DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to watch Justified last night and the screen just froze. It didn't say the satellite was lost and it didn't get pixelated. I tried to use the remote but it wasn't responsive.

I went to be bedroom to record it on that room's HR20 and the tv went on but the screen was black, almost like the dvr was off. I pushed the power button and no response. Remote didn't work either.

I went to the HR20 in my spare bedroom and it was doing the same thing.

I pushed the red button on the HR20 in the spare room and my living room and they started working normally once they came back up completely.

By the time I got back to my master bedroom, that DVR was working normally without me rebooting it.

Any ideas what issue I was having?

At first I thought the hard drive in the HR20 in my living room was failing because it sounded kind of loud at the time but not after all 3 were acting weird.

I don't think I had a power issue and 2 of the 3 are connected to their own UPS (although not sure of the status of each battery).

·
Legend
325 Posts
All 3 at once is curious.

I am no expert but that smacks of corrupted firmware. Especially if your dish is functional and the reboots fixed everything. You might check your history file and see if you recently got a software download. Unlikely but you never know with these old receivers.

I have a couple of HR20's + whole home and every once in a while the devices drop off the network (I am using a legacy ethernet connection for my whole home) and have to be restarted.

Dave

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
No it doesn't smack of corrupted firmware. It smacks of a frozen or confused swim or multi switch IMHO. Or a network issue. Or a guide data issue. Not simply the boxes being bad.

Someone said something was wrong yesterday with the entire system but we can't figure out what he meant was wrong. This could have been a symptom as well.
To the op are you in a swim system? Internet connected how?

·
Legend
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
inkahauts said:
No it doesn't smack of corrupted firmware. It smacks of a frozen or confused swim or multi switch IMHO. Or a network issue. Or a guide data issue. Not simply the boxes being bad.

Someone said something was wrong yesterday with the entire system but we can't figure out what he meant was wrong. This could have been a symptom as well.
To the op are you in a swim system? Internet connected how?
No SWM

Multiswitch in closet (I forgot which kind. 5x8?)

each HR20 hard wired to network switches (I have cat5 throughout the house)

·
AllStar
139 Posts
heathramos said:
I was about to watch Justified last night and the screen just froze. It didn't say the satellite was lost and it didn't get pixelated. I tried to use the remote but it wasn't responsive.

I went to be bedroom to record it on that room's HR20 and the tv went on but the screen was black, almost like the dvr was off. I pushed the power button and no response. Remote didn't work either.

I went to the HR20 in my spare bedroom and it was doing the same thing.

I pushed the red button on the HR20 in the spare room and my living room and they started working normally once they came back up completely.

By the time I got back to my master bedroom, that DVR was working normally without me rebooting it.

Any ideas what issue I was having?

At first I thought the hard drive in the HR20 in my living room was failing because it sounded kind of loud at the time but not after all 3 were acting weird.

I don't think I had a power issue and 2 of the 3 are connected to their own UPS (although not sure of the status of each battery).
Interesting. I've been seeing similar behavior. In my case, so far, it has been confined to a single program, "Sherlock" on BBCA. It has happened on the last 3 episodes. It happens roughly 5 minutes into the show. The screen goes black. The remote doesn't fix it. Then all is well in about a minute.

I have "Justified" recorded, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'll let you know if the problem appears on my recording.

·
Legend
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe I should use this as an excuse to upgrade to the Genie.

I have the protection plan so I think the upgrade is free.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
heathramos said:
maybe I should use this as an excuse to upgrade to the Genie.

I have the protection plan so I think the upgrade is free.
Sure, any excuse is a good excuse to upgrade to the Genie!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.