DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· AllStar
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a long time DTV subscriber with an HR44 Genie, Mini Geni, HR24, and THR22. My adult son lives with me and the HR24 & THR22 are his and aren't connected to my HR44.

My living room isn't my main TV so I've been feeding it with RF but I've decided I want HD there now. An HR24 (don't want another Mini) seems to fit the bill and from searching I can purchase it from Solid Signal or Weaknees.

On Solid Signal's website it first shows it has been discontinued but down the page it shows an HR24... is this the one I want? Are these new or refurbished? DIRECTV Receivers, Get Genie, 4K and More | Solid Signal

Do these come with an access card or do you have to call DTV to get one?

What are your thought about using an HDMI Range Extender/HDMI Splitter instead of an HR24 not taking into consideration you would gain two tuners? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KGWXJSG/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1 How about Fiber Optic HDMI cables? Either method would be running a 50ft run.

· Registered
4,146 Posts
I'm a long time DTV subscriber with an HR44 Genie, Mini Geni, HR24, and THR22. My adult son lives with me and the HR24 & THR22 are his and aren't connected to my HR44.

My living room isn't my main TV so I've been feeding it with RF but I've decided I want HD there now. An HR24 (don't want another Mini) seems to fit the bill and from searching I can purchase it from Solid Signal or Weaknees.

On Solid Signal's website it first shows it has been discontinued but down the page it shows an HR24... is this the one I want? Are these new or refurbished? DIRECTV Receivers, Get Genie, 4K and More | Solid Signal

Do these come with an access card or do you have to call DTV to get one?

What are your thought about using an HDMI Range Extender/HDMI Splitter instead of an HR24 not taking into consideration you would gain two tuners? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KGWXJSG/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1 How about Fiber Optic HDMI cables? Either method would be running a 50ft run.
Your best bet is to call SS and find out for sure if they can send you one --it will come with an access card if they can.
Your second option will work if your unable to get a HR24

· AllStar
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weaknees does have them in stock and comes with an access card so maybe the place to buy.

What happens if you have an HR24 that go bad will DTV replace it with another HR24?

Will an HDMI Range Extender/Splitter work just as well as getting an HR24? I would be taking the signal from a MIni, splitting and then sending to a receive on the other end... are there any downsides to this?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
Maybe if they have any to send out. And they will try to get you take a client. If you stick to your guns you might be able to get one. I got one a couple of weeks ago.
Methinks you understated the hoops that you had to jump through to make it happen. ;)

It is also important to note that in this case, the TS wants to ADD an HR24 rather than getting one replaced.

· AllStar
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have titled this thread “HR24 vs HDMI Range Extender vs Fiber Optic HDMI Cable”. I sure would like to know if adding two more tuners wasn’t important if the other two options are a legitimate substitute? Like are there disadvantages?

· AllStar
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never given the app much thought not knowing exactly how it would work as a substitution for receiver. My son who's blind occasionally uses this TV and I wouldn't want to complicate things for him.

· Godfather
364 Posts
I have an HR54 and HR24. 20+ year subscriber. They will not replace the HR24 if it goes bad. if it’s just the hard drive you can fix it your self easily which I have done in the past.

I too have not switched to streaming because the price is similar and I would loose too many features from the satellite.

DVR (Commercial Skipping)
Extra Channels
Music channels
Voice & Smart home control
Etc

On a side note, you mentioned your son is blind. FYI, you can set up your SIri (apple), Alexa (Amazon), or google devices to control the HR54 & HR44. Changing channels by voice I’m assuming would be a big benefit. “Hey Siri, ABC” for example.

I have implemented channel changes, TV guide which scrolls through the guide automatically, stop & delete among others. It’s really nice to say “Hey Siri, Rock” and it changes to the rock music station and in my case turns on the receiver, sets the volume and pipes the music through the house.

26,462 Posts
Interesting, I called several times last year and they would not allow it🤷‍♂️ The par for the course with Customer Service. 😖
Some of the inconsistency may come from whether your account is with DIRECTV or AT&T. AT&T may (or may not) be more conservative about what they offer.

That the parties that were able to get replacements were asked to return their old receivers may suggest a new attitude toward old iron.

· AllStar
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been going back & forth on whether to get an HR24, HDMI Range Extender and now using their app. I was all ready to order an HR24 this morning until I realized I couldn't use the Genie RC7X remote with it... I hate the location of the transport buttons the RC6X remotes. Now I don't know.

The HDMI Range Extender is still an option but then I've got to get someone to run some Cat6 for me I'm not able to do stuff like that anymore. Plus there's the reliability of the Orei electronics.

I do have more questions about the DTV app should I start a new thread for that?

26,462 Posts
I was all ready to order an HR24 this morning until I realized I couldn't use the Genie RC7X remote with it... I hate the location of the transport buttons the RC6X remotes.
It is great to hear that you're thinking ahead. The layout isn't much different other than the RC6x having a separate pause button. The location of the array on the remote is far from my preference.

Some of the HDMI extenders offer an IR remote extender option as well. I use an old Monoprice extender that relays the IR signal from the remote unit to an IR emitter near my source "stack".

· AllStar
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found an old MX-350 that I'm experimenting with as a replace for the Genie remote and no problem learning from a RC6X remote... but for some reason I can't learn from my Samsung Smart remote for my Samsung TU8000 series TV? Any any idea why?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts