DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Fresno State Bulldog!
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here so go easy on me....had a couple questions about activating....I recently picked up a 3LNB dish via Craigslist for $20 and my wife brought me home a D10-200 receiver and access card that they had sitting in a storage room at her office (she's the HR Manager and checked with the CEO of the company first and he gave the ok to take it, they were going to junk it anyways). I'd like to hook it up and get just NFL Sunday Ticket with it....is that possible? Or will I have to have a minimum level of service? Also can I just activate the equipment on a month to month basis or is there a certain contract period I'd have to commit to? I currently have Comcast and am happy with them as I don't want to shell out the $$ up front for 2 HD DVR's and 2 HD receivers from DirecTV (otherwise I would switch completely to DirecTV in a heartbeat). Am I out of luck or would a call to DirecTV yield better answers? Thanks in advance! :)

· Registered
5,670 Posts
You cannot just get Sunday Ticket. You must have the minimum programming package - I think that's the Family package and I don't know how much it costs. You'll also most likely get hit with a commitment of 18 months.

You're going to have to have the prior owner make sure the D10 is no longer listed on their account so you can use it - also need to make sure their account is current or DirecTV won't do the transfer. You'll need to pay for a new access card also.

You probably would have done better to get the free install with Sunday Ticket, a free HD DVR and 3 or 4 months of the Premier movie package free.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
DirecTV will not let you create a new account with used equipment. If you are looking for no commitment, at the very least, you'd need to purchase a single basic receiver directly from DirecTV, to own, at full price ($149). With that, you could set up an account and have no commitment (you have to provide your own dish and install). You could then add receivers to that account.

In order to reuse the D10-200, you'll need to contact DirecTV and ask for the Access Card department and order a new access card for it ($20). Make sure to verify that the receiver is owned (I'm positive it isn't leased) and transferable before you do this. DirecTV will not activate a card that was active on another account.

In order to have the Sunday Ticket, you will need to subscribe to a base package. The Famiy package is $29/month for one receiver, $5/month each additional. With your equipment, you would only get the Standard Def version, of course.

· Fresno State Bulldog!
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIP said:
DirecTV will not let you create a new account with used equipment. If you are looking for no commitment, at the very least, you'd need to purchase a single basic receiver directly from DirecTV, to own, at full price ($149). With that, you could set up an account and have no commitment (you have to provide your own dish and install). You could then add receivers to that account.

In order to reuse the D10-200, you'll need to contact DirecTV and ask for the Access Card department and order a new access card for it ($20). Make sure to verify that the receiver is owned (I'm positive it isn't leased) and transferable before you do this. DirecTV will not activate a card that was active on another account.

In order to have the Sunday Ticket, you will need to subscribe to a base package. The Famiy package is $29/month for one receiver, $5/month each additional. With your equipment, you would only get the Standard Def version, of course.
Thanks for the quick responses, however your post confused me a bit....first paragraph you say that they won't let me create an account with used equip. but then you said in the 2nd paragraph to request a new access card for the receiver I have.... :confused:

· Fresno State Bulldog!
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rudeney said:
I believe that was a suggestion to request the access card for the used receiver if you wanted to use it in addition to the new receiver you'd be getting from D*.
Ahh I understand now :) Thanks for clearing that up.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.