DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get abc ota from a local station, and I usually watch gma in the morning (recorded on the hr20) . Funny thing...often it comes on, first in letterbox format (at 720p) and sometimes later on, it will usually switch to the wide screen format (same resolution). This is quite annoying, as I have to continually go for the Sony remote and change the screen display to wide zoom in order to fill up the screen. Anyone know why abc (or whomever) does this?? :nono2:

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
It's your local station. I bet you have a local morning news show before GMA. That is undoubtably in a 4:3 format. When GMA comes on, they forget to switch things back to full HDTV. Only later do they remember, and that's when you see the switch.

I used to find this happening with my local NBC affiliate coming out of a block of local commercials during prime time. Either they have new automation or better operators, because it doesn't happen anymore.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
Or they have a local ticker on the station during the start of GMA or something like that.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Carl Spock said:
It's your local station. I bet you have a local morning news show before GMA. That is undoubtably in a 4:3 format. When GMA comes on, they forget to switch things back to full HDTV. Only later do they remember, and that's when you see the switch.

I used to find this happening with my local NBC affiliate coming out of a block of local commercials during prime time. Either they have new automation or better operators, because it doesn't happen anymore.
I used to see the same kind of stuff on my local stations. I think it's probably a training issue or maybe an automation issue. In the past 2 years, it has gotten much better.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
It appears most master control guys only monitor the analog feed of their station, at least with the 3 local station guys I've talked to. They often have no idea if there are issues with PSIP, programming in 16:9 that is being sent in 4:3, etc. Would be nice if these stations actually monitored their Digital OTA signals.

· Yada Yada Yada
4,400 Posts
sailor44 said:
I get abc ota from a local station, and I usually watch gma in the morning (recorded on the hr20) . Funny thing...often it comes on, first in letterbox format (at 720p) and sometimes later on, it will usually switch to the wide screen format (same resolution). This is quite annoying, as I have to continually go for the Sony remote and change the screen display to wide zoom in order to fill up the screen. Anyone know why abc (or whomever) does this?? :nono2:
Sometimes the same sort of thing happens with my computer as well, like right now - it forgets to change my font size to normal. Oops - there it goes again!

:grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.