DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here, so if someone would please clarify this for me...

There are really two classifications of RSN, if I understand correctly. First, we have the one (or ones) we're authorized to see for all professional games all the time. Second, we have all of the others that are out of market. On these, the good content is all blacked out almost all of the time, unless you're a college sports fan.

My question... why would someone in Texas care about the addition of, say, FSN Pittsburgh to the full-time HD lineup?

Don't get me wrong, I'm exited for my fellow D* subs in Pittsburgh, but is there any advantage for an FSN Southwest resident such as myself when D* adds an out-of-market RSN... other than college games?

This brings up a further question: What's the advantage of the sports pack? Is it only useful for college fans?

Thanks! I'm confused, as you can see! :confused:

· Icon
647 Posts
I watch the Pre and Post game shows on NESN (from here in NC), which a lot of time not available on the MLBEI feed.

I plus watch Jets postgame on SNY after Jets games.

Stuff like that is why I get the SportsPack.

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
miketorse said:
I watch the Pre and Post game shows on NESN (from here in NC), which a lot of time not available on the MLBEI feed.

Agreed. The RSNs can serve as distant locals for sport fans. I've watched several out of market HD sports programs on them that are unique to their area.

· Hall Of Fame
2,844 Posts
Plus NBAtv, 3 soccer channels, outdoors channels, etc

The pre and post game shows on most RSNs are really good.

· Hall Of Fame
3,041 Posts
bryanw3535 said:
I'm a newbie here, so if someone would please clarify this for me...

There are really two classifications of RSN, if I understand correctly. First, we have the one (or ones) we're authorized to see for all professional games all the time. Second, we have all of the others that are out of market. On these, the good content is all blacked out almost all of the time, unless you're a college sports fan.

My question... why would someone in Texas care about the addition of, say, FSN Pittsburgh to the full-time HD lineup?

Don't get me wrong, I'm exited for my fellow D* subs in Pittsburgh, but is there any advantage for an FSN Southwest resident such as myself when D* adds an out-of-market RSN... other than college games?

This brings up a further question: What's the advantage of the sports pack? Is it only useful for college fans?

Thanks! I'm confused, as you can see! :confused:
Different strokes for different folks. Plenty of sports fans are very happy because of it.

More HD is coming which will benefit other customers with their choices in programming.

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
miketorse said:

Probably shouldn't say this around you know who...(Sorry Satelliteracer....:D) but last week's Jets replay on SNY was shown in the clear.....

· Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought about pre- and post-game content.

Watching a postgame show for some of the pro teams I follow that are out of market would be nice.

It'd be like a 30- or 60-minute highlight show about just that one game instead of the 10 seconds some teams get on SportsCenter...

· Legend
169 Posts
For the fortunate folks like me who live in areas claimed by multiple teams, SportsPack can be a big benefit for pro sports as well.

In Des Moines, without Sports Pack:
MLB: Cubs, White Sox
NBA: Bulls
NHL: Blackhawks
(4 teams)

With Sports Pack:
MLB: Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Cardinals, Royals, Brewers
NBA: Bulls, Timberwolves
NHL: Blackhawks, Wild, Blues
(11 teams)

So Sports Pack gets me 7 teams that I wouldn't get otherwise.

· Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
Hmmmmm....along all these thought lines....I guess since I'm not a Cowboys fan, there will be no need to put them in the NFL Sunday Ticket lineup... :D
Good one, but you clearly missed my point.

I was never saying that D* shouldn't add an RSN simply because I don't live in a particular region or because I'm not a fan of a particular team.

All I was asking was how others use out-of-market RSNs when a lot of content is blacked out.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
bryanw3535 said:

I was never saying that D* shouldn't add an RSN simply because I don't live in a particular region or because I'm not a fan of a particular team.

All I was asking was how others use out-of-market RSNs when a lot of content is blacked out.
The whole Blackout thing is a pain in general, and I agree its a valid issue.

· Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
The whole Blackout thing is a pain in general, and I agree its a valid issue.
Right. I understand the whole idea of restrictions and making advertisers happy and blah blah blah...

But wouldn't it be easier if we just gave the power to the people? This is America after all... !pride

· Godfather
308 Posts
bryanw3535 said:

i think it was answered ..most of us love college sports , games that were in Gameplan or not last year , but not regional ..were in hd ..
alot of big 12 and pac 10 games shown for us here in ohio , that may have been better games then big 10,espn,or abc wwere showing local to us ..it just give me more chances ...
you also get cbs sports , which should be true hd this year and espnu /...

again college

· Icon
528 Posts
They are most defintely NOT useless, and it's one of the big reasons people say "if you're a sports fan at ALL, you get DIRECTV over any other choice". NO ONE brings you out of market RSNs like D* does.

To answer the original question, I like them for the pre/post games for baseball mostly.

And ofcourse the out-of-market ads :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.