DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had problems with scheduled recordings, lockups, gray boxes of death and for the first time a football game with no audio. I called up DTV for the 6th time in 3 months and they offered to send me a "new" refurbished box.

Tech support couldn't explain why the new box would help and could not assure me that it would fix my problem. My gut is telling me its a software issue but who knows.

So, what does everyone think? should I install a new box?

[I recall the installer running back and forth from my equipment closet to the living room because for some reason he had to use the front panel buttons instead of the remote until it was configured properly. I hope I don't have to deal with this if I get a new box.]

pete

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
At this point, since I don't really like "refurb", I might suggest waiting just a bit longer until the new software release comes out "any time now". Sure, reformat if you want, tho I'm not sure that would help anything accept problems with the prioritizer listings.

If that doesn't help, then you can always take the refurb unit.

Just my thoughts,
Cheers,
Tom

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tibber said:
At this point, since I don't really like "refurb", I might suggest waiting just a bit longer until the new software release comes out "any time now".
So you don't think that it's a hardware issue? (I think it's still a software related issue).

pete

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
pmauro said:
So you don't think that it's a hardware issue? (I think it's still a software related issue).

pete
Pete,

It might be a hardware issue, but I agree with you that it more likely is a software issue. And since the next software release is due "any day now", perhaps even Tuesday or Wednesday, I would wait. I understand that I'm suggesting patience in a time when patience might be very difficult--I'd be going apeshat if I didn't have my Tivos still.

Another thing you could do is process in parallel. Tell D* to send the refurb. About the time you have to send one back, pick whichever you think will work better (cuz by then you might have the new software too.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good advice tom. I have the refurb box sitting here now unopened but I am not sure how to verify that the patch worked. I don't know if this is a repeatable problem. I could hold on to it for a couple of weeks I guess but other than that it's pretty unscientific...

pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.