for a problem that doesn't exist.
Yet they'll roll a truck for no good reason. DirecTV is very eager to send a "technician" (I use the word very very loosely) but not at all eager to escalate problems that obviously need escalation.

The last time this happened, I was getting the message telling me a game was blacked out in my area. Problem was it was a 5 year old hockey game on ESPN Classic. I called, got the run around about my zip code being in the list and it was at the discretion of the rights holders, bla bla bla. I finally said "stop, think. why would the teams want a 5 year old game blocked. Do you normally block games on ESPN classic?" She begrudgingly passed it on to the right people and the game was on for me within 5 minutes.

I dont like having to force customer service to think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.