DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone: So many of you know so much about local regs, I wanted to ask this question. (I'm a loyal reader on here, so forgive me if I should know the answer, and please be nice, even if you think my question is dumb :) Why can't people in my area get ABC out of Tallahassee, FL in the Enhanced Locals? CBS from Tallahassee is offered. Does anyone have an idea? It makes no sense to me.... how could CBS be offered but not ABC.. FYI: The ABC, though on UHF Channel 27, has an output equal to, if not greater than, CBS on VHF 6, so the coverage areas are basically the same. This bothers me because I'd like to see ABC in the package. Thanks in advance.

· Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Right now NO ONE, not even GOD qualifies to receive distant network channels. This is what the permenant injunction for 12/1/06 meant.

Distant networks means any NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox channel that is licensed to a city outside the "local" area. It doesn't matter if it's a mile away or across the country.

To see what YOUR local area is see http://ekb.dbstalk.com/sdlocaldetail.htm

See ya
Tony

· Legend
233 Posts
One quirk is that the (entire) county in which a community of license is located is considered to be within the local market even if part of the county is in a different DMA. I am not sure if this ever happens as Nielsen seems to follow county lines but if it did, it suggests that the county in question would be eligible for locals from two different DMA's.

TNGTony said:
Right now NO ONE, not even GOD qualifies to receive distant network channels. This is what the permenant injunction for 12/1/06 meant.

Distant networks means any NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox channel that is licensed to a city outside the "local" area. It doesn't matter if it's a mile away or across the country.

To see what YOUR local area is see http://ekb.dbstalk.com/sdlocaldetail.htm

See ya
Tony

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies... I didn't think about how the distants ruling would even impact WCTV (CBS). This whole business is out-of-control, IMO. However, even before the distants injunction, Dish Albany didn't carry ABC. No matter the reason, this isn't fair to consumers who are FORCED to purchase locals (if they want to watch networks) and then cannot get the same affiliates as those on cable. (I KNOW LAWS, ETC.) Not debating the laws, but it all stinks for the consumer. I will say that I applaud DISH for trying everything possible to fight the injunctions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.