DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to add two additional receivers to my setup (1 HD-DVR and 1 HD) and wanted to be prepared for what to expect for installation. I believe I currently have:
-Slimline-5S (SWM) to 8 way splitter on outside of house feeding to following receivers on inside:
-HR-21-700 with power inserter, cck and deca
-HR-21-700 with deca
-HR24-100

I already have a line run from splitter outside to where the new HD-DVR will go. I wanted to know if the installer will only need to run an additional line for the HD receiver and install the 2 new receivers or will he need to do anything else (like change the splitter to a multiswitch).

Thanks in advance

· Legend
244 Posts
that would put you at 9 tuners so the tech will have to install a non swim lnb and run 4 lines down to a swim16 multiswitch, and then would split you off into 2 4-way splitters coming out of each of the 8 channel ports on the switch.

-existing line to where the hd/dvr is should be fine and just need to be plugged in to one of the splitters
-new line will be run to the hd box
-we've been told (and I've found it to be true) that the swim16 should have a dedicated power line ran and not be inline like you have it now (behind the hr21).

its a little complicated cuz you are going over the 8 tuners, but shouldnt be that big a deal

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the install done earlier this week. They did not initially install a multiswitch, just added the two receivers. I questioned them on the multiswitch and they said it was not needed. After they left there was a message that one tuner would not work as there were too many. They came back right away and questioned them again about the multiswitch and again was told it was not needed and they added a 4 way splitter coming off the original 8 way splitter (which i now realize did not have a green label). Again the same message about too many tuners appeared on a different receiver. On the next trip they changed the lnb, added the multiswitch at the dish going to two 8 way splitters and changed the power inserter from the oringinal one which was 21v to a 29v but left it behind the hr21. I have not noticed any problems with this set up but know you had mentioned the power inserter should have its own line. What issues would be experienced when the power inserter is not on its own line?

· Legend
244 Posts
smo815 said:
I had the install done earlier this week. They did not initially install a multiswitch, just added the two receivers. I questioned them on the multiswitch and they said it was not needed. After they left there was a message that one tuner would not work as there were too many. They came back right away and questioned them again about the multiswitch and again was told it was not needed and they added a 4 way splitter coming off the original 8 way splitter (which i now realize did not have a green label). Again the same message about too many tuners appeared on a different receiver. On the next trip they changed the lnb, added the multiswitch at the dish going to two 8 way splitters and changed the power inserter from the oringinal one which was 21v to a 29v but left it behind the hr21. I have not noticed any problems with this set up but know you had mentioned the power inserter should have its own line. What issues would be experienced when the power inserter is not on its own line?
wow, it took them 3 tries to realize that you had more than 8 tuners?
Especially since it was most likely on the work order for the upgrade... sad

Issues I've seen is mrv dropping out and intermittent pixelation and sometimes actual channels going sfss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.