DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm technically not, but I couldn't think of a better title. :) My situation is slightly complicated and I'm looking to see if anybody has any advice or experience in a similar situation.

Around 1998, while I was in high school, I signed up for DirecTV for my parents. They have kept the service to this day and my name is still on the account (I don't think it's possible to change the name on the account, BTW).

Three years ago, I moved to Las Vegas and my roommate signed up for DirecTV in his name and we kept the service for 9 months. He moved back and I moved into a new apartment, hoping to continue the service. My balcony faces South so I didn't think there would be a problem, but when the guy came out to install a new dish, he said a tree branch was in the way. I knew about the branch, but thought it would be ok because the dish would get the signal below it. So, because of the contract, I suspended my service (instead of paying the fee to cancel) and had to get cable. I have resuspended the service about 3 times since and finally just closed the account 2 weeks ago (they said nothing about paying an early termination fee). I have yet to receive the check for the credit balance that I had. After I moved to this apartment 2 years ago, I changed the phone number, email address, and credit card to my info. The official name on the account stayed as my friend's.

Sorry, for the length, but that is the pertinent history. My apartment complex has recently come under new ownership and with the coming NFL season, I want Sunday Ticket more than ever. So I asked them if they can cut off a branch or 2 so I get get a dish -- they say yes. What I'm looking for now is the best way to get the best possible deal I can given my situation. I have read other threads on how to achieve this both as a new and current customer.

My current cell phone number (the only phone I have) is still linked to my buddy's account. My name is associated with my parent's account. Is there any way I can sign up for a new account under my name? I can't remember if they ask for a Social Security # but I'm sure they do. Would it be a problem if I signed up under my dad's name and SS #? It's not like I'd be doing this fraudulently because he would give me his permission, etc. Do they ask for ID or SS card?

Please advise on the smoothest way to do this while getting the perks I deserve. I think there are 3 or 4 different things I could do, but I'm really not sure which would be best.

Thank you for any help or suggestions you can give!

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Technically, you would not be a new subscriber as there is already an account in your name. Could you use your dad's name? Sure, but then he is ultimately responsible for everything with that account--just the way you are with the account that you set up for them.

- Merg

· Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
DirecTV frowns on opening up accounts in someone else's name. In fact, should it be found out, don't be suprised if DirecTV shuts down that account. In this day and age, I wouldn't open up anything in anyone else's name, even if it is a family member. Best thing would be to explain to DirecTV everything you stated in your original post and see what they offer you.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the replies. As I thought, many different opinions on the subject. Using the Mover's Connection and having my parents open a new account there would create some big problems (They have 3 TVs, I have 1. They'd have to ship a receiver here, etc etc.), so I'm not going to do that. I think I'm leaning towards opening an account in my dad's name. Do they ask for a SS# and/or proof when they come to install? I just don't want this to be a hassle, but I've got a feeling it's going to be. I am still considering explaining the situation to them and getting another account in my name. But I don't think I'd get anything close to the discounts a new customer would for NFL Sunday Ticket and the like.

If you had a tree problem for the 18" dish (101) can you even see all 5 satellites for the Slimline?
Could you explain this further? I've never had a dish since I've had an HDTV.

Thanks again.

· Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
mebedaman said:
Thank you for the replies. As I thought, many different opinions on the subject. Using the Mover's Connection and having my parents open a new account there would create some big problems (They have 3 TVs, I have 1. They'd have to ship a receiver here, etc etc.), so I'm not going to do that. I think I'm leaning towards opening an account in my dad's name. Do they ask for a SS# and/or proof when they come to install? I just don't want this to be a hassle, but I've got a feeling it's going to be. I am still considering explaining the situation to them and getting another account in my name. But I don't think I'd get anything close to the discounts a new customer would for NFL Sunday Ticket and the like.

Could you explain this further? I've never had a dish since I've had an HDTV.

Thanks again.
Yes, they ask for all personal identification information. As I stated earlier, it is doubtful DirecTV will open up an account in someone else's name besides yours. At least they will not do it knowingly. And when they find out you violated their terms of service, etc, etc, they will shut down your account. And trust me, taking someone else's identity to save a few bucks and get a few freebies from DirecTV, isn't worth it in the long run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.