DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compared to my Tivo I just replaced, its just not there. Totally counter intuitive as far as navigation, search functions, ease of use, it's so, so, so clunky. A horrible step backwards for me. What a mistake. This unit is like a model T compared to Tivo. Slow to react, impossible to search, and it filters nothing out correctly. HR20...:nono:

· Registered
8,671 Posts
most of it makes sense to me.. just a few of the setup screens are hard to get at.. like CC.. but then I never had a tivo...

· Icon
895 Posts
dugmar said:
Completely counterinutitive isn't bad?
I will agree that DirecTV's branded receivers are slow to react if you came from something else and aren't used to the DirecTV branded slowness. But what problems are you having with everything else?

I came from Charter's "TV Guide Interactive" crap and I picked the DirecTV crap up quite quickly (although I did read the manuals) :D.

· DBSTalk Club Member
1,363 Posts
it takes a while to get used to, being a directtivo addict myself, but it has as many advantages as disadvantages (easier one step recording. single line guide, picture viewing in full guide etc)

If they incorporate dual live buffers, i wouldnt miss my tivo at all.......

· Godfather
349 Posts
dugmar said:
Compared to my Tivo I just replaced, its just not there. Totally counter intuitive as far as navigation, search functions, ease of use, it's so, so, so clunky. A horrible step backwards for me. What a mistake. This unit is like a model T compared to Tivo. Slow to react, impossible to search, and it filters nothing out correctly. HR20...:nono:
Couldn't disagree more. With a few minor exceptions, I appreciate the layout of the HR20 a lot more than the TiVo, and I have a ridiculous amount of time logged on the TiVo interface. Being able to do everything you want to do while still maintaining a tv mode is a huge difference for one. One touch recording is absolutely awesome compared to the klunky hoop jumping you have to do on the TiVo. In fact when I am browsing through the guide with the tv still playing and a picture visible and I have the little "R" show up on a program I have to slap myself and say "Is that it?" because I can't believe that is all I have to do to record a program.

After using an HR20 for a few days it is mind boggling why I have spent a not insignificant portion of my life staring at a green tivo background taking up my entire tv screen. Talk about counter-intuitive. I realize that I am more open and accepting to change then the average person and am very much a glass-half full as opposed to half empty, but none-the-less I haven't shared your problems with it so far. I haven't had any issue searching or finding for things I wanted, and far as slow to react, not sure what kind of TiVo you had, but probably my number one issue with my vast collection of TiVos is sluggish performance across the board. I have been pretty pleased so far, and since I still have many other TiVos I use I am able to go back and forth and compare performance and feel... like I said, I have been pleasantly suprised so far. Based on some of the complaints I read here, I was really anticipating something much worse, something along the lines of the SA box I had from the cable company 3 or 4 years ago.

· Legend
101 Posts
dugmar said:
Hehe, I said the exact same thing when I went from cable and my ReplayTV to DTV and Tivo. It's just a matter of what you're used to... you'll get used to the new as well. As long as it works as advertised. :nono2:

--Mike

11,606 Posts
At first I hated the HR20 interface. Been 3 days now and it's really growing on me. Actually starting to very much like it. Agree with the comment above about picture in upper right (very productive) and also hitting "r" to record is instantaneous. Even the remote is starting to get more comfortable ... takes time ...

· Icon
797 Posts
dugmar said:
Completely counterinutitive isn't bad?
Your intuition is biased to what you've previously trained.

Put a set of brand new users in front of an HR20 and an HR10-250 and I'd bet anything that as a group they find the HR20 overwhelmingly more intuitive.

I'm not saying you should love the HR20, just pointing out your strong (maybe insurmountable) interface bias.

· AllStar
66 Posts
I also went though a learning curve when I moved from a D* SD Tivo box to the HR-20. The only real issue I have is since the "Channels I Get" still lists all possible channels it is almost impossible to perform a "Catagorie" sort. This feature will be useless until they get the "Channels I Get" to list properly.

· Legend
329 Posts
dugmar said:
Your opioion and I respect that but for me the contiouous live audio even while setting a new recording and the "one touch" record feature not to mention other features makes the HR20 much better for me. I've really enjoyed mine even with the few remaining bugs it has.

J C

· DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
At first I thought it sucked after using my Tivo. Now I am used to it's features but not it's lack of features. Would be nice if they would get the search feature working. If they ever get everything working with no bugs the HR20 could be one of the best there is. If not then they will have to scrap it or lose viewers.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Interface is fine with me (it buries a few things, but one person's important feature buried is another person's "I don't use it, why don't they stick it somewhere else".

I found it easy to learn and perfectly functional.

As with any opinion (especially on the appeal of a GUI), with it and 50 cents, you get a cup of coffee.

I do find it entertaining that someone pulls out the big gun of POS on such a subjective and trivial issue. (there's another 50 cents for ya!)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.