DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 1 year into my 2 year commitment and was able to get D* to agree to swap the SD box that I have for an SD Dvr for free. Installer will be out in a few days. Any idea what receiver I will receive? The csr was insistent that an installer must cone out to run a 2nd line to the box. I thought they could just use an SWM device, like my HD DVR has. Any thoughts? Do the SD DVRs support SWM?

· Registered
4,148 Posts
Welcome to the site!
R16 will work with swim - the installer will most likely install the easiest for him so you will get a SWIM (SD) DVR.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
The R22 isn't in production anymore, it was basically an HR21 with HD disabled unless the account already had HD Access through another HR box. The R16 is what you'd get for SD on a SWM setup.

It will not be able to do Whole Home.

· In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09
3,381 Posts
If you have HD, you might look into buying a used HD DVR or and R22 so that you can have HD on all your units. I have 2 R22's and I like them just fine. I never have problems with them. I also have a HR23 and honestly, my R22's are faster on remote commands with the newest national firmware release.

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
dpeters11 said:
The R22 isn't in production anymore, it was basically an HR21 with HD disabled unless the account already had HD Access through another HR box. The R16 is what you'd get for SD on a SWM setup.

It will not be able to do Whole Home.
The R22 will do SWM and anything else an HR21 can do...but DirecTV pretends it's an SD DVR so you might get one.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
"StephenJC" said:
If I luck out and get an R22, will it support MRV? Like my HR24 and H21 do.
Yes. As soon as it is activated, it should show up as R22 (w/ HD) on the info screen of the DVR. You will need a DECA in order to use it with MRV. If you don't have a DECA, you need to install a BSF (Band Stop Filter).

All that being said, it is very unlikely you will get an R22.

- Merg

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
"ThomasM" said:
The R22 will do SWM and anything else an HR21 can do...but DirecTV pretends it's an SD DVR so you might get one.
I read the original post as there was one HD DVR, then asking about adding an R22. In that case, the R22 would not be able to do Whole Home, it wouldn't be allowed on the account so it can't be activated. Now, the OP already has two HD boxes including DVR so that limitation doesn't apply.

But it's a bit of a moot point. I'll be shocked if DirecTV sends one. Plus on the flip side, if they do actually send an R22 and it develops an issue, a replacement may be an R16. Do they even use R22s for SD only setups in a Mpeg4 market?

· 1*
9,917 Posts
dpeters11 said:
But it's a bit of a moot point. I'll be shocked if DirecTV sends one. Plus on the flip side, if they do actually send an R22 and it develops an issue, a replacement may be an R16. Do they even use R22s for SD only setups in a Mpeg4 market?
No. They now use HR2x's for SD-DVR setups in MPEG-4 markets now.

As for the replacement of a defective R22, you can get a R22 as a replacement as long as you make some noise. You pretty much need to go through case management though to get it done. The basic argument is that you are losing functionality that you had with the R22.

- Merg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.