DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AllStar
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good amount of ABC recordings and maybe even some other stations have been getting cut off right at the end and its starting to irritate the heck out of me... the clock is correct, the shows/recordings are starting on time and no other recordings / tuner changes are cutting off the recording.

I'm starting to suspect that this is by design, I read a little while back that stations were considering purposely starting or running their shows late to combat "TiVo" watchers and their commercial forwarding ways. The only thing is, I don't remember this problem happening this often with my old HR10.

So I'm now adding a few extra minutes to all my timers, but its quite annoying to do so and not be able to count on the default settings.

Has anyone else noticed this? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I watch Boston Legal on Tuesdays ABC, but I don't watch the show preceeding it... and I notice that the previous show does not end at 10:00pm. Boston Legal does start before the clock turns to 10:01pm usually, but does not end before 11:00pm.

NBC seems to be pretty much on the clock as does my CW for the shows I watch there. I watch some Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and some of their shows start 2 minutes earlier than the clock and end 2-3 minutes earlier as well... so that channel I have a timer problem in the opposite direction in that I would miss the beginnings if I didn't adjust manually!

·
AllStar
93 Posts
I've had to change the timer for Grey's Anatomy to end 2 minutes late. Even at the one minute late, the end was being cut off. This is something new I've seen with ABC shows this season.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
You will find that most of the ABC shows that run over have published times that end at :01 or :02. They've done that for a long time. DISH will convert all start and end times to be a multiple of 5 minutes, and pretend that the show ends at :00 instead of :01 or :02.

Use the Program Guide at the DISH website - http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/programming_guides/index.shtml
Select All Channels from the drop down instead of AT120 and a time zone and "Go" to Zap2It.com. You can find the starting times using All stations for channels 241-248, and they display a note:
On occasion, programs start at times other than the hour or half-hour.
If you are unsure of the exact start time of your favorite programming, be sure to click on the title you're looking for to get precise start time information.

If instead of All stations, you restrict it to ABC (or ABC-W), then scroll down the page of just that one station until prime time, you will see a visual white bar for shows that don't completely fill their slot. Looking at 7PM Pacific, ABC (245) has the white block tonight for "The Nine", tomorrow for "Six Degrees", Sunday the 15th for "Brothers and Sisters", Tues the 17th for "Boston Legal". If you double click those shows (easier to open it in a new window), all of those shows start at :01 which DISH will round down to :00 and you will record the last minute of the preceeding show. If you were recording the preceeding show, DISH pretends it ends early and you lose that last minute w/o trailing padding. It is worse when a show has a published starting time of :03 since DISH will round that up to start at :05 and you've missed the 1st two minutes of the show without leading padding.

Doing the above for CBS shows only one show in prime time in the next week that doesn't fill the slot - The New Adventures of Old Christine starts at :31 (meaning 2 & 1/2 Men that preceeds it is 31 minutes long and will lose its last minute w/o trailing padding.

For NBC, only Dateline tonight and ER tomorrow have :01 starting times and "short block" displays.

ABC is by far more frequent with shows running long, but it isn't alone. But they are all published to run long - DISH just choses to round times off to multiples of 5 minutes.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Happend with LOST tonight on OTA. It ran over. Same thing happend last week. Since I was taping Nine, the first couple of minutes of Nine had the ending of LOST.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
The first problem is fixing your timers to ensure you get the start and end of your favorite shows... The second problem is when you have a show at 9pm on one channel and another at 10pm on a different channel and only a single tuner DVR.

With a 622 you can record both no problem... but with a single tuner DVR (like my 501) I have to make a choice sometimes of where to sacrifice the overlap when each network is doing a different thing. Fortunately it doesn't happen that often with the shows I watch.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,262 Posts
"Lost" on ABC is notorious for ending late. Even with dual tuners, if you are recording something else at 10:00 and something else besides Lost at 9:00, you stand a chance of missing the last oh-so-important minutes of Lost (that's when something that's a revelation always happens). I now have my other 9:00 program set to end at 10 and my 10:00 program set to start at 10 and Lost set to 5 minutes over. Anybody know what happened the last couple of minutes last week on Lost?

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Yes... The blonde hair girl brought food into Jack after basically showing him that they know all there is to know about Jack. Jack asked here if his EX was happy and she said yes. She also knows who the guy that Jack's EX is hooking up with, but it seems Jack realized that the name really does not matter.

Then she left the room and leader of the others was in the next room and told here good job. She looked like she was not comfortable doing what she is doing but thanked him.. Next they showed the leader of the others deep in thought.

Fade to black....

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
I've had the last minute cut off on Fox as well as ABC. It seems like it happens most when one show ends and immediately goes into the start of the next show.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,262 Posts
Ron Barry said:
Yes... The blonde hair girl brought food into Jack after basically showing him that they know all there is to know about Jack. Jack asked here if his EX was happy and she said yes. She also knows who the guy that Jack's EX is hooking up with, but it seems Jack realized that the name really does not matter.

Then she left the room and leader of the others was in the next room and told here good job. She looked like she was not comfortable doing what she is doing but thanked him.. Next they showed the leader of the others deep in thought.

Fade to black....
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!:D

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts

·
Icon
844 Posts
"Lost" always runs over. This happened frequently last year as well. Thankfully, I also already record The Nine, but I think I'll shift my start and end times by two minutes to avoid the trouble of having to go to a different recording to see the end of "Lost".

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
The head of the others tells jack that he will send him home if he helps in. He tells jack that they are in contact with the outside world and the the redsox wins the world series. Jacks does not believe him and the other shows a a clip of the final out when they bet the cards.

·
AllStar
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ron Barry said:
The head of the others tells jack that he will send him home if he helps in. He tells jack that they are in contact with the outside world and the the redsox wins the world series. Jacks does not believe him and the other shows a a clip of the final out when they bet the cards.
Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.