DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some technical advice... I am thinking of scaling back to just 2 receivers and am wondering if I have all the needed equipment to make it happen. I'd like to end up with a full supported DECA/Whole Home configuration. I have disconnected my other HD DVR's (HR20, HR22), and I am planning to ship back to DirecTV.

My Current setup:
5 lnb dish with 4 wires running into a SWiM 8 (don’t see a model number on it)
From the SWiM8, I have a single wire running into a Power Inserter model "PI 29Z"
From the PI 29Z, I run a single wire into the center/middle IN port of an 8 port passive switch model "SWS8WB-WNC"

*New configuration currently working, using Ethernet, not DECA:
From the SWS8WB-WNC, I have 2 coax cables going to 2 different HD DVR's
1) HR24 (both tuners working)
2) HR34 (5 tuners working)

Both DVR's have Cat5 cables connected to my Frontier DSL router... and I have no problem with Whole Home (unsupported), TV Apps, VOD, etc...
I read that both the HR24 and HR34 have built-in DECA, but I am not 100% sure how I'd get the 2 receivers to also access Internet resources. I am guessing an Internet Connection Kit/Module would take care of that, but is there a way to avoid adding that extra cost?

Am I close to having this system SWiM/DECA/Supported WH DVR?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Disconnect the HR24 from ethernet, and rerun satellite setup to get it back to COAX networking. The HR34 already is hooked to the internet, and will act as a bridge. The HR34 and 24 will talk via coax.

If you want to spend the extra money, you can add a coax from the splitter to an DECA connected to the router, and disconnect the HR34 from ethernet as well.

If you choose option 1, I would suggest dumping the 8 port splitter for a 2 port.
If you choose option 2, I would suggest dumping the 8 port splitter for a 4 port.
Less loss.

·
AllStar
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds way too easy... is bridging a new feature just for the HR34? Makes a lot of sense... and saves some $$$, too. I was thinking I'd have to go to eBay or DirecTV to buy a Internet Kit.

Very good info... TY

·
Icon
835 Posts
So you are saying you could On Demand a show on the hr24 with no internet kit? Thats pretty cool. So using the ethernet port on a HR34 does not disable MRV?

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Jodean said:
So using the ethernet port on a HR34 does not disable MRV?
Using ethernet doesn't disable MRV on any receiver.
Maybe what you meant was disabling the internal DECA on the 24s, and while it does, it doesn't on the HR34, which brings up another issue for installers who add an HR34 to a system not using DECA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.