DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Legend
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone here knew if there was any particular rhyme or reason to what gets broadcast on the alternat RSN channels. Tonight, the Caps game is on a local channel that isn't picked up by DTV, so we all just assumed that we were SOL for the game tonight. But after the game had started, a bunch of us found it on one of the alternate RSNs - 659. Did we just get lucky tonight, or can we hope to see more of the games we wouldn't normally get on these alternate channels? Is it a location/spot beam based thing, or can everyone seem the Caps/Sens game on 659 tonight?

·
Mentor
34 Posts
HockeyKat said:
I was just wondering if anyone here knew if there was any particular rhyme or reason to what gets broadcast on the alternat RSN channels. Tonight, the Caps game is on a local channel that isn't picked up by DTV, so we all just assumed that we were SOL for the game tonight. But after the game had started, a bunch of us found it on one of the alternate RSNs - 659. Did we just get lucky tonight, or can we hope to see more of the games we wouldn't normally get on these alternate channels? Is it a location/spot beam based thing, or can everyone seem the Caps/Sens game on 659 tonight?
I was told that Caps games broadcast on Newschannel 8 could be also seen on a DirecTV RSNA. If you look under Sportspack on the DirecTV website the day of the game, they will show what channel it will be on under Comcast Mid-Atlantic as seen below. Great game, eh?

Ottawa Senators at Washington Capitals
"Ottawa Senators @ Washington Capitals"

Channel: 659 CSN Air Time: Monday, November 6 7:00 PM EST Duration: 150 minutes Categories: Sports MPAA Rating: NR (Not Rated)

·
Legend
121 Posts
Likewise, can we be as hopeful for Washington Wizards games shown on NewsChannel 8 to make their way to one of the D* RSNAs?

·
Legend
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it was a great comeback of a game! Too bad I gave up my tickets for the night! :lol:

So then does this mean that it's a regional/spot beam type thing? Different markets getting different games on those alternates? I can't imagine that the whole country would necessarily be subected to Caps games on alternate RSN channels because it's on a channel DTV doesn't usually carry. But a few people on the Caps board said that they get all the CN8 games on the alternate channels.

Now if I could just get WB(or whatever it's called now) 50 in the Baltimore market...

·
Mentor
34 Posts
luvdtv04 said:
Likewise, can we be as hopeful for Washington Wizards games shown on NewsChannel 8 to make their way to one of the D* RSNAs?
I actually work for the Wizards and I'm embarrassed that I don't know the answer to that question. I work all the games so I'm never home to watch. I'll have to check and let you know.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
HockeyKat said:
Yes, it was a great comeback of a game! Too bad I gave up my tickets for the night! :lol:

So then does this mean that it's a regional/spot beam type thing? Different markets getting different games on those alternates? I can't imagine that the whole country would necessarily be subected to Caps games on alternate RSN channels because it's on a channel DTV doesn't usually carry. But a few people on the Caps board said that they get all the CN8 games on the alternate channels.

Now if I could just get WB(or whatever it's called now) 50 in the Baltimore market...
I think that they black out the games out of market but I'm not positive. I thought they only use spot beam for locals. I could be wrong.

·
Legend
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GA20646 said:
I think that they black out the games out of market but I'm not positive. I thought they only use spot beam for locals. I could be wrong.
I'd love to know for sure how they work stuff like this on the RSNs. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, as long as I get my games. Just the nerd in me, I guess. :D

·
Legend
121 Posts
GA20646 said:
I actually work for the Wizards and I'm embarrassed that I don't know the answer to that question. I work all the games so I'm never home to watch. I'll have to check and let you know.
I am pleased to report that I am watching tonight's Nets @ Wizards game on RSNa channel 659. I guess the Wizards' NewsChannel 8 games are making their way to D* after all. This is great news! :)

·
Legend
121 Posts
Actually I guess I was watching a few minutes of Steve McNair talking at a post-game press conference. Now the channel is "temporarily unavailable."

·
Godfather
306 Posts
FavreJL04 said:
As fas as I know the RSN alternates are on the national beam just like the RSNs.
Are you sure about that? Because it seems to me like my local RSN has a much clearer picture than the others. For example, when they all show the same college football game on Saturdays, I will compare for a few minutes, and notice that my designated local RSN had a better PQ.

Not that it matters all that much, but I am curious about that.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
jimbo09 said:
Are you sure about that? Because it seems to me like my local RSN has a much clearer picture than the others. For example, when they all show the same college football game on Saturdays, I will compare for a few minutes, and notice that my designated local RSN had a better PQ.

Not that it matters all that much, but I am curious about that.
The SD RSNs (including alternates) are not spot-beamed--they're available nationally (see http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa101.html). Nor would spot-beaming necessarily result in better PQ.

Not doubting what you see, though. The PQ of the various RSNs when showing the same game/show will definitely vary (from just plain awful to pretty good). I haven't always found it to be consistent as to which channels look better at different times, though. If yours tends to look better all the time, count your blessings :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.