DBSTalk Forum banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yeah I watch a lot of other channels than locals. I'd have to check Hulu again. When I had ad free there were a lot of TV shows that weren't on there at all.

I didn't add in the HD boxes to the price. I just listed it as $8.99 per month option.

And you are right that is a lot cheaper than DirecTV. If I lived alone I'd probably do that and keep Paramount+ and Discovery+ which I watch a lot of stuff on. And like I said I would have to take another look at Hulu ad free. All of those together would still be far cheaper than DirecTV sat. If like you say Hulu ad free would fill in most everything besides Paramount+ it might be an option. If not I would have to have the Cloud DVR as I work nights.
Well, cable shows (outside of premium services) typically don't show up next-day on any of the SVODs. Exceptions are shows on FX, FXX, and Freeform, which come to Hulu. I think Discovery also experiments with putting some of their cable networks' new episodes on Discovery+ pretty quickly (e.g. within a week) but I think it varies from show to show.

Aside from that, the great majority of cable shows do end up on one SVOD or another after the season has finished airing on cable -- the entire season will become available at once, anywhere from a few weeks to several months later, on Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max, Peacock or Paramount+. But which service they go to doesn't always line up with which cable network it aired on.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Well, cable shows (outside of premium services) typically don't show up next-day on any of the SVODs. Exceptions are shows on FX, FXX, and Freeform, which come to Hulu. I think Discovery also experiments with putting some of their cable networks' new episodes on Discovery+ pretty quickly (e.g. within a week) but I think it varies from show to show.

Aside from that, the great majority of cable shows do end up on one SVOD or another after the season has finished airing on cable -- the entire season will become available at once, anywhere from a few weeks to several months later, on Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max, Peacock or Paramount+. But which service they go to doesn't always line up with which cable network it aired on.
I don't mind waiting for an entire season of a show to appear on a streaming service. It's a better viewing experience - no ads interrupting the show, no graphics overlays on the screen, and I don't have to wait a week between episodes. For streaming shows that drop one episode per week, I usually wait until all episodes are available before watching.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Just saw another exception today -- saw an ad for the new season of the Bravo show Project Runway which said that new eps stream next-day on Peacock. And I'd already read that that would be the case with the new season of Bravo's Below Decks. (A recent season of the show this summer actually debuted a week early on Peacock, before airing on Bravo, but that was a one-off deal.) I've never watched anything from Bravo -- not my cup o' tea -- but it looks like NBCU is gradually making it a next-day feeder for Peacock the way Disney has done with their FX and Freeform cable channels for Hulu. Wonder if we'll see NBCU also do it with scripted originals from their USA cable net?

81 - 83 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.