DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is it going to happen? I mean $20 bucks a month for DSL or cable-modem? $40-50 bucks a month is asinine! I hear that the ISPs spent big money on the high speed internets' infrastructure so why don't they collect the cash to pay for it?

Let's take a look at some math here:

$40-50 a month * 0 Rage's = 0 no money.

$20 * 1 Rage * 12 months = $240

1 Rage * 5 years = $1200

0 Rage * $40-50 a month over 5 years = $0

$20 * many Rages who will buy it for $20 over 5 years = lots of cash.

So what are they waiting for?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
At one time I dont know if there still around, there were 2 FREE DSL providers, of coarse there were ad banners and you had to pay for hardware and installation. Leo, did reviews of both services on Call For Help once, I can't remember what he said though.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
I think $40 a month is very reasonable for the speed.

$20 a month = 4K per second download speeds

$40 a month = 250K per second download speeds

That's 62.5 times the speed for 2 times the price.

Granted your mileage may vary but the numbers speak for themselves.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
$20 a month = 4K per second download speeds
If your lucky! I usually get 2.5-3Kbps :(

·
Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
Getting more customers for the service allows them to lower the price because they have more money flowing for one service instead of two. Maybe this would be the same with satellite as well and with a discount for taking both internet and television this would be a great deal if the merger would go through.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
E* used to have, I dont know if they still have it, after the Starband problems, a discount is you have AT150 and Starband. It was $99/month for the 2 services, a savings of $10. Not bad, cable tends to do the samething heres the RoadRunner prices for my area

$40/Month- With TWs highest Digital teir
$50/Month- With other digital teirs or analog cable
$60/Month- With no cable TV service (that would be me)

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
I get a better deal from Cox because I have digital cable. Its either $30 or $35 a month. Its a little hard to keep track because I've got the internet, digital cable, premium channels, and telephone with a package of services. By getting everything we get a special deal, but to figure out exactly what you are paying for everything if you want to take all the special discounts into account can be difficult. Its just one very big check each month. :D

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Uncharacteristically, Rage makes a good point.

That I agree with his logic this time scares the hell outta me. :eek:

Nickster :cool:

·
DishRetailer.com Administrator/Supporter
107 Posts
Here is the price breakdown of the local phone co. that we install DSL for:

128 up/384 down= $29.95/month
128 up/ 768 down = $36.95/month
384 up/ 1.5Mbps down= $ 74.95/month
1.2Mbps up/ 8Mbps (business usage) = $174.95/month

This local phone co. is really cheap for the lower plans, but when you want the higher speed plans, they are at the average cost.

·
Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't even think you can get DSL or Cable Modem where I live.
And with Adelphia being the cable company I don't see them bringing BB service here.

"Its a little hard to keep track because I've got the internet, digital cable, premium channels, and telephone with a package of services."

Well it makes it easy for the FBI to track you.:D

·
Icon
555 Posts
Rage said:
When is it going to happen? I mean $20 bucks a month for DSL or cable-modem? $40-50 bucks a month is asinine! I hear that the ISPs spent big money on the high speed internets' infrastructure so why don't they collect the cash to pay for it?

Let's take a look at some math here:

$40-50 a month * 0 Rage's = 0 no money.

$20 * 1 Rage * 12 months = $240

1 Rage * 5 years = $1200

0 Rage * $40-50 a month over 5 years = $0

$20 * many Rages who will buy it for $20 over 5 years = lots of cash.

So what are they waiting for?
Not to DUH the ragemeister and dig up an old thread but....

0 rage on block with cable internet = ultra high speed (faster than aadvertised!)
1 rage on block with cable internet = very high speed (fast as advertised)
10 rage on block with cable internet = high speed (slower than advertised)
1000 rage on block with cable internet = my dial-up just beat your cable modem.

The more popular cable internet is, the slower it gets. haven't you heard the legends of people on the same block actually chewing each other out for hogging bandwidth?

·
Legend
121 Posts
I have charter 10.0 service for 69.99/month. I know that the 3 is like 24.999 i think and the 5 is like 39.99

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
4AM or 4PM, doesn't matter my Road Runner is rock solid and always fast. 15Mb down/1 Mb up for $49.90/month. A test at speedtest.net will always put me 14Mb+ at any given moment. Verizon can keep their DSL junk for $20 or $30, I'd prefer not to be a turtle on the information superhighway at 3Mbs, it's the new dial up.

But all in all, this is 2008, or it will be in a hour. 15Mb was fast a year ago, now its too slow, I want 20Mb or 25Mb and I'd pay for it. I used to pay $85 for 6Mb Road Runner a few years ago, so I'm willing to pay just about anything under $100 for the fastest connection possible.

I can't complain at all with test numbers

From Maryland (Closest test site)

From Bermuda (Not really optimal test site)

NYC (My preferred test site)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Qwest 1.5mb service is $26.99 for life with a home phone package. I have been very happy with the service and I bundle DirecTV with them to save an extra $5.00.

5.0 is $36.99. 256k is 19.95. $5.00 more per month for all without phone service.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,393 Posts
AT&T still has bundling in most areas for saving $5 off AT&T bill. I used to get 1.5 for $32 a month and now I got 3.0 for $37. Somewhere on AT&T's site is a link to get DSL for $10 a month for a year, the trick is that it's online offer only don't call about it.

·
Icon
669 Posts
I have been in the computer industry for way longer than I care to admit. With that said I think that what I am paying for my FIOS 20/20 Package is awesome ($59/Mo).

A few years ago, for me to get that bandwidth at my company would have cost me upwards of $5k a month. While I know we are comparing apples to oranges when we talk SLA's and such but still nothing in my opinion touches this price which is why I am very happy to pay it.

Verizon also offers a "For Life" plan for their low end DSL which is only $14.99 a month until you cancel. This is only something like 768 down and 128 up but it it better than dial up :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.