DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new poster with a couple questions here. First off I have an H21 hooked up to an HD set downstairs and a D11 hooked up to a SD set upstairs, those are my only two receivers.

So I'm thinking about adding an HD DVR to my system to replace the H21. I only have one cable running to the back of the H21 but my understanding is I'll need two to get the most out of an HR21. No big deal, I would think it would be relatively easy to do myself as all of my cables run from my basement and the HR21 would be going downstairs. Now my question is where am I running the new cable from? With only having two receivers I would assume directly from the dish into my house?

Now my second issue. Can I take the H21 I already have and move it to my SD TV upstairs? I'm planning on replacing that TV with an HD probably within the next six months or so and don't really feel like sending it back to D* only to have to buy/lease another one for $99 six months down the road. I guess my only concern is will the H21 work ok on an SD set, and if so is there anything I need to do with the receiver other than plug it in and hook it up to the TV?

Normally I'd just order it from D* and have them send someone out to install everything but I already have a gift card for CC and figured I'd just pick an HR21 up there and do it myself. Unless of course I'm getting in way over my head.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
ryno2292 said:
Hi guys new poster with a couple questions here. First off I have an H21 hooked up to an HD set downstairs and a D11 hooked up to a SD set upstairs, those are my only two receivers.

So I'm thinking about adding an HD DVR to my system to replace the H21. I only have one cable running to the back of the H21 but my understanding is I'll need two to get the most out of an HR21. No big deal, I would think it would be relatively easy to do myself as all of my cables run from my basement and the HR21 would be going downstairs. Now my question is where am I running the new cable from? With only having two receivers I would assume directly from the dish into my house?

Now my second issue. Can I take the H21 I already have and move it to my SD TV upstairs? I'm planning on replacing that TV with an HD probably within the next six months or so and don't really feel like sending it back to D* only to have to buy/lease another one for $99 six months down the road. I guess my only concern is will the H21 work ok on an SD set, and if so is there anything I need to do with the receiver other than plug it in and hook it up to the TV?

Normally I'd just order it from D* and have them send someone out to install everything but I already have a gift card for CC and figured I'd just pick an HR21 up there and do it myself. Unless of course I'm getting in way over my head.
If your installer installed the dish as he was supposed to, all you should need to to is run a line from one of the two unused ports on the ground block to where your putting the HR2x.

As long as your SD TV has at least composite (Yellow, Red & White) inputs, then yes you can use the H21 on it. I advise customers all the time when doing upgrades to move it to another room and swap out a SD box. All for the same reasons you mention. Why pay for the box again down the road. You could then even put the SD box somewhere else if you wanted to.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RobertE said:
If your installer installed the dish as he was supposed to, all you should need to to is run a line from one of the two unused ports on the ground block to where your putting the HR2x.

As long as your SD TV has at least composite (Yellow, Red & White) inputs, then yes you can use the H21 on it. I advise customers all the time when doing upgrades to move it to another room and swap out a SD box. All for the same reasons you mention. Why pay for the box again down the road. You could then even put the SD box somewhere else if you wanted to.
I checked it out and everything was definitely installed right. I have open ports available at the ground block as you said so it looks like it would be a pretty easy run to the HR21.

The SD has composite, component, and S-Video, so it should be no problem using the H21 upstairs until I upgrade TV's. Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.