DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try Peacock and signed up for the "ad-free" Peacock Premium Plus tier. First show I tried streaming (an episode of The Blacklist, an NBC show), had multiple unskippable commercial breaks during the show. There is no free trial, so they will get my money 30 days. I guess they think they can force me to watch ads. Get a clue, Peacock.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
"*Due to streaming rights, a small amount of programming will still contain ads (Peacock channels, events and a few shows and movies)."

Reactions: SamC

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I saw that after I signed up. That's probably why they don't offer a free trial. My point is that they really shouldn't be selling it as an ad-free tier unless it really is ad-free. Oh, well. I'll keep it for 30 days, watch what interests me (minus the commercials, of course), and then cancel it out. As I said, Peacock really needs to get a clue if they want to be more than a minor player in streaming.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,997 Posts
Yeah, I saw that after I signed up. That's probably why they don't offer a free trial. My point is that they really shouldn't be selling it as an ad-free tier unless it really is ad-free. Oh, well. I'll keep it for 30 days, watch what interests me (minus the commercials, of course), and then cancel it out. As I said, Peacock really needs to get a clue if they want to be more than a minor player in streaming.
All ad free services have some ads. And peacock offered a free trial for a long time

Reactions: gio12

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Yeah, I saw that after I signed up.
The plan is called "Peacock Premium Plus" ... I'm not sure how you missed the disclaimer. It is not buried on the home page.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I had Paramount+ ad free (back when there was new Star Trek content to be had) and there were no commercials -- the extra $3/month was worth it. There were lead-in promos for other Paramount+ offerings but pretty much every service I've used has those and you get a bunch of them when you go to a movie theater. Amazon allows you to skip promos and I suspect other services do as well.

·
Legend
213 Posts
I have been with Hulu Plus for many years, and able to watch ABC programs without ad interruptions. At most, there is an ad in the beginning of the program. But not during the program.

I used to get NBC shows reliably on Hulu, like Saturday Night Live without ads on Sunday morning. But since Peacock was contrived, the next day availability went away on Hulu. By Monday, I have no interest in watching SNL, and I usually only check out for political satire clips.

Since I have Peacock as well, I then tried viewing the season premiere SNL, Sunday morning on Peacock and got clips of the episode, and buffering, than the whole episode in continuity without buffering.

I got Peacock last year on a Black Friday sale, and wanted to watch Saved By The Bell reboot, along with King of Queens and The Office reruns. But compared to Hulu, it doesn't offer as much and their app is crap. Comcast/NBC went cheap or low quality in, that's their strategy.

I probably won't renew. It's no surprise that their subscription numbers are weak and they try to force YouTube to force its customers to take Peacock.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had Paramount+ ad free (back when there was new Star Trek content to be had) and there were no commercials -- the extra $3/month was worth it. There were lead-in promos for other Paramount+ offerings but pretty much every service I've used has those and you get a bunch of them when you go to a movie theater. Amazon allows you to skip promos and I suspect other services do as well.
That is correct - I have the ad-free Paramount+ and I can confirm that there are no commercials during TV shows and movies. You often get a short promo for another show at the start, but no ads run during the program. I also have ad-free Hulu, which has 6 or 7 shows where there is a 15-second commercial at the beginning and end, but nothing during the show itself. I subscribe, or have subscribed to, most of the major streaming services - Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, AMC+, Disney+, and Epix, in addition to those already mentioned. None of them are doing what Peacock is doing - i.e, running ads during shows on a tier sold as ad-free. Assertions to the contrary are just not true.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
I have peacock premium and usually no ads. Sometimes a show wgeh starting will have one and a few shows 2-3 short ones.
Amazon prime watching shows on the IMB stream, as ads and stuck wit them.

Now the new Law and Order SVU shows recored via YouTube TV and not giving me the DVR version, only OD and

commercials. This is BS and don't know why.

·
Mentor
482 Posts
I think two statements can be made, and both can be true:

1. Yes, statements for the "ad-free" tier include the mention that some programs still do contain ads. That communication is being made to consumers in some capacity, so they should be aware of what they're purchasing.
2. It's lame to put an asterisk to "ad-free" and advertise it as such, regardless of how you try to pass along ads in some programs. "Limited ads" would be a straightforward and fair way to promote the tier.

Reactions: the2130

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Paramount+'s disclaimer is buried deeper on their website (at least it was when I went looking for it). Several "FAQ" answers for "why am I seeing ads?"
Peacock's is clear on the website. I decided not to pay extra for "no ads" and don't consider the breaks to be overly annoying. It isn't worth the extra money to me to remove most ads.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,243 Posts
I signed up for a three-month free promotional sub -- actually a Safeway Monopoly winner -- for Peacock Premium Plus. We watched episodes of B Positive without any commercials. There wasn't enough programming there to entice us to pay for any additional months.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think two statements can be made, and both can be true:

1. Yes, statements for the "ad-free" tier include the mention that some programs still do contain ads. That communication is being made to consumers in some capacity, so they should be aware of what they're purchasing.
2. It's lame to put an asterisk to "ad-free" and advertise it as such, regardless of how you try to pass along ads in some programs. "Limited ads" would be a straightforward and fair way to promote the tier.
Yes, it is lame to offer an "ad-free" tier that isn't really ad-free. Even if I had seen the disclaimer, it doesn't tell me which shows have ads or when they appear. I could have read that and interpreted it to mean there are ads in programs like live sports events, or a short ad at the beginning like what Hulu does. Hulu is at least honest about it - they tell you there are a handful of shows that will have a 15-second ad at the beginning and end of the show. It's annoying, but not a deal-breaker for people like me who have little tolerance for advertising. Someone mentioned that Peacock offered a free trial at one time. This is probably the reason they don't offer it any more - too many cancelations by people who thought they were paying for ad-free programming.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
All ad free services have some ads. And peacock offered a free trial for a long time
HBO Max's ad-free tier has no ads and is the only one to do this.

Yes, it is lame to offer an "ad-free" tier that isn't really ad-free. Even if I had seen the disclaimer, it doesn't tell me which shows have ads or when they appear. I could have read that and interpreted it to mean there are ads in programs like live sports events, or a short ad at the beginning like what Hulu does. Hulu is at least honest about it - they tell you there are a handful of shows that will have a 15-second ad at the beginning and end of the show. It's annoying, but not a deal-breaker for people like me who have little tolerance for advertising. Someone mentioned that Peacock offered a free trial at one time. This is probably the reason they don't offer it any more - too many cancelations by people who thought they were paying for ad-free programming.
Peacock could be a little more transparent about the shows with and without ads. With the movies on Peacock that have ads on all tiers there is a disclaimer that appears in the description (usually they say something like "This movie is free to all Peacock users with ads.")

IIRC they discontinued free trials for the two Premium tiers when WWE Network was integrated into Peacock but that section has no ads on both Premium tiers.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,997 Posts
HBO Max's ad-free tier has no ads and is the only one to do this.

Peacock could be a little more transparent about the shows with and without ads. With the movies on Peacock that have ads on all tiers there is a disclaimer that appears in the description (usually they say something like "This movie is free to all Peacock users with ads.")

IIRC they discontinued free trials for the two Premium tiers when WWE Network was integrated into Peacock but that section has no ads on both Premium tiers.
I get ads for other HBO Max shows on there ad free tier

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.