DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Direct tv said if I wired the 2 rooms myself I just need the receivers from them and not the pro-installation(which I'll save $120).So, my question is how do I run the cable(RG6,from what I've read thus far)to the other rooms?

The other rooms will not have hdtv just the standard digital receivers.

Any help will be appreciated.Thanks,Shawn

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rudeney said:
Can you describe what you have now, i.e. dish type, multiswitches, receiver models? Do the other rooms already have wiring for cable TV?
Well the dish has 3 white whatever on it.There are what seems to be 2 doubled lines coming from the dish to my basement,it is then connected to some type of splitter/multi-switch which has 4 inputs and 4 outputs.All 4 outputs are being used(2,from my understanding are for my hdtv feed and the other 2 are into the rooms with basic digital.) and thats it.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,954 Posts
Please be more specific than "white whatever" (LNB feed horns).

Where possible, we need to know model numbers or at the very least the manufacturer of the device in question.

We also need to know exactly what kind of receivers you plan on adding (ie HD receiver, SD DVR, etc).

When you ask for help, you need to throw us a bone in terms of what you have as we can't inspect your setup from where we are.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
harsh said:
Please be more specific than "white whatever" (LNB feed horns).

Where possible, we need to know model numbers or at the very least the manufacturer of the device in question.

We also need to know exactly what kind of receivers you plan on adding (ie HD receiver, SD DVR, etc).

When you ask for help, you need to throw us a bone in terms of what you have as we can't inspect your setup from where we are.
Ok...i said 3 white whatever and you came back with LNB feed horns.Like the average guy would know that terminology.So I have 3 lnb feed horns on my hdtv(3 lnb slimline) dish.2 doubled cables(2 seperate cables each housing 2 cables inside) coming from my dish into my basement and connected to what I feel is a 4 port multiswitch(the output side of this multiswitch has 2 feeds leading to my hd-dvr(HR-20) and each additional feed(2 seperate feeds left) are running to 2 different rooms each connected to basic boxes(digital but no hd or dvr capability.Would I need to disconnect one of the digital(basic/standard receivers) feeds and add another multiswitch?Reinstall the basic feed I just connected and then run my 2 new rooms from that multiswitch?

· Registered
8,671 Posts
vampyr972 said:
Ok...i said 3 white whatever and you came back with LNB feed horns.Like the average guy would know that terminology.So I have 3 lnb feed horns on my hdtv(3 lnb slimline) dish.2 doubled cables(2 seperate cables each housing 2 cables inside) coming from my dish into my basement and connected to what I feel is a 4 port multiswitch(the output side of this multiswitch has 2 feeds leading to my hd-dvr(HR-20) and each additional feed(2 seperate feeds left) are running to 2 different rooms each connected to basic boxes(digital but no hd or dvr capability.Would I need to disconnect one of the digital(basic/standard receivers) feeds and add another multiswitch?Reinstall the basic feed I just connected and then run my 2 new rooms from that multiswitch?
4in/4out sounds weird for a switch.. Can you post a pic?
What I think you need to do is unhook the lines from the dish inside, hook them to a WB68 (40$), then hook your exsisting lines to the outputs of the WB68.. this will leave 4 extra ports for your new runs..

· Godfather
499 Posts
From what you write, it sounds like the dish was upgraded when you got the HR20 DVR installed, correct? The new dish has the word "slimline" printed on it, correct? Apprears that that 4x4 multiswitch is a leftover from the previous dish and should have been replaced by a new multiswitch when you got the upgrade. Installer must have missed it as it's not permitted with newer HD equipment.

Given the cost of the new multiswitch, the approved RG6 cable, compression connectors, and tools plus your time and effort and the learning curve, I think that the $120 would be money well spent. And it would all be done and working in a couple of hours.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
vampyr972 said:
Well the dish has 3 white whatever on it.There are what seems to be 2 doubled lines coming from the dish to my basement,it is then connected to some type of splitter/multi-switch which has 4 inputs and 4 outputs.All 4 outputs are being used(2,from my understanding are for my hdtv feed and the other 2 are into the rooms with basic digital.) and thats it.
from what I read, you need a new multiswitch. one that is 4 X 8 should be ok. if you have HD, you need one that is Wide Band. replace the one that you have now. and run the new lines to the bottom of the switch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.