DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever try putting 1000.4 lnb head-end on a D* dish for EA?
Bigger dish, bigger mast,(more surface, more rigid) I used to use 2 Primestar dishes rather than Dish500. Don't recall any rain fade. Does the 1000.4 lnb set fit the Slimline?

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
Stop and think what you are asking to do. Think of a magnifying glass focusing a point of light, at 14" it is a bright small concentrated spot. At 15" the spot is a little dimmer and larger in diameter at 13" the same is true. The focal point is 14" a satellite dish is similar except for the dish may have 3 focal points for a 1000.4. The Slimline dish has 3 or 5 focal points. DISH has satellites at different positions from Directv, how many of Directv's focal points would coincide with the needed focal points to receive DISH HD signals? Eastern arc 61.5/72.7 and 77 for satellite locations.

Using Primestar dishes each was looking at 1 satellite so larger surface area worked and you only had one focal point.

· Super Moderator
54,194 Posts
The right dish would be better and fairly cheap. Fooling around trying to adapt something is for masochists and those who cannot purchase the right dish legally. :)

· Legend
171 Posts
The inside face of a 1000.4 LNBF is 21 1/2" from the reflector using the .4 arm and bracket. Whatever adapter you make to fit the LNB to the Slimline arm should maintain this distance. My hypothesis is that the Slimline parabola has a bit different curvature than the .4, so 61.5/77 will be lower than if using the correct dish. Good luck, let us know how it goes:)

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Actually he would want to mount the lnb at the focal point DirecTv uses for their dish, not the distance Dish uses, since its the dish parabola that determines the focal point.

I am using a 1 meter dish for DirecTv, works great.

· Mr. FixAnything
27,977 Posts
I have no doubt in the OP's variant, perhaps just need make own custom holder or find a way to put his LNBF's block at proper focal point.
I got good results using KuKa combo from AT-9 with monofeed(!) 1m reflector when first Ka sat went to orbit; later I added 110/119 and 95W LNBFs to it - works fine for a few years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.