DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating leaving DirecTV for Dish for a couple months, but I have a lot of inertia to overcome (all my recordings, plus the billing and service hassles, etc) but the newest price bump (in Feb for DTV) has prompted me.

At the time, I had concerns because my locals aren't in HD, and I wasn't sure if I could manage well (once you go HD, you don't go back), but I picked up a $90 antenna, and it seems to work just fine, so although it's a little more hassle, I'll get used to it eventually...

(although it sure would be nice of them to get with the times and start offering HD in Lafayette...)

Anyway, now I'm having issues with the plans and pricing. I seem to remember gold and silver packages being offered with Blockbuster promos or something... are those gone now? I didn't see them on the website.

Also, what should I watch out for during the transition? Should I set up Dish before I cancel DTV? What hardware should I get? We watch 95+% of our TV on one main set, but I'm open to getting another box if it's cheap...

Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Banned
120 Posts
JayVee said:
I've been contemplating leaving DirecTV for Dish for a couple months, but I have a lot of inertia to overcome (all my recordings, plus the billing and service hassles, etc) but the newest price bump (in Feb for DTV) has prompted me.

At the time, I had concerns because my locals aren't in HD, and I wasn't sure if I could manage well (once you go HD, you don't go back), but I picked up a $90 antenna, and it seems to work just fine, so although it's a little more hassle, I'll get used to it eventually...

(although it sure would be nice of them to get with the times and start offering HD in Lafayette...)

Anyway, now I'm having issues with the plans and pricing. I seem to remember gold and silver packages being offered with Blockbuster promos or something... are those gone now? I didn't see them on the website.

Also, what should I watch out for during the transition? Should I set up Dish before I cancel DTV? What hardware should I get? We watch 95+% of our TV on one main set, but I'm open to getting another box if it's cheap...

Thanks in advance for the input!
you can get 1 DVR and up to 2 or 3 more HD boxes and install for free
free HD for life
free [email protected] for 3 months
HBO,SHOWTIME,STAZ,CINEMAX free for 3 months
on the Top 250 package normally $69.99/month you will save $30 month for 12 months ($39.99)month plus DVR fees and additional receiver fees after the the first one(the one with the highest fee is included)

·
Icon
862 Posts
Get the 722K DVR. This will allow you to record 4 shows at the same time as long as 2 of them are locals off your antenna. This also allows you to record 3 shows and watch another at the same time. With the free movie channels you can find lots of stuff to record. Also with Dish you can attach a external hard drive up to 2TB using a USB connection and still use the 722K's on board hard drive. A sweet setup what with your ability to record so many shows. Good luck.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So one HDDVR for the family room is included in the price, and the second receiver is $6 per month?

I've heard people talk about a "duo" -- what is that, and would it apply?

·
Banned
120 Posts
JayVee said:
So one HDDVR for the family room is included in the price, and the second receiver is $6 per month?

I've heard people talk about a "duo" -- what is that, and would it apply?
yes you can get one 722 DVR for free and the 2nd HD receiver is free but comes with a $6 monthly fee

DuoDVR® ViP 722k
Supports 2 Independent viewing TVs - a remote control for each TV.
HD and SD on TV1; SD on TV2
Independently watch TV in two rooms, or watch one show while recording another in one room.
Watch a pre-recorded show while recording two separate shows at the same time
DVR so you can pause, record, and playback TV.
500 GB hard drive.
Picture-in-picture feature so you can watch two things on one screen.
DISH On Demand: choose from thousands of movie titles or TV shows

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Wait a few weeks and pick up a Hopper and a couple of Joeys.

·
Icon
1,142 Posts
The Hardware and lease pricing all changes in a few weeks with the Hopper and Joey, plus they will be the current models. If you get something now it will NOT be getting very many software updates as it is discontinued.
If you get something now it will be discontinued in 2 weeks. They will still support it though.

I will PM you the new pricing sheet that is on a public web site now.

·
Icon
835 Posts
If you wanted to save a little $$, you could get a 722K with an over the air module.

The TV1 output is in HD and you can connect it to your main TV set with an HDMI cable. The TV2 output is in SD, but you can split that output to other TVs in your house. On the "other TVs," you will be able to tune each TV to either ch 73 to watch whatever is being viewed on the main TV or ch. 75 to watch whatever is being viewed on the TV2 output. You will need to buy additional remote controls if you have more than one "other TV."

·
Icon
835 Posts
scottchez said:
The Hardware and lease pricing all changes in a few weeks with the Hopper and Joey, plus they will be the current models. If you get something now it will NOT be getting very many software updates as it is discontinued.
If you get something now it will be discontinued in 2 weeks.
I doubt they will discontinue the 722K in the near future and I would advise against buying electronics when they first come out unless you can accept that you will have problems and it will not be reliable.

·
Godfather
499 Posts
scorpion43 said:
yes you can get one 722 DVR for free and the 2nd HD receiver is free but comes with a $6 monthly fee

DuoDVR® ViP 722k
Supports 2 Independent viewing TVs - a remote control for each TV.
HD and SD on TV1; SD on TV2
Independently watch TV in two rooms, or watch one show while recording another in one room.
Watch a pre-recorded show while recording two separate shows at the same time
DVR so you can pause, record, and playback TV.
500 GB hard drive.
Picture-in-picture feature so you can watch two things on one screen.
DISH On Demand: choose from thousands of movie titles or TV shows
The second receiver you mention actually carries a $7.00 mo. addl. receiver fee.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jsk said:
If you wanted to save a little $$, you could get a 722K with an over the air module.

The TV1 output is in HD and you can connect it to your main TV set with an HDMI cable. The TV2 output is in SD, but you can split that output to other TVs in your house. On the "other TVs," you will be able to tune each TV to either ch 73 to watch whatever is being viewed on the main TV or ch. 75 to watch whatever is being viewed on the TV2 output. You will need to buy additional remote controls if you have more than one "other TV."
Awesome, thanks guys.

If I opt for something like the 722k (because of the availability of the OTA module) would the installer install the antenna, too? I mean, I can install it on the roof, but running the coax through the wall and everything, I'm not too sure about.

Also, does the OTA module come with the box, or do I have to order/install it separately?

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
JayVee said:
Awesome, thanks guys.

If I opt for something like the 722k (because of the availability of the OTA module) would the installer install the antenna, too? I mean, I can install it on the roof, but running the coax through the wall and everything, I'm not too sure about.

Also, does the OTA module come with the box, or do I have to order/install it separately?
You have to order the OTA module separately, but if you call in to order, you generally can get it with the initial order and install.

As to the cable, if you can get the cable from the antenna to a location that would work, they can use a diplexer at each end to connect to both the 722K and the OTA module.

In my house, they bring the satellite cable into the garage and go to the units from there, so when I had my antenna installed, I made sure there was a long cable pigtail in the garage for them to hook to. Gave the installer a $20 as a tip since he got it all connected and working right with no hassle.

·
Icon
678 Posts
lparsons21 said:
You have to order the OTA module separately, but if you call in to order, you generally can get it with the initial order and install.
No you cant.
An agent can order for you at the same they set up the upgrade but the ota would just be mailed out separately. Its been like 2 months since i worked there so unless they changed it in those 2 months this isnt possible.

If you want the ota module installed with the rest of the system its best to get it done through a retailer/dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.