DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guide data from ABC states that Lost ends at 9:01 (central) (and The Nine starts at that time). The 622 has consistently been stopping the Lost recording at 9pm to start the next OTA recording (The Nine), so my recording of Lost is always missing the last minute (which can be maddening, as most Lost fans know). Thankfully, I'm recording The Nine, which catches most of the lost minute.

I know the guide data from ABC reflects that Lost runs long because the Tivo records it correctly. So there's no reason the 622 shouldn't be able to handle this ...

· Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
This was an issue last year too, if I remember correctly the Dish guide data is only accurate down to a 5 minute period. My guess, and this is just a guess, is they either round up or round down. Last year they were running Lost 3 minutes long and my 622 would show it running 5 minutes long in it's guide and record the 5 minutes.

RANT /ON

I wish networks would stop doing this and just have shows end on the half hour or hour. All it does is make viewers irate and screw up recordings. I don't know about you but it doesn't make me watch commericals or watch the next show on afterwards, all it does is make me mad.

RANT /OFF

The only way to protect yourself is to add padding to your recordings, the problem is, th paddings are skipped if you have back to back timers on the same tuner.

What I do now, since I missed the end of the season premiere last week, is I now make sure I don't have any other OTA recordings scheduled after Lost so I always get the end. This was not easily done last year because I didn't have DishHD locals, but now that I do I just make sure I use a DishHD local for any recording at 10:00pm on Wed.

· Legend
114 Posts
I checked this out last week, and ABC's website had The Nine starting on the hour. TitanTV had it starting at 1 past the hour, but they were the only ones that had it this way.

I think that ABC says shows start on the hour, and are an hour long, but they aren't always. Some shows consistently go a bit longer, like Lost. My guess is that enough people complained to Tivo, or TitanTV that their favorite shows are being cut off, that they are just padding the schedule themselves to prevent more complaining.

· Hall Of Fame
1,262 Posts
Rob Glasser said:
RANT /ON

I wish networks would stop doing this and just have shows end on the half hour or hour. All it does is make viewers irate and screw up recordings. I don't know about you but it doesn't make me watch commericals or watch the next show on afterwards, all it does is make me mad.

RANT /OFF
Could not agree with you more. Luckily Ron Barry filled me in on what I missed from Lost last week. Thank you, Ron!:D

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
rbonzer said:
I checked this out last week, and ABC's website had The Nine starting on the hour. TitanTV had it starting at 1 past the hour, but they were the only ones that had it this way.

I think that ABC says shows start on the hour, and are an hour long, but they aren't always. Some shows consistently go a bit longer, like Lost. My guess is that enough people complained to Tivo, or TitanTV that their favorite shows are being cut off, that they are just padding the schedule themselves to prevent more complaining.
TitanTV certainly wasn't the only one to show the actual starting times for the show. Zap2It.com uses the same source as DISH (and the DISH website program guide takes you there), DirecTV, and TiVo and shows things not at the top of the hour (or half hour). People wouldn't have complained to TiVo or DirecTV since they don't round the times off to be a multiple of 5 minutes like DISH does. They both record from the starting minute through to the ending minute and padding would extend those times. DISH's rounding to a 5 minute multiple is pretty unique. TiVo even has some option (I don't subscribe to know the details) to let you choose to go ahead and record the 58 or 59 minutes on another channel that would normally have to be skipped as a conflict since the show ran over the hour (as the published times show). You shouldn't use the starting times from ABC itself - they aren't going to point it out. Zap2It shows The Nine starting at :01 for the next two weeks, just like it showed for the 11th:
Wed 10/18 10:01 PM
Wed 10/25 10:01 PM
You have to access Zap2it.com via the DISH website to get the guide for shows starting last Monday (9th) to see that the published start for The Nine was

Channel: 245 ABC
October 11: 10:01PM

ABC has done it all week.

Help Me Help You October 10: 9:31PM (Dancing w/ Stars)
Boston Legal October 10: 10:01PM (Help Me Help You)

The Nine October 11: 10:01PM (Lost)

Six Degrees October 12: 10:01PM (Grey's Anatomy)

Brothers & Sisters October 15: 10:01PM (Desperate Housewives)

The exact same shows and times repeat 17-19 & 22 October causing the same missing minute of (Lost shows).

The :01 and :02 published times are accurate and get recorded through the published end of the show with a DirecTiVo. Any individual station can muck things up even more, but you shouldn't think that the ABC shows are actually an hour long - the above are 61 minutes and DISH rounds it down to 60 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.