DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Legend
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a self-install for what I now have, but I want to upgrade to some new equipment with the emphasis on Whole Home HD, add a few receivers, etc. My current wiring is all in-the -wall plus underground from my dish to the house (SWM-8). I also have OTA for some receivers. I'm thinking about DECA, OTA, an HR-34, a couple of AM21s, and several H25s. The wiring in the house (coax) has been there for a while; some cables are unmarked, etc.

Here's my issue. I want to find an installer who will competently do a first-rate job, and I'm prepared to pay for what I get. DirecTV will only send an installer out if they get the order -- in advance. I want to discuss with a potential installer what I'm getting, or should get, and assure myself of the installer's competence. DirecTV won't budge on that.

They said -- try the likes of Best Buy, Radio Shack or Costco. So, I went to Best Buy, and didn't do much better. This is like buying a new car and not being able to talk to the service dept. people, first (or worse).

Is there any way I can get past this? I want to interview the installer, have him look over my set up, and then propose a sale of hardware and an installation proposal. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I just don't want some trainee to walk in the door with whatever he has on the truck.

Any suggestions?

Stan

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
you might have wanted to post this in the installation forum, as you might get more views from installers in your area.

If you're planning to go DECA, then you'll need to plan to stop using diplexing, since OTA and DECA don't mix.

· Legend
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
veryoldschool said:
you might have wanted to post this in the installation forum, as you might get more views from installers in your area.

If you're planning to go DECA, then you'll need to plan to stop using diplexing, since OTA and DECA don't mix.
I figure I'll need some added wiring for the OTA stuff I want to go to two receiver locations.

As for moving this post, can one of you experts do it for me?

Stan

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Stanley Kritzik said:
I figure I'll need some added wiring for the OTA stuff I want to go to two receiver locations.

As for moving this post, can one of you experts do it for me?

Stan
I've asked a mod to move this for you and you might want to post the area you're in for any installers.

· MANC
1,504 Posts
Placing the order in advance dosn't commit you to anything.

When I get there we have to go over the work order and install options, if you don't agree send me on my way. Your out a little time.

· Legend
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
veryoldschool said:
I've asked a mod to move this for you and you might want to post the area you're in for any installers.
And, I'm looking for a tech. who does nice, clean work. I'm happy to pay for great quality.

Stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.