DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· AllStar
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to stay away from an ipad so that I could do Word typing for work. Also wanted to play some low-resolution games. I just didn't know what kind of memory or processor is a must have these days. Suggestions?

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Clark Kent said:
I wanted to stay away from an ipad so that I could do Word typing for work. Also wanted to play some low-resolution games. I just didn't know what kind of memory or processor is a must have these days. Suggestions?
I kind of lost track of the numbering scheme a while ago with the AMD processors. I just got a HP Intel i5 laptop, and its plenty quick compared to laptops I used to own. Since most laptops speed is in the hands of the paging file, I would say get the 64 bit version of windows 7, 8GB of ram. Not sure if an SSD drive would help or not. Anything to prevent spooling of your programs to the paging file helps considerably.

My laptop has windows 7 32bit, and 4GB of ram. I can still tell when its paging to the hard drive, but other than that, its quick. It was right at the $500 mark, on sale. Tigerdirect has them on sale occasionally. AMD's processor laptops are cheaper, but Im not sure if you can just go by the processor speed with those CPUs anymore to compare them with Intel. My i5 is .2GHz slower than the AMD in my old laptop, but the i5 is much faster in use.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
There are many good laptops that meet your basic needs. However, it's helpful to establish some minimum requirements. You'll not want your computer to become obsolete in the near term. You can go down two different paths -- Apple or Windows. Is price a consideration? If not, you may want to look at the Apple MacBook family, but be prepared to spend over $1000.
For a Windows based computer, I'd suggest something in the 15 inch screen range, with 6 GB of memory, Windows 7 Pr3mium 64 bit, a 300 GB or larger hard drive, a fast AMD or Intel processor (dual or quad core), DVD R/W drive, 4 or more hours battery life, dual band wireless-n connectivity. Given these spec's, you can narrow your choices. Personally, I'd be inclined to avoid Dell and Toshiba, but would look at ASUS, Acer, HP and Samsung.
As to Lenovo, they are the successor to IBM in the laptop world. People seem to have mixed opinions about their quality.

· Mr. FixAnything
28,127 Posts
Good idea to consult with professional mechanics ummm ... IT corporate guys who are serving laptops in big quantity. From my days with Dell NB in corporate environment ... I'm still keep running a few D800, D600, D400 taken literally from trash bins ;).

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
My workplace uses Lenovos, and they're pretty good. If you aren't going to do any game playing, then the Intel graphics chipset will do just fine. Since you want to browser the Internet, then built-in wireless is a must. Do you want to watch DVDs on the go?

· Know Nothing
6,269 Posts
I thought Jimmy Olsen handled all this kind of stuff for you at the Daily Planet.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
"Mark Holtz" said:
My workplace uses Lenovos, and they're pretty good. If you aren't going to do any game playing, then the Intel graphics chipset will do just fine. Since you want to browser the Internet, then built-in wireless is a must. Do you want to watch DVDs on the go?
I'd agree on the Intel graphics. Most laptops even with discrete video aren't good for much gaming. The ones that are decent are hot, heavy, loud and terrible battery life. Plus expensive and still not as good as a tower. Plus I've found at least several companies that use AMD video dont let you use normal catalyst drivers. I had to hack the ones from AMDs site to get them to install. When it comes to gaming, drivers are quite important.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Just another thought re: gaming. Probably the best web sites for info on laptops for gaming will be www.maximumpc.com and www.sharkyextreme.com, or simply pick up a copy of either PC Gamer or MaximumPC.
Big names in gaming laptops would be Alienware, CyberPower, iBuyPower, Sager and Samsung. Prices generally start around $775 for systems with I3 processors and NVidia or ATI Radeon graphics.

· Mr. FixAnything
28,127 Posts
Clark Kent said:
I'm learning the jargon that will help with the decision. Most articles say to shoot for an i5 processor and 4 GB. I also liked that the Gateway had a blue ray player.
perhaps the deal ? http://www.frys.com/product/6951917

Acer AS5750-6866, Intel Core i3-2350M, 15.6" Screen Display, Notebook With 4GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, W7 Home Premium

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.