DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
Sometimes it happens...

If it happens again, try powering the box down, removing the card, and carefully using a clean pencil eraser "clean" the gold contacts. Reinsert the card and power the box back up...

You can also, while the card is out, use a little canned air and blow out (gently) the access card slot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
mobandit said:
Sometimes it happens...

If it happens again, try powering the box down, removing the card, and carefully using a clean pencil eraser "clean" the gold contacts. Reinsert the card and power the box back up...

You can also, while the card is out, use a little canned air and blow out (gently) the access card slot.
I'd forego the pencil eraser in favor a clean lint free cloth....
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
549 Posts
You gotta be careful with drugstore rubbing alcohol, it isn't meant for cleaning. It often contains additives that leave a film on the item you are trying to clean.

Most drugstores also carry 91% (or even better, 99%) USP alcohol which is nothing but isopropyl alcohol and pure water. Much better for cleaning purposes.

Of course, if your state allows the sale of Everclear, that works too . . .:lol:

Keith
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
wahooq said:
I'd forego the pencil eraser in favor a clean lint free cloth....
The lint free cloth may not remove deposits....

The clean pencil eraser was an authorized item in cleaning gold contacts in a highly technical electronics program that i once participated in...I think it would be good for a DBS system...
 

·
Superfly
Joined
·
4,567 Posts
PokerJoker said:
Of course, if your state allows the sale of Everclear, that works too . . .:lol:
Back in the days when I'd take a tape deck into a bar to record a band, in a pinch I'd clean tape heads with vodka and a drink napkin wrapped around the end of my finger. The only problem was I'd have to drink the rest of the shot. Damn!

:grin:
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
455 Posts
Sea story follows - "This is no s**t"

Back in the old Navy when ships were steam powered boiler water was tested for hardness by adding a soap solution to a sample, shaking it, and measuring the time it took for the bubbles to go away. The soap solution liquid base was 190 proof undenatured ethyl alcohol. Water testers were told in school that the alcohol was a deadly poison but some of us knew better.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top