DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Icon
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be handy to check 99 and 103 levels so I ordered one of these. Price seemed too good to be true.

Apparently this thing picks up any set of random satellites and give signals on 99 101 and 103 without even being aimed at any of those three.

Is there a way to make this meter work right or a way to tell if you are actually on the right array?

·
Icon
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats great, but a new tech of mine is the one thats going to be using it.

As for that I am the only certified installer in the state, HSP doesnt even have any certifications, but I do.

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
Jodean said:
Is there a way to make this meter work right or a way to tell if you are actually on the right array?
Jodean said:

As for that I am the only certified installer in the state, HSP doesnt even have any certifications, but I do.
I remember those certifications. You sit in a class or watch a video at home, take an on line test, several times if needed. Then your certified.

The secret to using a meter that dosen't lock on satellites is a plumb mast, knowing how to use a compass and a little practice.

Teach your rookie to stand on the spot where the mast will go, pick a spot down range in line with the satellite. Install the mast in a secure perfectly plumb and certified, approved manner. With a Ka/KU dish take the tilt out. Point it at the spot he picked out using the compass, snug up the cinch bolts, set the elevation and he should have a signal. Might take a little wiggle. Peak the dish add the tilt and dither in a certified manner. Piece of cake, with a little practice.

·
Icon
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
samrs said:
I remember those certifications. You sit in a class or watch a video at home, take an on line test, several times if needed. Then your certified.

The secret to using a meter that dosen't lock on satellites is a plumb mast, knowing how to use a compass and a little practice.

Teach your rookie to stand on the spot where the mast will go, pick a spot down range in line with the satellite. Install the mast in a secure perfectly plumb and certified, approved manner. With a Ka/KU dish take the tilt out. Point it at the spot he picked out using the compass, snug up the cinch bolts, set the elevation and he should have a signal. Might take a little wiggle. Peak the dish add the tilt and dither in a certified manner. Piece of cake, with a little practice.
the problem i see, ive only tried the meter a couple times, is that its locks on to a different array less than 5 * of where it should be.......even looking at a dish thats right next to another one it still "looks" aimed correctly yet has zeros on all satellites

·
Icon
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
samrs said:
Yes, the only difference was that i watched the videos and learned anything i didnt know already, which i already new most everything.

Both Wild Blue and SBCA certified.

Got to admit the SBCA was a joke, although the videos were good training material, the actual test asked things like where you park your van......what a joke.

Few things i found were like a smashed coax line loses certian higher frequency ranges yet has lower ones full signal, made sense when in past i just knew to run a new line, but now i actually know why it doesnt work in the first place, not that you really need to know things like that, any tech should replace a line not bringing up sat 103 at full strength anyhow but i like knowing extra knowledge like that any other tech gives two ****s less about.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Jodean said:
Few things i found were like a smashed coax line loses certian higher frequency ranges yet has lower ones full signal, made sense...
That isn't really it though.
Where it's "smashed" in the wavelength is more relative than if it's higher or lower frequency, though the higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths so there's more chances "the smashed point" will cause problems.

·
Icon
1,674 Posts
Jodean said:

I know techs in SD that are certified in fact entire offices full of techs that are.

·
Icon
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
west99999 said:
I know techs in SD that are certified in fact entire offices full of techs that are.
Really? Where? There is only one office here.......?? I think they have a whopping 10 techs is all.....

Thats kinda funny as i have 5 techs and do half the directv jobs in this area.

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
Jodean said:
So the moral of this story is no one has a clue about this meter yet posted about it anyway?
Your the one that purchased a meter that "Locks On", doesn't say anything about "IDing", which is what you seem to expect. Spend a little more and get what you want, Birddog, AIM, Super Buddy.

·
Legend
146 Posts
Jodean said:
I thought it would be handy to check 99 and 103 levels so I ordered one of these. Price seemed too good to be true.

Apparently this thing picks up any set of random satellites and give signals on 99 101 and 103 without even being aimed at any of those three.
Sounds like you may be using it on a SWM lnb without getting the SWM into diagnostic mode. I use one to set up my SWM Slimline for my RV. You should first power up the LNB using the ASL-1 splitter and peak the signal before powering up the STB. Otherwise the meter will display a signal level no matter where the dish is pointed.

It does not differentiate or indicate which satellite it is seeing so you have to have a pretty good idea where 101 is before starting.

·
Icon
1,674 Posts
Jodean said:
Really? Where? There is only one office here.......?? I think they have a whopping 10 techs is all.....

Thats kinda funny as i have 5 techs and do half the directv jobs in this area.
You have your location as SD so I assume South Dakota and I know of 2 maybe 3 O&O offices there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.